Jan 17, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Some IndyCar observers likely cocked an eyebrow when Panther Racing revealed that Formula Renault 3.5 (World Series by Renault) driver Carlos Huertas was going to test for them in today’s Chevrolet IndyCar manufacturer test at Sebring International Raceway.
Let’s face it – the announcement seemed a bit out of left field. But, likely recognizing the fact that not many IndyCar diehards would know about him, the team has put out a brief video with Huertas talking about his chance to take the reins of the No. 4 Chevy (pictured) in the test.
“I’m excited, because it’s a different challenge,” the 22-year-old Colombian says in the clip. “Obviously, it’s a different series, very different from what I’m used to. The car should be very similar in some respects to what I’m used to, and I’m just excited working with another team, another series, being in another country…It’s a new challenge.”
Huertas also touched on other topics, including who he considers as his driving hero and his thoughts on potentially racing against one of his country’s most famous drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya, now back in IndyCar with Team Penske.
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)