Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Ryan Blaney, “Bubba” Wallace top Truck Series practices at Martinsville

Oct 24, 2014, 5:19 PM EDT

Kroger 200 - Practice Getty Images

Both Blaney and Wallace are within 30 points of championship leader Matt Crafton going into tomorrow’s Camping World Truck Series race at Martinsville.

2. Denny Hamlin raring to go for Chase’s Eliminator Round

Oct 24, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 - Practice Getty Images

A fifth win at Martinsville would put Hamlin into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead.

3. Danica Patrick says she’s “open-minded” about crew chief swap

Oct 24, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT

Kurt Busch, Jeff Gordon AP

Danica, who will swap CCs with teammate Kurt Busch starting next week at Texas, says she’s looking forward to working with the engineering-based Daniel Knost.

4. PWC officially confirms GT/GTS split races

Oct 24, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Photo: Pirelli World Challenge Photo: Pirelli World Challenge

GT/GTS races confirmed for split in 2015 by the Pirelli World Challenge series.

5. Jeff Gordon fastest in first Martinsville Sprint Cup practice

Oct 24, 2014, 1:40 PM EDT

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 - Practice Getty Images

Gordon leads group of four Chasers in Top 5 speeds; all 8 remaining Chasers within Top 15.

6. Lotus to evaluate new nose design in Austin

Oct 24, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Italy Getty Images

Formula 1’s new technical regulations prompted Lotus to use a twin-tusk nose for 2014, but this could be scrapped for next season.

7. Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil

Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT

Caterham Getty Images

Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.

8. Lotus close to confirming Romain Grosjean for 2015

Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.

9. Matt Kenseth looking for “career highlight” win this weekend at Martinsville

Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.

10. Emerson Fittipaldi to be in attendance at Austin for fan event

Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

2013 Laureus World Sports Awards Nominations Getty Images

Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.

11. Ricciardo: United States GP my favorite race of the season

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.

12. The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends

Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT

Photos courtesy Steve Shunck Photos courtesy Steve Shunck

Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.

13. Schumacher’s doctor notes progress, but calls for patience

Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

File photo of Schumacher looking on during the qualifying session for the Italian F1 Grand Prix race at the Monza racetrack in Monza Reuters

Dr. Jean-Francois Payen says that he has noticed some progress in Schumacher’s recovery.

14. Esteban Ocon enjoys ‘exceptional’ F1 test for Lotus

Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

© Lotus F1 Team © Lotus F1 Team

Sauber also complete a test in Spain with Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany.

15. Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’

Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Spanish Formula One Grand Prix: Qualifying Getty Images

Just like Arrows and Super Aguri before it, Caterham is on its last legs. However, it is going out in far less dignified fashion.

16. Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team

Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-F1-BELGIUM-SPA-PRACTICE Getty Images

Finnbarr O’Connell is now in charge at Leafield as the team prepares for a race against time to make the United States GP in Austin next weekend.

17. Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday

Oct 23, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT

(Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Image courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

This is a column that should never have been written, about an event that never should have happened.

18. Kentucky native Jack Roush to be inducted into state’s Motorsports Hall of Fame

Oct 23, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT

(Doug Pensinger/Getty Images) Getty Images

Legendary motorsports team owner and innovator — and Kentucky native — Jack Roush will be inducted this Saturday into the Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame. Roush was born in Covington, Ky.

19. NASCAR America: Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash

Oct 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT

(Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports) (Courtesy Hendrick Motorsports)

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kyle Petty joined Dave Briggs to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash and how the team recovered from it.

Video from NASCAR America