Jan 17, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Some IndyCar observers likely cocked an eyebrow when Panther Racing revealed that Formula Renault 3.5 (World Series by Renault) driver Carlos Huertas was going to test for them in today’s Chevrolet IndyCar manufacturer test at Sebring International Raceway.
Let’s face it – the announcement seemed a bit out of left field. But, likely recognizing the fact that not many IndyCar diehards would know about him, the team has put out a brief video with Huertas talking about his chance to take the reins of the No. 4 Chevy (pictured) in the test.
“I’m excited, because it’s a different challenge,” the 22-year-old Colombian says in the clip. “Obviously, it’s a different series, very different from what I’m used to. The car should be very similar in some respects to what I’m used to, and I’m just excited working with another team, another series, being in another country…It’s a new challenge.”
Huertas also touched on other topics, including who he considers as his driving hero and his thoughts on potentially racing against one of his country’s most famous drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya, now back in IndyCar with Team Penske.
Video from NASCAR America
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0