Jan 23, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The all-electric FIA Formula E Championship will have its headquarters and team facilities based out of England’s Donington Park circuit, a longtime staple of motorcycle racing and the site of Ayrton Senna’s legendary drive to victory in the 1993 Formula One European Grand Prix.
In addition, Donington will also serve as home testing and development site on F-E’s Spark-Renault SRT_01E race car for all 10 of the series’ teams, including American-based groups Andretti Autosport and Dragon Racing.
F-E CEO Alejandro Agag said in a statement that the series looked at a number of European sites for the headquarters but felt that being part of the United Kingdom’s famous “Motorsport Valley” (also home to F-E partners McLaren and Williams) was too good to pass up.
“All 10 teams will soon have top facilities at their disposal in a modern, sustainable building, as well as direct access to the circuit to develop their cars,” Agag continued. “We are also just a stone’s throw from East Midlands Airport and the hub of our logistics partner DHL, meaning will we make substantial cost and emission savings.
“It’s also great for such an innovative and global racing series to be based at a historic race track like Donington Park and we’re looking forward to welcoming the teams.”
Construction began just after the New Year and is set to be completed by the end of April, with teams slated to move in starting May 1. F-E’s commercial wing will continue to be based in London.
More than 150 people are expected to work out of F-E’s Donington facility. True to the series’ environmental emphasis, it will comply with sustainable construction and development standards.
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 0
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 0
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 13