Jan 17, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
The STR 9 – Scuderia Toro Rosso’s 2014 challenger that will be piloted by veteran Jean-Eric Vergne (pictured) and rookie Daniil Kvyat – is set for launch on the pit lane at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain on Jan. 27 – one day before the first Formula One preseason test of the year begins.
STR is undergoing a bit of a change this year, and not just with Kvyat coming on to replace Daniel Ricciardo, now up at the senior Red Bull team alongside World Champion Sebastian Vettel.
After being powered by Ferrari for seven years, STR is now in line with Red Bull as a Renault-powered operation per their announcement last May at the Monaco Grand Prix.
According to a team statement, Vergne, entering an important third season with STR, will get first crack at the new car in the opening day of testing at Jerez on Jan. 28.
- Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close 0
- MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP 0
- Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver 2
- 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview 2
- Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated) 3