Jan 27, 2014, 10:34 AM EDT
Three more IndyCar Series competitors – four-time Champ Car titleholder (and new Rolex 24 champion) Sebastien Bourdais, J.R. Hildebrand, and Oriol Servia – are part of a new group of eight drivers that have joined the Formula E Drivers’ Club.
The trio now join fellow IndyCar veterans Marco Andretti and Takuma Sato in the Club, which is made up of competitors that “officially endorse” the all-electric racing series and are willing to race in it in the future.
Also part of the latest group of Club members are former Formula One drivers Narain Karthikeyan, Bruno Senna, Christijan Albers and Franck Montagny, as well as German up-and-comer Daniel Abt (whose father, Hans-Jurgen Abt, is team principal for the Audi Sport Abt team in F-E).
Bourdais is also an F1 alum, as he raced for Scuderia Toro Rosso for 27 Grand Prix races across 2008 and 2009.
“Formula E is a really exciting project and a really big innovation in motor racing,” said Bourdais, who will compete for KV Racing-SH in the upcoming IndyCar season.
“You don’t get to be a part of such technological advances very often in a career. I would be extremely happy to discover the car and begin racing next September, and I believe the best way to achieve that is to be part of the Drivers’ Club.”
Servia, who split his 2013 IndyCar season between the Panther DRR and main Panther teams, also touched upon the technological aspect of F-E in his comments.
“I have followed the Formula E developments from the very beginning with great interest,” he said. “I have loved the sport all my life and I am a firm believer that racing not only provides superb entertainment for the fans but also plays a big part in how technology will progress and improve everybody’s daily quality of living.
“Formula E will entertain and become a worldwide platform to showcase the advances in electric vehicles. I am proud to be a part of the Drivers’ Club.”
While the 10 individual teams will still have the final say on who drives for them, here’s an updated list of Drivers’ Club members that you may see on the F-E grid come this fall and into 2015:
Daniel Abt (GER)
Christijan Albers (NLD)
Marco Andretti (USA)
Sébastien Bourdais (FRA)
Sebastien Buemi (CHE)
Karun Chandhok (IND)
Lucas di Grassi (BRA)
J.R. Hildebrand (USA)
Ma Qing Hua (CHN)
Narain Karthikeyan (IND)
Vitantonio Liuzzi (ITA)
Franck Montagny (FRA)
Takuma Sato (JPN)
Bruno Senna (BRA)
Oriol Servia (ESP)
Adrien Tambay (FRA)
- The ingredients are set for Graham Rahal’s big, breakout year 0
- Talladega Nights-inspired restaurant sued by Sony Pictures 2
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 1
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)