Jan 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
UPDATE (8 p.m. ET): A post-race technical infraction has given the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge season opener at Daytona International Speedway to the No. 48 Fall-Line Motorsports BMW M3 of Shelby Blackstock and Ashley Freiberg.
The Turner Motorsports No. 96 M3, driven by Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana, had finished first after overcoming an early pit exit violation and an off-sequence pit strategy.
But just after 7:30 p.m. ET tonight, IMSA confirmed on Twitter that it had stripped the overall and Grand Sport class wins from the Auberlen/Dalla Lana duo:
No additional details have been given about the No. 96′s infraction that has cost Auberlen and Dalla Lana the victory.
As a result, all finishers move up one spot. Blackstock and Freiberg are atop the new podium, followed by a second Fall-Line M3, the No. 46 (John Edwards/Trent Hindman), in P2, and the other Turner M3, the No. 97 (Tom Kimber-Smith, Michael Marsal), in third.
Freiberg, who made her Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge debut today, has now become the first female driver to win overall in the history of Daytona International Speedway.
A third Fall-Line car, the No. 47 driven by Spencer Pumpelly and Steven Bertheau, had originally finished in third position but was also assessed a post-race penalty for failing to serve a pit stop infraction.
Murillo Racing took the ST class win in its BMW 328i, with drivers Eric Foss and polesitter Jeff Mosing in the No. 56 entry. Bimmerworld’s No. 81 car of Tyler Cooke and Gregory Liefooghe finished second with the No. 24 Autometrics Motorsports Porsche Cayman of Cory Friedman and David Baum in third.
Five cautions peppered the two-hour, 30-minute race, and it ended under yellow.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)