Jan 27, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Scuderia Toro Rosso have unofficially kicked off Formula One’s week of testing at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain by revealing its new Renault-powered STR9 car for the 2014 season.
The event took place in the pits at Jerez, with team drivers Jean-Eric Vergne and rookie Daniil Kvyat in attendance.
STR veteran Vergne is expected to run the first laps in the new car when testing officially begins tomorrow morning. However, the car has already hit the track in a shakedown run as part of a filming day last week at Italy’s Misano circuit.
The front end of the car features an anteater-style nose, enabling the STR9 to fit in with other 2014 cars that have been unveiled so far this winter.
“The new rules have required a completely new design philosophy, starting with a clean sheet of paper,” STR team principal Franz Tost said in press materials about the new car.
“Having invested in new staff and facilities over the past few years, we have been able to tackle the task of designing and building the STR9 with a group of engineers and designers that have been working on the project since Day 1, under the leadership of [technical director] James Key. That stability has been of great benefit, while in other areas, we hope that changes we have introduced will also bring a step up in performance.”
Multiple teams, including reigning World Champions Red Bull and Mercedes, are slated to launch their own 2014 cars tomorrow in Jerez.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1
- Insight: Planning Andretti’s Sports Marketing promotional efforts at Miami and NOLA 1
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 5