Jan 28, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
Aiming to bounce back from one of its worst seasons in recent memory, McLaren didn’t get going on the right foot today in Formula One testing at Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. In fact, they didn’t get going at all.
Electrical issues plagued the team’s new MP4-29 (pictured, from last week’s launch) and ultimately caused their entire plan for the day to be scratched.
Following overnight work, they expect to have their veteran driver, former World Champion Jenson Button, in the car tomorrow for what they surely hope will be a smoother outing.
For your perusal, here’s the full statement from the team:
“Today was a challenging start to the MP4-29’s test and development program. Along with other teams, we faced difficulties readying our new car for the first winter test of 2014.
Despite firing up successfully at the [McLaren Technology Centre] last week, the car was predominantly affected by electrical issues during the day. The subsequent dismantling, inspection and re-installation of several major components ultimately meant we were unable to conduct any running today.
What’s next: We’re re-installing key systems on the car overnight, with the expectation that Jenson will begin the car’s installation program tomorrow.”
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)