Jan 26, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
CONCORD, N.C. — Jimmie Johnson may be getting ready to pursue a record-tying seventh Sprint Cup championship in a couple of weeks, but honors continue to roll in for what he accomplished in 2013, namely earning his sixth Cup title in eight seasons.
Johnson received his sixth Richard Petty Driver of the Year Award Sunday night from the National Motorsports Press Association as it wrapped up its annual two-day convention in suburban Charlotte prior to Charlotte Motor Speedway preparing to host the 32nd annual NASCAR Media Tour. The four-day Tour kicks off Monday.
Johnson was unable to attend the ceremony due to another commitment, but prepared a video thanking the NMPA for the award.
Later, when the award was announced on Twitter, Johnson responded almost immediately with his own tweet, saying simply and humbly, “Such an honor.”
Former NASCAR racer Rick Mast also congratulated Johnson via the Twittersphere, writing, “Don’t say this often. Very deserving my man. Not everyone understands what RP did for this sport.”
Also honored Sunday was the late Marcy Scott, former Director of Media Relations and Marketing of Atlanta Speedway, who received the prestigious Ken Patterson Helping Others Award as well as the 2014 NMPA Spirit Award. Scott passed away recently after a lengthy battle with cancer.
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 0
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 2
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 7
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)