Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EST

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO)

Nov 24, 2014, 6:26 PM EST

Pocono 400 Getty Images

The future NASCAR on NBC analyst talks about how Rick Hendrick and his partnerships with Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt Jr. have impacted his life.

2. NASCAR: Austin Dillon to run “majority” of 2015 XFINITY Series season

Nov 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EST

AAA Texas 500 - Practice Getty Images

Dillon will run the No. 33 Chevrolet in the XFINITY Series in addition to continuing his full-time duties in Sprint Cup.

3. Mark Webber’s 1st WEC season to end in a very familiar place

Nov 24, 2014, 4:49 PM EST

AUTO-FRA-MOTOR-RACING-ENDURANCE Getty Images

The former F1 racer won two Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos, but he’s about to see the legendary track in a whole new light.

4. NASCAR: “Fresh From Florida” group re-ups with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EST

Credit: Richard Petty Motorsports Credit: Richard Petty Motorsports

Next season, the campaign will serve as primary sponsor for Aric Almirola’s No. 43 at Atlanta in March and Darlington in May.

5. Sebastien Loeb will make rally return this January in Monte Carlo

Nov 24, 2014, 2:33 PM EST

AUTO-WTCC-MOROCCO Getty Images

The nine-time World Rally Champion is now a full-time touring car racer, but will help kick off the 2015 WRC campaign for Citroen.

6. RHR Borg-Warner set for December 3 unveil

Nov 24, 2014, 2:00 PM EST

Photo courtesy Steve Shunck Photo courtesy Steve Shunck

Hunter-Reay’s face on the Borg-Warner Trophy set for December 3 reveal.

7. #ThingsOdellCouldCatch: Sebastien Bourdais’ 2013 IndyCar trophy at Toronto (PHOTO/VIDEO)

Nov 24, 2014, 1:15 PM EST

IndyCar Toronto Auto Racing AP

IndyCar gets in on the Odell Beckham Jr. meme game, and it’s a good one.

8. Two racing tie-ins occurred at last night’s AMAs

Nov 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

Sage500 Getty Images

Patrick Dempsey presenting and Brantley Gilbert winning makes for two racing tie-ins in a music show.

9. Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain

Nov 24, 2014, 12:15 PM EST

Lewis Hamilton AP

Hammer Time in Abu Dhabi; Bird was the word for Formula E in Malaysia; a look at the NASCAR beat…

10. Abu Dhabi test lineups set for Tuesday, Wednesday

Nov 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EST

ADtestlineup AP

Lineups set for this week’s Abu Dhabi test.

11. NASCAR: Amy, Brian France help support various charitable causes

Nov 24, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

bzf-459427566-2

Frances busy with charitable efforts during and after the NASCAR season.

12. Danica Patrick confirmed for another GoDaddy Super Bowl ad, which should feature a surprise guest

Nov 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EST

Danica Patrick AP

Danica Patrick will be in another GoDaddy ad, with an intriguing guest star.

13. F1’s fears are allayed as double points has no say in title fight

Nov 24, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Felipe Massa and Sergio Perez the only drivers to benefit from double points in Abu Dhabi.

14. Caterham’s return in Abu Dhabi fails to produce a big result

Nov 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Qualifying Getty Images

However, simply getting to the race must go down as an achievement for the backmarkers.

15. Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal

Nov 24, 2014, 8:13 AM EST

Arrivabene AP

Mattiacci out, Arrivabene in as Ferrari team principal.

16. Marussia remains ninth in constructors as Sauber fails to score in Abu Dhabi

Nov 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PRACTICE Getty Images

Gutierrez finishes as the lead Sauber in a lowly 15th place on Sunday.

17. (Updated) Remembering iconic motorsports PR great Denny Darnell

Nov 23, 2014, 6:10 PM EST

Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski. Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski.

The world of motorsports — particularly NASCAR and NHRA — is mourning arguably the best public relations person it has ever seen, Denny Darnell, who passed away Saturday.

18. Post-race fights in NASCAR Chase joked about during Eagles-Titans skirmish

Nov 23, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

Brad Keselowsk AP

The Charlotte and Texas brawls from this year’s Chase are still resonating weeks after they occurred.

Video from NASCAR America

Most unexpected event of 2014?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches