Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. IndyCar: RHR earns second quarter Driver of the Year award

Jul 24, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Ryan Hunter-Reay AP

Ryan Hunter-Reay earns another award after his Indianapolis 500 win.

2. Button pleased with McLaren progress; no word on 2015

Jul 24, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Previews Getty Images

McLaren driver no closer to deciding his future, but is happy with how things are going in recent weeks.

3. PWC: Cindric, Bove to race for charity at Mid-Ohio

Jul 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

SOWF

Pirelli World Challenge President/CEO Scott Bove and 15-year-old rising star Austin Cindric to race a GTS Ford Mustang Boss for charity at Mid-Ohio weekend.

4. Sutil feeling confident about Hungary and his F1 future

Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Previews Getty Images

Sauber driver pleased with his pace in Germany, and cares little for the question marks about his future.

5. Pirelli confirms tire allocations up to Singapore

Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Previews Getty Images

Italian tire supplier confirms its selections for the Belgian, Italian and Singapore Grands Prix.

6. Report: Deal for Marcos Ambrose’ return to Australia to race V8 Supercars for Roger Penske may be close

Jul 24, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT

(Photo: Scott Halleran/Getty Images) Getty Images

While it’s seemed Marcos Ambrose was a lock to return to Richard Petty Motorsports, especially with all the positive things he’s said about wanting to stay in recent weeks and months, a report Thursday has Ambrose leaving NASCAR after this season and returning to his native Australia to race V8 Supercars — potentially for a new team owned by iconic American race team owner Roger Penske.

7. Alonso: Raikkonen having the same difficulties as me

Jul 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Canadian F1 Grand Prix Getty Images

Ferrari driver has few qualms about Kimi’s difficulties in 2014.

8. Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte to compete in Sunday’s race for Tommy Baldwin Racing

Jul 24, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT

bobby labonte Getty Images

Former Brickyard 400 winner Bobby Labonte will be returning to race at the fabled Indianapolis Motor Speedway in this Sunday’s 21st running of the Brickyard.

9. MotorSportsTalk’s Predictions: Hungarian GP

Jul 24, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Previews Getty Images

Our writing team makes its predictions for this weekend’s race at the Hungaroring.

10. Alexander Rossi joins Marussia as reserve driver

Jul 24, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

© Marussia F1 Team © Marussia F1 Team

American youngster joins Marussia as its official reserve driver with immediate effect.

11. Massa still adamant that Germany crash was not his fault

Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany - Race Getty Images

Brazilian driver compares it to incident at the beginning of the Australian Grand Prix with Kamui Kobayashi.

12. Bernie Ecclestone confirms Mexican GP for 2015

Jul 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

Formula 1 will return to the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez next year for the first time since 1992.

13. 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix Preview

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Previews Getty Images

One final chapter to the first half of the 2014 F1 season at the Hungaroring this weekend, a track that has suited Lewis Hamilton very well over the years.

14. IndyCar: Nearly the entire field set for Mid-Ohio test today

Jul 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Honda Indy 200 At Mid-Ohio - Day 3 Getty Images

Six teams, 17 cars set to test at Mid-Ohio ahead of IndyCar race there next week.

15. Bubba Wallace dominates to win MudSummer Classic at Eldora (updated)

Jul 23, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Darrell Wallace Jr. AP

Darrell “Bubba” Wallace Jr. and Kyle Larson put on a spectacular battle in the final 40-lap segment of Wednesday’s second MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, but it was Wallace holding on for the win.

16. Bubba Wallace still in the lead going into final 40-lap segment of MudSummer Classic at Eldora

Jul 23, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Butch Dill) AP

Darrell Wallace Jr. continues to lead after 110 laps (at the time of a second and final mandatory competition caution) in Wednesday night’s MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway.

17. Bubba Wallace leads after first of three segments in MudSummer Classic at Eldora

Jul 23, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT

BubbaEld1 Getty Images

At the end of the first segment of Wednesday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway, it’s Darrell Wallace Jr. in the lead.

18. All heat results from MudSummer Classic at Eldora

Jul 23, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT

mudsummer classic logo

For those of you keeping score at home, here’s the results of all five heat races and the “last chance” race prior to Wednesday night’s second annual MudSummer Classic at Eldora Speedway.

19. Kurt Busch 25th in Sprint Cup points — IndyCar, too

Jul 23, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

kurt busch indy car 2 AP

Thanks to a statistical quirk, Kurt Busch is ranked in the same place in the points standings in both the Sprint Cup Series and Verizon IndyCar Series.

20. NASCAR America: Almirola and Hornish on what makes the Brickyard 400 so important

Jul 23, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

hornish at newton win

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Aric Almirola and Sam Hornish Jr. discussed some of the biggest wins of their careers and talk about the importance of the Brickyard 400 on the NASCAR calendar.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA