Jan 17, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
The STR 9 – Scuderia Toro Rosso’s 2014 challenger that will be piloted by veteran Jean-Eric Vergne (pictured) and rookie Daniil Kvyat – is set for launch on the pit lane at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain on Jan. 27 – one day before the first Formula One preseason test of the year begins.
STR is undergoing a bit of a change this year, and not just with Kvyat coming on to replace Daniel Ricciardo, now up at the senior Red Bull team alongside World Champion Sebastian Vettel.
After being powered by Ferrari for seven years, STR is now in line with Red Bull as a Renault-powered operation per their announcement last May at the Monaco Grand Prix.
According to a team statement, Vergne, entering an important third season with STR, will get first crack at the new car in the opening day of testing at Jerez on Jan. 28.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 2
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 2
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 14
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (14)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (7)