Jan 21, 2014, 7:29 AM EDT
After weeks, perhaps even months of speculation, Caterham has confirmed its 2014 drivers in both Formula One and GP2. The Tony Fernandes-led squad revealed its lineup at the team’s base in Leafield this morning.
Kamui Kobayashi returns to F1 after a year’s absence, with the Japanese veteran joined by Swedish rookie Marcus Ericsson, who steps up from GP2. Robin Frijns and Alexander Rossi are the team’s reserve drivers; Rossi and Rio Haryanto will race for Caterham Racing in GP2.
“I’m very pleased we can finally unveil our F1 and GP2 drivers for the year ahead,” said team principal Cyril Abiteboul. “The process may have taken longer than we’d have liked, but we didn’t want or need to be rushed into such important decisions, and we have been in the happy position of having a wide range of drivers to choose from for both series.”
Of the F1 pairing, Abiteboul said, ”In F1, I’m delighted that we’ve been able to bring Kamui back. He is a very popular driver and it’s very good for the whole team that we’ve been able to attract such an exciting driver to join us at a critical point in our development. Alongside him is Marcus who will be racing in his debut F1 season, but as a driver who has prepared perfectly for the step up with his graduation through the ranks. He’s physically and mentally prepared for what lies ahead, and he will have all the support we can give him across the team to help him fulfil his obvious potential in Formula One.”
Kobayashi raced the last two Grands Prix of 2009 with Toyota before completing three seasons with the Sauber team from 2010 through 2012. A third place in the 2012 Japanese Grand Prix stands as a career highlight before Kobayashi branched off into the FIA World Endurance Championhip in a GTE Pro class Ferrari F458 Italia last year.
“We’ve been talking to Cyril and Tony since last year about driving for the team for 2014 and beyond,” said Kobayashi. “Throughout all our discussions I’ve been very impressed with where they want to take the team and how much investment has been made already to help them achieve their goals. For me, it’s a great honor that the team hired me based on the value I bring in racing terms and the experience I have.”
Meanwhile, Ericsson said, “This is a very proud day for me and everyone who has helped make my F1 dream come true. I’ll be making the step up to F1 with Caterham F1 Team in 2014 and I’m already excited about the season ahead, and the first race in Australia in particular.”
Later on Tuesday, Caterham confirmed Ericsson would take race number 9 with Kobayashi 10 for the duration of their careers. The likelihood of the Kobayashi-Ericsson pairing came together when it was revealed earlier this week Charles Pic, one of the 2013 Caterham drivers, wouldn’t return. Giedo van der Garde, too, is now also out after just one season.
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 2
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)