Jan 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Marussia has finally rolled out its new MR03 chassis, with the Anglo-Russian team’s new challenger turning its first laps Thursday at Jerez.
Problem was, the five laps Max Chilton turned didn’t register an official lap time. But no matter; per the team, this was merely an installation and systems check day for the team that finished 10th in the 2013 Constructor’s Championship, ahead of rival Caterham.
“After a huge effort by the whole Team, the five laps we have achieved today may seem scant reward. However, as has been seen up and down the pit lane over the past few days, the first day of testing with this very sophisticated level of technology has really been all about ensuring the systems are reliable and also to give the engineering teams initial track data and the necessary time to aid their understanding of the car,” said Dave Greenwood, chief engineer, via the team’s official website.
As for the car, the nose section – the topic of debate and/or snarky comments throughout the F1 blogosphere on other chassis – isn’t nearly as pronounced as some of its counterparts. And since Marussia has opted to paint it black, people will be able to turn their heads and quickly look away.
Marussia has shifted to a Ferrari power unit for 2014 after serving as Cosworth’s final team in the V8 era last year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 13
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2