Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Massa, Perez, Gutierrez confirmed for COTA fan forum

Oct 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

MasPerSochi Getty Images

Sergio Perez, Felipe Massa and Esteban Gutierrez signed up for COTA fan forum.

2. Keselowski: ‘I’m not (Dale Earnhardt Sr.) … I’m just trying to do things my own way’

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

Brad Keselowski is flattered people might compare him with the late Dale Earnhardt, but he’ll be the first to say he’s not the new Intimidator in NASCAR.

3. Greatest collection of Indy 500 pace cars to be displayed soon

Oct 22, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway) (Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway)

Perhaps the greatest collection of original Indianapolis 500 pace cars will soon be on display at an upcoming car show in suburban Chicago.

4. IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe being toasted for fast-selling beer

Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com) (Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com)

For most Canadians, their homebrewed beer choice is typically Labatts or Molson. But countryman and IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe is starting to get some traction with his own beer brand, Hinchtown Hammer Down (HHD).

5. NASCAR America: Take a spin around Martinsville Speedway

Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

NASCAR America

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Parker Kligerman took a spin around Martinsville Speedway in the NBC race simulator to show why the paper-clip shaped track can be extremely difficult.

6. NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief

Oct 22, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing) Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing)

In a stunning move that could potentially threaten his bid for a record-extending 17th NHRA Funny Car championship, John Force announced Wednesday that veteran crew chief Jimmy Prock has resigned, effective immediately.

7. Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

KurtDanica Getty Images

Crew chiefs, road crews for Nos. 10 and 41 Stewart-Haas Racing cars will swap starting at Texas.

8. Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

More murky messaging from Leafield as Caterham’s future hangs in the balance.

9. Drag racer Ron Capps doesn’t let hurricane stop Hawaii appearance

Oct 22, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA, Teresa Long) AP

When you drive a car that produces nearly 10,000 horsepower and reaches speeds approaching 330 mph, a hurricane with wind speeds over 100 mph is nothing. That was the case Sunday for NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps.

10. Ken Block, Matthew Wilson to return to WRC in Spain this weekend

Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

FIA World Rally Championship Mexico - Day Two Getty Images

Ken Block, Matthew Wilson make WRC returns for this weekend’s Rally Spain.

11. UPDATED: Will NHRA Funny Car legend John Force reveal new sponsor and manufacturer today?

Oct 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA) AP

Sixteen-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force is expected to make a major announcement concerning John Force Racing later Tuesday afternoon.

12. NASCAR: Kurt Busch’s new 2015 paint scheme unveiled

Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Kurt Busch’s 2015 paint scheme adds more red.

13. Lotus begins deal with jewelry company called Endless

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Lotus will have a new sponsor for Austin that’s beginning, but called Endless.

14. Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO)

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

DaleJrDega AP

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be featured for UPMC campaign that seeks to change the conversation about concussions.

15. Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end

Oct 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

Sam-Michael-McL Getty Images

Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end, the team confirms.

16. Here to stay: Keselowski vows that he won’t be run out of the sport

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

The championship contender talks about his reputation during a Monday night appearance at Texas Motor Speedway.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Pressure mounts with four races to go in Chase (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

(Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) Getty Images

As NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty explains, the new Chase format has created something that NASCAR hasn’t seen before.

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

A ninth Martinsville win on Sunday would put Gordon into the Championship Race at Homestead. Check out his interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Jason Weigandt about his success at M’Ville and more.

Video from NASCAR America

Why Martinsville is one tricky track
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches