Hard to believe: Dale Earnhardt Jr. turns 40 this year — wants to send Steve Letarte out as a winner

Jan 29, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

Coke Zero 400 - Practice Getty Images

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – For many, the image of Dale Earnhardt Jr. has been frozen in time since the late 1990s or perhaps his first full season on the Sprint Cup circuit in 2000: that of a young red-haired, cherub-faced kid just excited about life and living the dream of being a NASCAR driver.

But Earnhardt revealed some rather sober and potentially earth-shattering news Tuesday that potentially may shock many members of his legendary Junior Nation of fans:

NASCAR’s Most Popular Driver the last 11 years running is going to turn 40 this year!

October 10, to be precise.

“I think I turned 40 before I was supposed to,” Earnhardt laughed during the second day of the four-day NASCAR Media Tour. “I don’t feel 40, I don’t even feel close to 40. It’s weird for me to say that and I think about it all the time that I’m going to be 40 years old this year, because I don’t feel anything near 40.

“I don’t think I think like a 40 year old man, I still have a lot of immaturity in me and like to have fun and goof off. And I feel in my racing and work ethic and the way I approach what I’m doing and how long I’ve been here, I don’t feel 40.

“I don’t feel burned out, don’t feel worn out, don’t feel like this is old hat, don’t feel bored. I feel like I’m just as excited about Daytona as I’ve ever been each year that I’ve went there. I guess when it gets boring or it’s not as exciting, I’ll start to freak out. Yeah, I don’t feel 40, that’s weird. But maybe that means I’ll last a little bit younger than most guys.”

And if Junior has his way once he hits 40, he plans on racing for another decade, something his loyal fans will likely be happy to hear.

That means there’s still plenty of chances for that elusive first Sprint Cup championship – if not 10 titles in a row potentially (hey, you can’t blame him for being optimistic, right?).

“Ten’s a lot of years and that would be enough,” Earnhardt said. “I think if I retired at 50, I’d be real thrilled that I made it that long.”

While Earnhardt stressed that his main goal in 2014 is to win races – he hasn’t won a Cup race since 2012 and only two since 2006 – winning a championship would be a fitting sendoff and homage to Letarte, who will become a TV analyst for NBC Sports in 2015.

It’s important to send Letarte out on top, Earnhardt said.

“It’s important to me, but hell, it’s part of his responsibility, too,” Earnhardt said with a laugh.

But then, Earnhardt turned more serious on his feeling about Letarte.

“I’m going into the last season with Steve, who I love to work with, and I really want to enjoy that moment, that is, the whole season,” Earnhardt said. “Me and Steve are so close and this is going to be a lot of fun to work with him one more season. I want to make sure it’s one we enjoy and he can be happy when he’s finished and then we can move on and continue to compete.”

And that final farewell season to one of the best crew chiefs he’s had in his career starts in a few weeks, Earnhardt said.

“When we run Daytona, we’re going to run it for the last time, his last Daytona 500 as a crew chief,” Earnhardt said. “We’re going to be working every single lap to try to do the best we can for each other. And I think that’s good, it can elevate our performance and our team.

“I think the team could feed off that and we may be able to accomplish the things we set out to accomplish in this last season together.”

How has Earnhardt changed from a 23-year-old Busch Series driver in 1998 to a 40-year-old, 15-year Cup veteran in 2014? Hardly at all, Earnhardt said.

“I don’t think my personality is anything special or unique in any way, but I think I’m a good guy that tries to make good decisions and tries to treat people right.,” he said. “All the things, the success, star power, celebrity has been just short of a fluke, like an oddity that could have happened to anybody.

“The work ethic is however you want to be at your job, and if you enjoy what you do and want to be successful at it, you’ll work hard to try and do that. I know myself, I’ve learned a lot about work ethic over the last 20 years.

“You get into racing thinking you’re working your guts out, and then you learn there/s another step, and then you learn that there’s another step and you just keep finding more in yourself over a long period of time and look back at all those things you wish you’d known when you were a kid. It could have made things easier.”

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR: Nationwide Series crewman suspended for violating substance abuse policy

Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

nationwideserieslogo

Also: Crew chief in same series fined, put on probation for car weight issue from last weekend at Dover.

