Jan 27, 2014, 3:35 PM EDT
UPDATED (3:35 p.m. ET): Marussia has now officially confirmed through Twitter that their 2014 Formula One testing debut will indeed be delayed:
The aim is to solve the issue as quickly as possible and send the car on its way. We're all set up here in Jerez ready & waiting for it—
Marussia F1 Team (@Marussia_F1Team) January 27, 2014
Autosport first reported that Marussia would have to wait to debut their new MR03 machine during this week’s test at Jerez after an unspecified technical glitch was apparently found on the Ferrari-powered machine during “sign-off” procedures at the team’s factory in Banbury, England.
Team principal John Booth told the publication that Marussia intends to send the MR03 on to Jerez de la Frontera, Spain after the issue – which he called a “small and frustrating teething problem” – is worked out in Banbury.
Autosport noted that while it’s unclear how long it will take for the team to solve the issue, there’s enough time for the new car to hit the track this week.
Marussia was among a group of teams scheduled to officially debut their respective 2014 cars tomorrow in Jerez on the first day of the test session. That group still includes: World Champion Red Bull (RB10 w/Renault power), Mercedes (W05), Force India (VJM07 w/Mercedes power), Williams (FW36 w/Mercedes power) and Caterham (w/Renault power).
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)