Jan 27, 2014, 12:35 PM EST
Scuderia Toro Rosso have unofficially kicked off Formula One’s week of testing at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain by revealing its new Renault-powered STR9 car for the 2014 season.
The event took place in the pits at Jerez, with team drivers Jean-Eric Vergne and rookie Daniil Kvyat in attendance.
STR veteran Vergne is expected to run the first laps in the new car when testing officially begins tomorrow morning. However, the car has already hit the track in a shakedown run as part of a filming day last week at Italy’s Misano circuit.
The front end of the car features an anteater-style nose, enabling the STR9 to fit in with other 2014 cars that have been unveiled so far this winter.
“The new rules have required a completely new design philosophy, starting with a clean sheet of paper,” STR team principal Franz Tost said in press materials about the new car.
“Having invested in new staff and facilities over the past few years, we have been able to tackle the task of designing and building the STR9 with a group of engineers and designers that have been working on the project since Day 1, under the leadership of [technical director] James Key. That stability has been of great benefit, while in other areas, we hope that changes we have introduced will also bring a step up in performance.”
Multiple teams, including reigning World Champions Red Bull and Mercedes, are slated to launch their own 2014 cars tomorrow in Jerez.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR Hall of Fame special and induction ceremony at 7 p.m. ET 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 0
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 4
- Sauber aims to beat the blues of 2014 with C34’s launch 1
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0