Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. This weekend, Helio Castroneves on sidelines as girlfriend runs NYC Marathon

Oct 31, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

The Blacks' Annual Gala 2014 Getty Images

Adriana Henao is running to raise money for actor Sean Penn’s J/P Haitian Relief Organization and The Long Run to Haiti.

2. WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the United States GP

Oct 31, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

F1 US Grand Prix Auto Racing AP

Watch first practice from COTA live on Live Extra from 11a ET today.

3. NASCAR: Elliott Sadler jumping to Roush for 2015 XFINITY Series season

Oct 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Credit: Roush Fenway Racing Credit: Roush Fenway Racing

Former Sprint Cup veteran will bring his OneMain Financial sponsorship with him.

4. From GP3 to F1, it’s been quite a year for Daniil Kvyat

Oct 31, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia Getty Images

After just one year in F1, Kvyat will be replacing four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season. Not bad going!

5. Extreme Speed gearing up for overseas WEC debut

Oct 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports

Extreme Speed takes its HPDs to Shanghai for the FIA WEC race.

6. FIA confirms changes to qualifying format in Austin

Oct 31, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

Four cars will drop out in Q1 and Q2 to account for the absence of both Caterham and Marussia at COTA.

7. Grosjean reveals Lotus escape clause

Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

GrosjeanAUS AP

Romain Grosjean can opt out of Lotus at year’s end if he so desires.

8. Button hit with five-place grid penalty for Austin

Oct 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-RUS Getty Images

British driver forced to change his gearbox for this weekend’s race at COTA.

9. Johnny Sauter is fastest in both Truck practices at Texas

Oct 30, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT

(Sean Gardner/Getty Images for Texas Motor Speedway) Getty Images

Johnny Sauter was fastest in both NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practices Thursday afternoon at Texas Motor Speedway.

10. NASCAR America video: Top five drivers to watch in Texas

Oct 30, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT

(Todd Warshaw/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

On Thursday’s NASCAR America, Rusty Wallace gave his top five drivers to watch in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Texas. Rusty’s pick for the winner? Jeff Gordon.

11. Alonso speaks of “ambitious plan” for his racing future

Oct 30, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Spaniard says that his future is not his first priority, and that all of the events of the past few months have gone as planned.

12. NASCAR America video: Who has the best chance in Texas?

Oct 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Eric Risberg) (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Rick Allen and Rusty Wallace discussed what are Carl Edwards’ and Jeff Gordon’s chances Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway.

13. Kaltenborn “beyond the stage of frustration” over F1’s cost crisis

Oct 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-SIN-F1 Getty Images

Sauber team boss has long warned about the problems blighting Formula 1.

14. Hamilton excited by F1’s profile and growth in the USA

Oct 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton AP

British driver speaks about his appearance on NBC’s TODAY Show and his trip to New York City.

15. Hamilton questions fairness of double points

Oct 30, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, Sebastian Vettel AP

Lewis Hamilton politely questions double points.

16. 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview

Oct 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Daniel Ricciardo, Lewis Hamilton AP

As the end of the 2014 Formula 1 season draws near, the sport ventures to the United States for one of the most popular races of the year in Austin, Texas.

17. Watch NASCAR America LIVE at 5 pm ET: Texas 3-step, Harvick’s 500th, up-and-coming Quiroga, lots more

Oct 30, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Things are always bigger and better in Texas, and we live up to that with the big show we have planned for Thursday’s NASCAR America.

18. Miles explains IndyCar’s 2015 schedule changes, clashes

Oct 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

Date changes, date equity, and broadcast windows play key role in shaping 2015 IndyCar schedule.

19. What does the future hold for F1 in the United States?

Oct 30, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

F1 United State Grand Prix Auto Racing AP

F1 is booming in the United States, but could the arrival of an American team and an American driver send its popularity off the charts?

20. Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO)

Oct 30, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT

RTM Logo 101714

Ahead of the premiere of Road to Mercedes on NBCSN at 10p ET, here is one final teaser for the show that will see NBCSN’s Will Buxton and Jason Swales travel to Germany to visit the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches