Jan 25, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
Wayne Taylor has completed his first stint in a race car in the last four years, as he stepped out of his eponymous No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP.
Taylor, a two-time former overall winner at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, was reflective and pensive – almost a bit shaken – after the GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing and Risi Competizione accident that caused a red flag.
“Memo’s (Gidley) accident put a damper on the evening for me. It puts everything into perspective,” Taylor told assembled reporters in the Daytona International Speedway press room.
“My stint was OK. I haven’t driven for four years. It was pretty tough,” he added, actually describing his stint. “I wanted to get in after (Ricky). We had a plan where Ricky would start, and if there’d be a caution in the second stint, I’d get in. But if no caution, we’d put Max (Angelelli) in and I’d go into into the evening. That would allow me to be in the nighttime. It was the safest thing to do.”
Taylor also had less than complimentary words of some of the gentlemen drivers in the race. Some classes require Silver and/or Bronze-rated drivers to complete the driver lineups.
“I’ve always believed in the 110 percent rule,” Wayne Taylor explained. “I always believed that every driver should have to qualify. The car… I don’t think the car qualifying is necessarily OK when you have paying drivers that quite honestly aren’t good enough to be on the track, I’ve always believed they bring this rule in.
“They just need to stay on line and we’d find a way around them. They change their mind and run in the middle of the track, safe with room on right and left.”
It was a sentiment SRT Viper factory driver Dominik Farnbacher echoed in the next media availability.
“Without saying any names, there are some people who don’t know where to go,” he said.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52