Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. Carlin, Jones welcomed to America in their first weekend in Indy Lights

Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

Photo: Carlin Photo: Carlin

A double pole, double win debut weekend for Trevor Carlin’s team was a statement – but the team’s big takeaway was how different the U.S. environment is.

2. Dixon on St. Pete: “The car was better than what I got out of it”

Apr 1, 2015, 1:15 PM EDT

DixonStP AP

A challenging weekend for Scott Dixon occurs from qualifying through the race in St. Petersburg.

3. Pierre Gasly to test for Toro Rosso at Barcelona

Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

®GP2 Series Media Service ®GP2 Series Media Service

Pierre Gasly to test STR10 after Spanish Grand Prix weekend in May.

4. DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs

Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

STPcolumn AP

While St. Petersburg had its positives as a weekend, Tony DiZinno reflects on two disconcerting themes that emerged from the race itself.

5. American Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the GP2 season (VIDEO)

Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Practice Getty Images

Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the upcoming GP2 season.

6. Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT

Sergio Perez, Nico Hulkenberg AP

Off the Grid Mexico kicks off with episode one of a six-part digital series.

7. Mardenborough, two spectators released from hospital after Nurburgring accident

Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT

Photo: NISMO Photo: NISMO

Jann Mardenborough and two spectators were released after this weekend’s VLN crash at the Nurburgring.

8. Patron ESM heads to Paul Ricard (VIDEO)

Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT

Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports

ESM recaps its test from the Prologue at Paul Ricard.

9. IMS releases statement in wake of Indiana RFRA legislation

Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT

IMS Pagoda Getty Images

IMS statement comes out after Indiana’s recent religious freedom legislation.

10. IndyCar notes: Rahal’s questionable penalty, one-off drivers, rookies have tough days

Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT

KimballRahal AP

Catching up on the rest of the action from St. Petersburg, with a run through the moments of contact that triggered avoidable contact penalties.

11. The Rolling Stones to hit IMS on July 4

Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT

StonesIMS

Rolling Stones to play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

12. Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race

Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT

StpDebris AP

Loose debris hit by a car, then goes over wall and hits a fan outside Turn 10 at St. Petersburg.

13. Hawksworth, Filippi score solid top-10s to open season at St. Petersburg

Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT

HawkStp15 AP

Hawksworth, Filippi impress on opening outings with their new teams in St. Petersburg.

14. Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits

Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

JPMSTPwin AP

IndyCar’s “old guard” reigned in St. Petersburg, as the new manufacturer aero kits debuted.

15. Moto GP: Rossi wins opening-round thriller in Qatar

Mar 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

MotoGP Qatar Getty Images

Victory number 70 of the Italian’s remarkable Moto GP career.

16. Ecclestone considering creation of all-female grand prix series

Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Practice Getty Images

However, Williams test driver Susie Wolff believes that women should be reaching F1 in a more organic way.

17. IndyCar: Bourdais opens strong for KVSH; Coletti impresses despite late stop for KV

Mar 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

SebStp AP

KVSH’s Bourdais gets result after a consistent drive; KV’s Coletti stars but fades after late race splash-and-dash for fuel.