Jan 28, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
After becoming the first team to put out an image of its new 2014 machine last week, Force India has officially launched the Mercedes-powered VJM07 this morning in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
Today’s proceedings also marked the first time we had been able to get a good look at the front-end structure of the car, since the image released by the Vijay Mallya-led squad was a side view only – and we can safely put the VJM07 in the “anteater club” as this shot from Jerez shows:
The good news is that said “appendage” is painted in black, which makes it not as noticeable from the side:
In an interview last week with Formula One’s official website, Force India technical director Andrew Green noted that the first nose on the VJM07 would be a “launch spec” and that the team would eventually have “an updated front end of the car, which potentially is quite different.”
“We had to take quite a pragmatic view of it and say we’ve got to go testing, so we’ve got to get a car out of the door,” Green added.
Sergio Perez was scheduled to take laps in the new car today, with Nico Hulkenberg coming tomorrow and third driver Daniel Juncadella in for Thursday. Friday’s tester for Force India has yet to be revealed.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1