Jan 19, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
The Chip Ganassi Racing organization is not one to rest on its laurels. Judging by the quotes issued after Friday’s Chevrolet manufacturer test at Sebring International Raceway, the team continues to improve at the site of its much ballyhooed single-day test last June in a quest to take home another IndyCar Series championship.
Defending series champion Scott Dixon said the team is already adjusting well to the engine change from Honda to Chevrolet, and that he was able to crank out a series of consistent laps.
“Yeah it was really good,” Dixon said. “We had lots of different things to get through obviously and different sort of projects for each car. But the engine package just ran. We had a couple of little issues to work out, but you expect that with a brand new engine for the season. Really excited to see that it runs, it just runs.”
Chip Ganassi Racing managing director Mike Hull offered a key insight on Twitter during the test of Dixon’s feedback level, one which he called “active.” See the tweet below.
Discovered @scottdixon9 has 1 level above loose; refers to it as “active” so it’s neutral/loose/active; active’s fast for a short run.
— Mike Hull (@IndyMHull) January 17, 2014
Dixon’s teammate Charlie Kimball made sure to praise the input and feedback of Dario Franchitti, who is now retired from driving but still actively assisting the team. Franchitti was on site in Sebring.
“I think as a team we really fed off each other today,” said Kimball, who won his first. I can’t go without saying how much we appreciated having Dario (Franchitti) around actually for additional perspective. He is very good at that. That was helpful, but as far as all four of us the day went reasonably flawlessly as far as on-track mechanical stuff.”
The two new team members, Tony Kanaan and Ryan Briscoe, were pleased as well. Briscoe’s thoughts can be found here while Kanaan said despite his still getting used to the new car, it was a trouble-free day.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52