Jan 20, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Caterham’s 2014 driver lineup remains officially undetermined at this time, but a French report says that Charles Pic, who competed with the team last season alongside Giedo van der Garde, will not be returning.
L’Equipe quotes Caterham team principal Cyril Abiteboul as confirming the Frenchman’s departure from the Leafield team. However, the report does also note that Pic could be in the running for a third driver gig at Lotus.
Pic was expected to be a team leader at Caterham in 2013 after completing his rookie season with Marussia, but his second year in Formula One was marred by mechanical failures and driving errors on his part. Marussia also beat out Caterham for the 10th position in the constructors’ championship.
With Pic now out of the picture, it remains to be seen if van der Garde will retain his seat – although reports are starting to center around a likely pairing between former Sauber driver Kamui Kobayashi and GP2 racer Marcus Ericsson. Kobayashi has been among those linked to a Caterham ride, along with van der Garde, Ericsson, and Heikki Kovalainen.
While the team has yet to reveal its new pairing (and seemingly had a bit of fun last Friday with the subject), it has confirmed its presence for the entirety of preseason testing, starting with next week’s sessions at Jerez.
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4