Jan 20, 2014, 2:24 PM EST
Caterham’s 2014 driver lineup remains officially undetermined at this time, but a French report says that Charles Pic, who competed with the team last season alongside Giedo van der Garde, will not be returning.
L’Equipe quotes Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul as confirming the Frenchman’s departure from the Leafield team. However, the report does also note that Pic could be in the running for a third driver gig at Lotus.
Pic was expected to be a team leader at Caterham in 2013 after completing his rookie season with Marussia, but his second year in Formula One was marred by mechanical failures and driving errors on his part. Marussia also beat out Caterham for the 10th position in the constructors’ championship.
With Pic now out of the picture, it remains to be seen if van der Garde will retain his seat – although reports are starting to center around a likely pairing between former Sauber driver Kamui Kobayashi and GP2 racer Marcus Ericsson. Kobayashi has been among those linked to a Caterham ride, along with van der Garde, Ericsson, and Heikki Kovalainen.
While the team has yet to reveal its new pairing (and seemingly had a bit of fun last Friday with the subject), it has confirmed its presence for the entirety of preseason testing, starting with next week’s sessions at Jerez.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)