Jan 28, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
After becoming the first team to put out an image of its new 2014 machine last week, Force India has officially launched the Mercedes-powered VJM07 this morning in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
Today’s proceedings also marked the first time we had been able to get a good look at the front-end structure of the car, since the image released by the Vijay Mallya-led squad was a side view only – and we can safely put the VJM07 in the “anteater club” as this shot from Jerez shows:
The good news is that said “appendage” is painted in black, which makes it not as noticeable from the side:
In an interview last week with Formula One’s official website, Force India technical director Andrew Green noted that the first nose on the VJM07 would be a “launch spec” and that the team would eventually have “an updated front end of the car, which potentially is quite different.”
“We had to take quite a pragmatic view of it and say we’ve got to go testing, so we’ve got to get a car out of the door,” Green added.
Sergio Perez was scheduled to take laps in the new car today, with Nico Hulkenberg coming tomorrow and third driver Daniel Juncadella in for Thursday. Friday’s tester for Force India has yet to be revealed.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1