Jan 27, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Scuderia Toro Rosso have unofficially kicked off Formula One’s week of testing at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain by revealing its new Renault-powered STR9 car for the 2014 season.
The event took place in the pits at Jerez, with team drivers Jean-Eric Vergne and rookie Daniil Kvyat in attendance.
STR veteran Vergne is expected to run the first laps in the new car when testing officially begins tomorrow morning. However, the car has already hit the track in a shakedown run as part of a filming day last week at Italy’s Misano circuit.
The front end of the car features an anteater-style nose, enabling the STR9 to fit in with other 2014 cars that have been unveiled so far this winter.
“The new rules have required a completely new design philosophy, starting with a clean sheet of paper,” STR team principal Franz Tost said in press materials about the new car.
“Having invested in new staff and facilities over the past few years, we have been able to tackle the task of designing and building the STR9 with a group of engineers and designers that have been working on the project since Day 1, under the leadership of [technical director] James Key. That stability has been of great benefit, while in other areas, we hope that changes we have introduced will also bring a step up in performance.”
Multiple teams, including reigning World Champions Red Bull and Mercedes, are slated to launch their own 2014 cars tomorrow in Jerez.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0