Jan 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Even as his own future in the sport is somewhat uncertain with a pending trial, Bernie Ecclestone still isn’t holding back when it comes to opinions of the new age of Formula One.
Ecclestone spoke to Reuters Friday after Red Bull confirmed it was leaving the first test of the year early due to various teething issues.
He first called the new technical regulations “complete, utter nonsense,” and then added his official statement of disappointment.
“I am disappointed. I hate saying ‘I told you so’, but I’m disappointed because I did say I told you so and this is what’s happened,” he said, via Alan Baldwin of Reuters F1.
He added, “We had an engine that was perfect, everybody liked the sound, it was reliable, didn’t cause anybody trouble and was much, much more cheap than what they currently have to use.”
He also called last year’s championship “very good,” even though Sebastian Vettel ran away with the title with nine consecutive victories to end the season.
We now have a situation in F1 where there’s something of a disconnect between the teams, the powers-that-be, and the fans.
All of this seems to fly in the face of the man who’s led F1 for decades, Ecclestone, but is quickly feeling a loss of his nearly eternal power grip. His opinions presented Friday seem exactly the opposite of what the new F1 is trying to produce.
And the fans, who didn’t ask for some of these new regulations, are completely shut out of the decision-making process. I doubt many considered the 2013 championship “very good,” as Ecclestone did. All they can do is accept the strange-looking 2014 cars, the new regulations and continue to voice their opinions in the hopes that they’ll eventually be heard.
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 0
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 1
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0