2. F1: 3rd-place battle between Williams and Ferrari heads for Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Valtteri Bottas, Kimi Raikkonen AP

Williams’ gap on Ferrari for third in the Constructors’ Championship is down to nine points going into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

3. WATCH LIVE: Dale Earnhardt Jr. talks Contender Round on NASCAR AMERICA

Sep 30, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

Also coming up today: A closer look at the Contender Round tracks and who’s been successful at them; Joe Gibbs Racing focusing on continued momentum at Kansas; more radio goodness with the Dover Chase edition of “Scan All 43.”

4. IndyCar Driver Review: Mikhail Aleshin

Sep 30, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Sixteenth in the 2014 IndyCar season was rookie Mikhail Aleshin, ever the fighter.

5. Formula E CEO Agag hopeful for several motor/battery manufacturers in 2015-16

Sep 30, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

Photo courtesy FIA Formula E Photo courtesy FIA Formula E

Agag hopes for “three or four different makers of motors and batteries” during F-E’s second season.

6. IndyCar Driver Review: Justin Wilson

Sep 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

JWilFinal2014 Getty Images

P15 caps a difficult IndyCar season for Justin Wilson and Dale Coyne Racing.

7. NASCAR: Corey Lajoie set for four-race run in No. 98 Nationwide Series car

Sep 30, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT

Sylvania 300 - Qualifying Getty Images

The son of two-time Nationwide Series champion Randy Lajoie will race the upcoming NNS events at Kansas, Charlotte, Texas, and Homestead.

8. IndyCar Driver Review: Charlie Kimball

Sep 30, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Shell Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston - Day 3 Getty Images

Charlie Kimball fights through an OK, but often challenging, 2014 season en route to P14 into the IndyCar standings.

9. NASCAR: Roster set for October’s Drive for Diversity combine

Sep 30, 2014, 1:55 PM EDT

nascar logo 2014 Getty Images

20 multicultural and female drivers from across the U.S., Canada, Mexico, and South America will seek to earn a spot in the D4D’s Class of 2015.

10. IndyCar: James Hinchcliffe presides over Charlie Kimball’s wedding

Sep 30, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Hinchcliffe Getty Images

“The Mayor” has now apparently become The Minister.

11. IndyCar: Penske drivers off to Verizon HQ; CFH ones to Mid-Ohio today

Sep 30, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

A busy day for members of two IndyCar teams, as Penske and CFH drivers head to New Jersey and Mid-Ohio, respectively.

12. It’s been two years since Kobayashi’s Suzuka podium with Sauber (VIDEO)

Sep 30, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

Two years ago, Kamui Kobayashi stood on an F1 podium in his home country, with Sauber. It seems so long ago, now.

13. Stats of note heading into Suzuka

Sep 30, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Sebastian Vettel AP

Some of the stats of note as we head into the Japanese Grand Prix.

14. IndyCar: What’s Honda’s next move, driver-wise?

Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Honda Indy Toronto - Day 1 Getty Images

Honda has Ryan Hunter-Reay, but losing Simon Pagenaud and Josef Newgarden are big blows from marketing and on-track standpoints.

15. NASCAR AMERICA: Tony Stewart still shaken following fatal crash (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Tony Stewart Press Conference Getty Images

More comments from Stewart’s press conference on Monday in North Carolina.

16. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO)

Sep 29, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Instead of racing to protect his position in the Chase, Jeff Gordon went into attack mode Sunday at Dover – and it paid off with a win. Check out his Victory Lane interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Kelli Stavast here.

17. Everything you need to know about the 2014 Chasers at Kansas

Sep 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Kevin Harvick AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind as the Contender Round begins on Kansas’ 1.5-mile oval.

18. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps Dover, Tony Stewart presser at 7 p.m. ET

Sep 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

AAA 400 Getty Images

Coming up: Highlights from the first cut race of the Chase; reports on Kevin Harvick’s tire failure and Hendrick Motorsports; Tony Stewart speaks about trying to carry on after his involvement in a fatal sprint car accident.

19. F1: Kevin Magnussen prepared for future – whatever it may be

Sep 29, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT

Kevin Magnussen AP

Time will tell if K-Mag will have a sophomore season in F1. But he reckons that if he didn’t do well this year with McLaren, he wasn’t cut out for the series in the first place.

20. IndyCar Driver Review: Josef Newgarden

Sep 29, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT

newgardenpost Getty Images

Josef Newgarden ends P13 in 2014, after a year where an overall top-10 finish was possible.

Video from NASCAR America

Gordon: Win was great team statement
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches