Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice

Apr 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

German driver not yet happy with his own performance in China, but his long run pace suggests that a podium finish may be within his reach.

2. Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice

Apr 18, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Rookie errors from Lotus driver no big deal, apparently.

3. Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season

Apr 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Marco Mattiacci AP

Mattiacci thought that job offer was a late April Fools joke at first; says that necessary changes will take place.

4. Alonso keen on dry qualifying in China

Apr 18, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Fernando Alonso AP

Spanish driver puts in an impressive display during practice, but warns that rain could scupper Ferrari’s chances of reaching the podium.

5. New regulations crucial in Honda’s decision to return to F1

Apr 18, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT

Yasuhisa Arai, Senior Managing Officer and Director, Chief Officer of Motorsports, Honda R&D Co. poses at the Honda Motor Co's headquarters in Tokyo Reuters

Yasuhia Arai reveals some more information about Honda’s decision to return to F1 and the Japanese marque’s plans for the future.

6. Difficult day in Hamilton’s eyes despite finishing fastest

Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Hamilton keen on the team correcting handling issues before qualifying tomorrow.

7. Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg

Apr 18, 2014, 3:32 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

Mercedes returns to the top of the timesheets, but Ferrari and Alonso are in close company.

8. WATCH LIVE: Alonso looks to double up in Shanghai

Apr 18, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT

Fernando Alonso AP

Can Mercedes fight back and resume normal service?

9. Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP

Apr 17, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT

Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso of Spain arrives for a news conference ahead of the Chinese F1 Grand Prix at the Shanghai International Circuit Reuters

Spanish driver ends Mercedes streak of first place finishes, but teammate Kimi Raikkonen fails to post a time.

10. NASCAR AMERICA: Can Gene Haas succeed with an American-based F1 team?

Apr 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

NASCAR America

NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the expectations for Gene Haas as he looks to start a F1 team. The pair question whether an F1 team can be run successfully out of the United States.

11. NASCAR AMERICA: Kyle Petty — Some of this year’s top rookies mark changing of the guard in NASCAR

Apr 17, 2014, 6:51 PM EDT

nascar america

NBCSN’s Rick Allen and Kyle Petty discuss the emergence of some of this year’s top rookies on Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America. Petty says it is time for a changing of the guard, as many of today’s most successful drivers are nearing the end of their careers.

12. Alabama Gang rides again with Justin Allison at Talladega

Apr 17, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT

The original Alabama Gang. Justin Allison is now the latest member of the gang, turning his first laps at legendary Talladega Superspeedway during an ARCA test there Tuesday and Wednesday. (Photo courtesy JustinAllisonRacing.com) The original Alabama Gang. Justin Allison is now the latest member of the gang, turning his first laps at legendary Talladega Superspeedway during an ARCA test there Tuesday and Wednesday. (Photo courtesy JustinAllisonRacing.com)

The latest generation of NASCAR’s fabled Alabama Gang rode again in its debut Tuesday and Wednesday at Talladega Superspeedway. Justin Allison, grandson of Donnie Allison and grandnephew of NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison, both original members of the Alabama Gang, took part in a two-day test of ARCA drivers at NASCAR’s largest oval track.

13. Ford Racing has some fun to celebrate Mustang’s 50th anniversary (video)

Apr 17, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT

(Photo and video courtesy of Ford Racing) (Photo and video courtesy of Ford Racing)

Whether you like it or not, you can’t say the Ford Mustang doesn’t have staying power. Celebrating its 50th anniversary this month, the Mustang has become one of the premier muscle car brands ever made by Detroit.

14. NASCAR has shown outstanding parity through first eight races of 2014

Apr 17, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT

Kevin Harvick is the only two-time winner thus far in the first eight races of the 2014 Sprint Cup season. AP

NASCAR chairman Brian France’s unwavering stance to bring parity to the sport during his 10-year tenure is finally paying dividends.

15. VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass

Apr 17, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

Alonso

News and notes from the ground in China from NBCSN’s Will Buxton.

16. BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question

Apr 17, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT

Swan Getty Images

Just eight races into the Sprint Cup season, the future of the two-car Swan Racing team is looking rather murky, with the potential of everything from reorganization to scaling back involvement, if not outright shutting down.

17. MotorSportsTalk’s predictions: Chinese GP

Apr 17, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Previews Getty Images

F1 heads to China with change in the wind, only making the predictions harder for our experts.

18. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET — Gene Haas, Kyle Larson, Scan All 43

Apr 17, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT

140417-NASCAR-AMERICA

Thursday on NASCAR AMERICA, the team will cover a lot of ground, including talking with NASCAR team owner Gene Haas about his foray into Formula One. Rick Allen and Kyle Petty man the anchor desk from our Charlotte studio. Remember to tune in at at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN and NBC Sports Live Extra for your online or mobile device.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA