Jan 23, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
The “Abu Double” is still on, as the BBC’s Andrew Benson reports that the controversial rule of awarding double points for the Formula One season finale – currently, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (pictured) – will remain intact for the upcoming season.
According to Benson, the matter was raised in a meeting of the sport’s leaders in Geneva, Switzerland, but no attempt was made to overturn the rule.
The subject of the 2015 cost cap was also brought up in the summit; however, per Benson’s report, while some agreements were made, the teams couldn’t hash out a figure for an upper limit of spending under the cap at that time.
In December, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had noted the possibility of double points being thrown out, even though he himself preferred that the final three races of the season be worth that much as he believed it would keep observers interested to the very end of the championship.
Ever since the double points decision was handed down by the FIA, a largely negative reaction has ensued across much of Formula One, with current drivers such as four-time defending World Champion Sebastian Vettel and past drivers such as former World Champion John Surtees and Eddie Irvine denouncing the measure.
However, there have been some figures that have supported double points, including Force India’s Sergio Perez and, naturally, FIA President Jean Todt, who recently wondered why there’s been so much focus on the rule and not as much on F1’s new technical regulations for 2014.
Video from NASCAR America
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0
- F1, IndyCar, Red Bull GRC highlight jam-packed motorsports weekend on networks of NBC 0
- Alexander Rossi to make F1 debut in Belgium, replaces Chilton 1
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 5
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 8
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 6
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12