Jan 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Red Bull packed up early Friday from Jerez due to various teething problems. Fellow Renault power unit squad Caterham also ended a bit early, as well.
The Leafield squad completed 76 laps this week, 54 of which came today with new recruit Kamui Kobayashi and at an unrepresentative best lap of 1:43.193. The team still said it had a “more productive Friday.”
The productivity ended, however, with a Power Unit component issue ending the day a little ahead of schedule.
On the bright side for Caterham, it got in 50-plus more laps than Red Bull this week, and 76 more than Lotus, which opted not to attend the Jerez test.
On the not-so-bright side, despite all the laps, that best time today was nearly 20 seconds off the leading times ran on Thursday, when the Mercedes-powered McLaren of Kevin Magnussen ended on top at a 1:23.276.
We’ll see the next steps of Caterham’s development process from here.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 2
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0