Jan 24, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Seven more inductees, including two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk and former Sprint Cup champion Rusty Wallace, will enter the Motorsports Hall of Fame of America in August.
Also joining the MSHF as part of its 26th class of inductees are NASCAR pioneer Marshall Teague, drag racing and NASCAR car owner Raymond Beadle (with whom Wallace won his Cup title in 1989), dirt-track motorcycle champion Ricky Graham, sponsorship icon Ole Bardahl, and American sports car racing visionary John Bishop.
The class will be officially inducted Aug. 6 at the Fillmore Theater in Detroit.
“Once again, the depth and breadth of American motorsports is reflected in the 2014 class of inductees,” MSHF president Ron Watson said in a brief statement.
Additionally, the MSHF has also announced a move from the Detroit area to Daytona International Speedway by January 2016, coinciding with the scheduled completion of the track’s ongoing “Daytona Rising” front-stretch renovation.
All MSHF displays – which include everything from race cars to 209 bronze sculptures of American motorsport legends – are planned to be housed in Daytona’s Ticket and Tours Building.
On this move, Watson said in a Daytona release: “The partnership between Daytona International Speedway and the Hall of Fame is a match made in racing heaven. The Hall gets a home within one of America’s most famous and best-loved sports venues. Race fans and tourists who come to Daytona will have another great attraction to visit throughout the year.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1