Jan 29, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
My MotorSportsTalk colleague Jerry Bonkowski will have more on Team Penske’s 2014 NASCAR announcements from Charlotte later today, but one of its pieces of news we’ll put here in this post.
Penske development driver Ryan Blaney will race up to 15 Nationwide Series events for the team, and will also make two Sprint Cup Series starts in the No. 12 SKF Ford. Blaney will race at Kansas in April and Talladega in October.
In other news…
Eric McClure will attempt to make the Daytona 500 with Front Row Motorsports, in the team’s No. 35 Hefty Ford.
McClure, who suffered a severe accident at Talladega in a NASCAR Nationwide Series race in 2012, previously attempted to qualify for the 2005 Daytona 500. He has three Sprint Cup Series starts, one apiece from 2004 through 2006.
The Nationwide Series veteran is also expected to return for a nearly full Nationwide schedule of 28 races, with 2000 series champion Jeff Green taking over in the other five.
McClure, 35, is expected to be one of several drivers in FRM’s No. 35, which ran full-time in 2013 with Josh Wise. The team’s two full-season efforts will be David Ragan (No. 34) and David Gilliland (No. 38), while the team hopes to find enough support for the No. 35 to run the majority of the races.
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0