Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans

Aug 4, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno expands on one of IndyCar’s better weekends of late, from multiple aspects, at Mid-Ohio.

2. Honda’s IndyCar drivers attempt to fit inside the new Fit (VIDEO)

Aug 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Photo: Tony DiZinno Photo: Tony DiZinno

Watch as a double digit number of Honda IndyCar drivers attempt to fit inside the new Honda Fit.

3. IndyCar: Post-Mid-Ohio news and notes roundup

Aug 4, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT

WalkerNewsRoundup Getty Images

There was way more to the Mid-Ohio weekend than just the on-track product itself. Here’s a quick roundup.

4. Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together

Aug 4, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

IndySchedule16Hints Getty Images

With several race dates having already been announced, it’s time to play “piece it together” for the 2016 IndyCar schedule.

5. Dalziel, Alberico round out Mid-Ohio PWC, Pro Mazda winners

Aug 3, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda Photo: Pro Mazda

Quick recaps of the other two races at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course weekend from PWC and MRTI.

6. NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win

Aug 3, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT

(Photo courtesy NHRA) (Photo courtesy NHRA)

NHRA Funny Car driver “Fast Jack” Beckman may want to consider changing his nickname to “Faster Jack” because it doesn’t appear he’ll be slowing down anytime soon.

7. After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore

Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

Sunday’s win fulfilled a lifelong dream for Ohio-native Graham Rahal.

8. Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings

Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya Juan Pablo Montoya

Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.

9. Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock

Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT

150803_SageKaram Getty Images

Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.

10. Justin Wilson finishes second at Mid-Ohio, best result in two years

Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.

11. Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.

12. Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Castroneves

Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.

13. Lynn hopes GP2 win has put him in running for F1 seat

Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Series © GP2 Series

Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?

14. Dennis frustrated by lack of in-season testing in F1

Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

MONTREAL, QC - JUNE 06:  Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of McLaren Group Ron Dennis is seen during qualifying for the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 6, 2015 in Montreal, Canada.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images) Getty Images

McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.

15. WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra

Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Ryan Hunter-Reay AP

Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.

16. WRC: Latvala claims record-breaking win at Rally Finland

Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Finnish Volkswagen Polo R WRC driver Jari-Matti Latvala and co-pilot Miikka Anttila drive during the Ouninpohja special stage of the  2015 FIA World Rally Championship WRC Rally Finland in Jyvaeskylae, Finland on July 31, 2015.  AFP PHOTO / LEHTIKUVA / Vesa Moilanen +++ FINLAND OUT        (Photo credit should read VESA MOILANEN/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.

17. What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra)

Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio - Day 3 Getty Images

What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

18. Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out

Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.

19. Reports: Monza closing in on new F1 contract

Aug 2, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT

MONZA, ITALY - SEPTEMBER 07:  Fan leave the circuit following the F1 Grand Prix of Italy at Autodromo di Monza on September 7, 2014 in Monza, Italy.  (Photo by Bryn Lennon/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Italian Grand Prix looks set to remain at Monza beyond 2016 thanks to a tax-free investment from the Italian government.