Jan 20, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Caterham’s 2014 driver lineup remains officially undetermined at this time, but a French report says that Charles Pic, who competed with the team last season alongside Giedo van der Garde, will not be returning.
L’Equipe quotes Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul as confirming the Frenchman’s departure from the Leafield team. However, the report does also note that Pic could be in the running for a third driver gig at Lotus.
Pic was expected to be a team leader at Caterham in 2013 after completing his rookie season with Marussia, but his second year in Formula One was marred by mechanical failures and driving errors on his part. Marussia also beat out Caterham for the 10th position in the constructors’ championship.
With Pic now out of the picture, it remains to be seen if van der Garde will retain his seat – although reports are starting to center around a likely pairing between former Sauber driver Kamui Kobayashi and GP2 racer Marcus Ericsson. Kobayashi has been among those linked to a Caterham ride, along with van der Garde, Ericsson, and Heikki Kovalainen.
While the team has yet to reveal its new pairing (and seemingly had a bit of fun last Friday with the subject), it has confirmed its presence for the entirety of preseason testing, starting with next week’s sessions at Jerez.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2
- Hamilton rules in Singapore to re-take championship lead as Rosberg retires 1