Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EST

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. NHRA: Brittany Force set for 2015 to be her year in Top Fuel

Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography) Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography)

Daughter of legendary Funny Car champ John Force, Brittany Force is out to prove that 2015 will be her year in NHRA Top Fuel racing.

2. Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test

Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EST

mick schumacher jr.

Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., spent a recent testing day in a Formula 4 car, a possible prelude to following in his famous father’s footsteps.

3. Ganassi places faith in youngsters Kimball, Karam by putting them in No. 01 car

Dec 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

CGRdaytona Getty Images

Rare, intriguing call for CGR to put two lesser-experienced drivers in No. 01 car.

4. Williams recaps incredible 2014 campaign (VIDEO)

Dec 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PODIUM Getty Images

Williams’ stellar 2014 season, recapped in pictures and words.

5. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 12 – Newman, Kenseth winless but still successful

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Hollywood Casino 400 - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth proved that consistency still pays.

6. Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015

Dec 19, 2014, 1:49 PM EST

sprint cup logo

The fan-favorite Sprint Experience at NASCAR tracks across the country is apparently no longer, according to a media report.

7. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 18 Jamie McMurray

Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Getty Images

McMurray shined at the All-Star Race in May but missed out on a 2014 Chase berth.

8. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 17 Kyle Larson

Dec 19, 2014, 12:57 PM EST

(David Becker/Getty Images) Getty Images

Kyle Larson had a tremendous rookie season in 2014. If he was that good this season, imagine how much better he’ll be next season and seasons to come.

9. Felipe Nasr goes with 12 for his F1 car number

Dec 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

Felipe Nasr’s No. 12 rounds out the F1 grid number choices for 2015.

10. Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver

Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Jean-Eric Vergne signs with Ferrari as a test and development driver, which means a bunch of simulator work.

11. RC Enerson confirmed for Indy Lights with Schmidt Peterson

Dec 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

IndyLights

RC Enerson moves up from USF2000 to Indy Lights.

12. NASCAR: Kid Rock to perform pre-race show at 2015 Daytona 500

Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

2014 Louder Than Life Festival - Day 2 Getty Images

Multiplatinum artist to rock out before 2015 running of the Great American Race.

13. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series 2015 schedule released

Dec 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST

Canadian tire series logo

It lasts only four months, but there’ll be lots of action on the schedule for the 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.

14. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. to do a little pre-Christmas dirt tracking Saturday in Illinois

Dec 18, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

(Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be slinging some pre-Christmas dirt this Saturday in an all-star sprint car race in DuQuoin, Ill.

15. Kurt Busch sponsor supports him ‘110 percent’ in dispute with ex-girlfriend

Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 PM EST

(Jerry Markland/Getty Images) Getty Images

One of Kurt Busch’s sponsors has joined team owner Gene Haas in backing the driver in his ongoing dispute with ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.

16. Have a good laugh: Check out NASCAR America’s 2014 blooper reel (video)

Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 PM EST

NASCAR America

Want to have a good laugh or two? Check out all of the bloopers and behind-the-scenes fun from NASCAR America over this past year.

17. NASCAR suspends Camping World Truck Series crew member

Dec 18, 2014, 6:18 PM EST

nascar logo 2014

NASCAR announced that a Camping World Truck Series crew member has been suspended for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.

18. WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN

Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

ROA_Twitter_Promo

RoC, Mecum, and two F1 “Road To:” specials make for motors block on NBCSN tonight starting at 7 p.m. ET.

Video from NASCAR America