Jan 28, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
After becoming the first team to put out an image of its new 2014 machine last week, Force India has officially launched the Mercedes-powered VJM07 this morning in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
Today’s proceedings also marked the first time we had been able to get a good look at the front-end structure of the car, since the image released by the Vijay Mallya-led squad was a side view only – and we can safely put the VJM07 in the “anteater club” as this shot from Jerez shows:
The good news is that said “appendage” is painted in black, which makes it not as noticeable from the side:
In an interview last week with Formula One’s official website, Force India technical director Andrew Green noted that the first nose on the VJM07 would be a “launch spec” and that the team would eventually have “an updated front end of the car, which potentially is quite different.”
“We had to take quite a pragmatic view of it and say we’ve got to go testing, so we’ve got to get a car out of the door,” Green added.
Sergio Perez was scheduled to take laps in the new car today, with Nico Hulkenberg coming tomorrow and third driver Daniel Juncadella in for Thursday. Friday’s tester for Force India has yet to be revealed.
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)