Jan 17, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Some IndyCar observers likely cocked an eyebrow when Panther Racing revealed that Formula Renault 3.5 (World Series by Renault) driver Carlos Huertas was going to test for them in today’s Chevrolet IndyCar manufacturer test at Sebring International Raceway.
Let’s face it – the announcement seemed a bit out of left field. But, likely recognizing the fact that not many IndyCar diehards would know about him, the team has put out a brief video with Huertas talking about his chance to take the reins of the No. 4 Chevy (pictured) in the test.
“I’m excited, because it’s a different challenge,” the 22-year-old Colombian says in the clip. “Obviously, it’s a different series, very different from what I’m used to. The car should be very similar in some respects to what I’m used to, and I’m just excited working with another team, another series, being in another country…It’s a new challenge.”
Huertas also touched on other topics, including who he considers as his driving hero and his thoughts on potentially racing against one of his country’s most famous drivers, Juan Pablo Montoya, now back in IndyCar with Team Penske.
Video from NASCAR America
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0
- 16-year-old Cole Custer becomes youngest-ever winner of NASCAR national series race 0
- F1 Qualifying Analysis: Missed opportunities allow Hamilton to rule again 0
- Tyler Clary hopes to go from Olympic gold medal swimmer to NASCAR driver 0
- Hamilton snatches Singapore pole away from Rosberg 0
- Fernando Alonso closes out practice in Singapore fastest 0
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0