Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EST

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. NHRA: Alan Johnson Racing moves forward without Al-Anabi

Jan 31, 2015, 5:13 PM EST

Alan Johnson (Photo courtesy AlanJohnsonRacing.com) Alan Johnson (Photo courtesy AlanJohnsonRacing.com)

With Al-Anabi Racing now defunct, team owner Alan Johnson has picked up the remnants and intends on racing one Top Fuel dragster, with 2013 champ Shawn Langdon behind the wheel, in at least the first two races of the 2015 season.

2. Jeff Gordon: Chase Elliott is ‘right guy’ to keep driving No. 24

Jan 31, 2015, 4:01 PM EST

jeff gordon no. 24 Getty Getty Images

Jeff Gordon wanted to see his successor continue on the legacy of the No. 24 car. Chase Elliott is happy to continue that tradition.

3. Gutierrez enjoying life with Ferrari in third driver role

Jan 31, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

Ferrari Car Launch Getty Images

Mexican driver is excited for the return of his home grand prix in November, even if he won’t be racing.

4. Indy Lights notes: Juncos leads oval test, Chilton digs ovals, Piedrahita confirmed

Jan 31, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

Photo: Indy Lights Photo: Indy Lights

News and notes after Indy Lights wraps up its week of testing in Homestead.

5. Richard Childress Racing settles lawsuit with Matt McCall, Jamie McMurray’s new crew chief

Jan 31, 2015, 3:21 PM EST

Matt McCall (Image courtesy racing.quickenloans.com) Matt McCall (Image courtesy racing.quickenloans.com)

Richard Childress Racing and Matt McCall have reached settlement on a lawsuit that sought to keep McCall from becoming Jamie McMurray’s crew chief for the 2015 season.

6. Perez “extremely motivated” for new F1 season

Jan 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Mexican Driver Sergio Perez Visits Hermanos Rodriguez Circuit Getty Images

Mexican driver feels that Force India’s hunger can take the team up the grid this year.

7. NASCAR: Kenseth’s DeWalt sponsorship schedule revealed

Jan 31, 2015, 2:30 PM EST

Sprint All-Star Race Qualifying Getty Images

Kenseth and DeWalt are back together, and the six-race sponsorship dates are revealed.

8. Report: No get-out clause in Fernando Alonso’s McLaren contract

Jan 31, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

McLaren-Honda Announces New Driver Line-Up For 2015 Getty Images

Ron Dennis makes clear that Alonso is locked into his new contract with the British team.

9. In interview, Franchitti reflects on life without driving, a full year later

Jan 31, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Dario Franchitti (right) has embarked on a new career path as a consultant for Target Chip Ganassi, with particular emphasis helping his hand-picked replacement and defending Indy 500 winner Tony Kanaan. (Photo: Robert Laberge/Getty Images) Getty Images

Herald Scotland checks in with Dario Franchitti on his new life outside the cockpit.

10. Rosberg and Hamilton ready for the rematch in 2015 (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Germany F1 Stars and Cars AP

Prepare for round two with Hamilton and Rosberg as they set their goals for the season ahead.

11. Preparation key for all-rookie Toro Rosso line-up in 2015

Jan 31, 2015, 12:30 PM EST

© Toro Rosso © Toro Rosso

With a combined age of 37, Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr. forge the youngest line-up in F1 history in 2015.

12. NASCAR AMERICA: Drivers predict Super Bowl XLIX winner (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

superbowl_nbc

Patriots or Seahawks? NASCAR’s top drivers make their picks for Sunday’s Big Game.

13. Watch how Ferrari’s new F1 challenger gets stickered up (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 11:30 AM EST

Ferrari Car Launch Getty Images

Watch a time lapse video of how the Ferrari SF15-T gets stickered up in advance of the 2015 season.

14. Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test

Jan 31, 2015, 11:21 AM EST

© Toro Rosso © Toro Rosso

Max Verstappen and Carlos Sainz Jr. lift the covers from the team’s 2015 car, marking its tenth year in F1.

15. NASCAR: Xfinity driver Daniel Suarez, ex-NFL WR Willie Gault win Gridiron Challenge (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

NASCARGridiron

Highlights from the special event featuring NASCAR drivers and former NFL stars.

16. Kvyat raring to go ahead of pre-season testing (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Kvyat 311 Getty Images

He may have risen rapidly up to a seat at Red Bull, but Daniil Kvyat is not feeling under pressure.

17. Complete line-up for the Jerez F1 pre-season test

Jan 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Testing in Jerez - Day Four Getty Images

All of the information you need for the first official F1 test of the year.

18. Hamilton: Plenty of room for improvement at Mercedes

Jan 31, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi - Practice Getty Images

Despite the team enjoying a record-breaking year in 2014, Hamilton is confident that Mercedes can extend its advantage in the new season.

19. Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO)

Jan 31, 2015, 12:23 AM EST

Credit: ISC Archives Credit: ISC Archives

Wendell Scott’s induction to the NASCAR Hall of Fame completed a long journey for his family.