Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EST

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Famed NHRA team owner Don Schumacher undergoes cancer surgery

Nov 27, 2014, 8:46 PM EST

Don Schumacher and daughter Megan. (Photo courtesy ShoeRacing.com) Don Schumacher and daughter Megan. (Photo courtesy ShoeRacing.com)

NHRA team owner Don Schumacher underwent surgery Wednesday for early-stage skin cancer.

2. Is the world ready for another Rowdy Busch? Kyle, Samantha hint a baby boy is on the way

Nov 27, 2014, 8:04 PM EST

(Chris Graythen/Getty Images) Getty Images

NASCAR star Kyle Busch and wife Samantha dropped a very big hint that their first child may be a boy.

3. IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged

Nov 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST

(Photo: Allen Berezovsky/WireImage) (Photo: Allen Berezovsky/WireImage)

IndyCar driver Graham Rahal and NHRA driver Courtney Force announced their engagement Thursday in Venice, Italy.

4. Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega

Nov 27, 2014, 5:57 PM EST

Theresa Benn (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department) Theresa Benn (Photo courtesy Lincoln, Ala. Police Department)

Police continue to investigate the cause of death of Theresa Benn, who had been missing more than a month before her body was found last week near Talladega Superspeedway.

5. MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy

Nov 27, 2014, 3:23 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Anthony Marlowe/Twitter) (Photo courtesy Anthony Marlowe/Twitter)

BK Racing minority owner Anthony Marlowe offers a public apology to MotorSportsTalk on his inadvertent tweet of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 car for 2015.

6. Give thanks: NASCAR announcer Steve Byrnes shows ‘progress’ in cancer battle

Nov 27, 2014, 2:16 PM EST

Steve Byrnes Steve Byrnes

Steve Byrnes of Fox Sports gave friends and family a promising Thanksgiving update about his battle with Stage 4 head-and-neck cancer.

7. Hulkenberg confirmed for Porsche LMP1 at Spa and Le Mans

Nov 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Hulkenberg gets an LMP1 opportunity with Porsche at Spa and Le Mans next season.

8. What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014

Nov 27, 2014, 9:00 AM EST

Irwin Tools Night Race Getty Images

What we’re thankful across the wide spectrum of motorsports in 2014.

9. Spend Black Friday doing a few laps on Charlotte Motor Speedway

Nov 26, 2014, 11:01 PM EST

(AP Photo/Terry Renna) AP

If you’re in the Charlotte area and want to have a great Black Friday experience, head on over to Charlotte Motor Speedway, where for a donation, you can drive on the actual racetrack.

10. Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports

Nov 26, 2014, 8:56 PM EST

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall) AP

Sam Hornish Jr. has a lot to give thanks for this Thanksgiving, most notably a new ride and a new lease on his Sprint Cup driving life with Richard Petty Motorsports.

11. NBCSN presents 14-hour ‘MECUM MARATHON’ on Thanksgiving Day

Nov 26, 2014, 4:40 PM EST

mecum dealmakers

NBCSN will present a 14-hour ‘Mecum Marathon’ starting Thursday, Thanksgiving Day.

12. Simon Pagenaud’s Ayrton Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned off

Nov 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

98th Indianapolis 500 Mile Race Getty Images

Simon Pagenaud’s Indy 500 Senna tribute helmet to be auctioned for Ayrton Senna Foundation.

13. Report of Cole Whitt in for David Ragan at Front Row Motorsports ‘not true’

Nov 26, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

David Ragan (Todd Warshaw/Getty Images) Getty Images

Front Row Motorsports officials on Wednesday denied rumors of Cole Whitt replacing David Ragan in the No. 34 Ford for 2015.

14. F1 notes and quotes: Abu Dhabi Test Day 2

Nov 26, 2014, 1:00 PM EST

ADwrap Getty Images

A rundown through the field after the final day of on-track running for F1 2014.

15. Several NASCAR AMERICA specials to run over next month

Nov 26, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

nascar america

Some NASCAR AMERICA specials are on tap before the end of the year.

16. “Dream come true” for Italian Raffaele Marciello in Ferrari test

Nov 26, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

MarcielloAD1 Getty Images

Marciello gracious for opportunity, and was thinking of Jules Bianchi throughout the day.

17. A.J. Foyt still hospitalized but recovering after triple bypass

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EST

Foyt112614 AP

A.J. Foyt with post-operative complication, but resolved.

18. Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014

Nov 26, 2014, 11:13 AM EST

WehrleinAD1 Getty Images

New Mercedes driver, same place on the charts to close out 2014 F1 season.

19. Life after Red Bull now beckons for JEV, where a new world awaits

Nov 26, 2014, 10:31 AM EST

Vergne 17-11 AP

What’s next for Jean-Eric Vergne? An analysis of his time in F1, and where to from here.

Video from NASCAR America