Jan 21, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Marcus Ericsson, the 23-year-old Swede, rounds out the rookie class for the 2014 Formula One season as he’s been confirmed as Caterham’s second driver on Tuesday. He’ll join fellow first-timers Kevin Magnussen at McLaren and Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso.
Ericsson said he has been training hard for the opportunity to advance into F1.
“After a good break at home over Christmas, the hard work has already started,” he said. “My physical fitness has always been good but I’ve been working even more on that since the discussions with Caterham began. I’m going to be in the factory in Leafield as much as I can before and during the tests in Spain and Bahrain so I can play an active role in helping understand the 2014 car, and what we need to do to unlock its performance. We have a big task in front of us but it’s an exciting one, and one both the team and I are ready for.”
In four years in GP2, Ericsson won a pair of feature races (Belgium 2012, Germany 2013), a sprint race at Valencia in 2010, and had a best finish of sixth in the championship last year.
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6