Jan 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
Felipe Massa made it another Mercedes-powered car on top of the timesheets in Friday’s fourth test session of the week, as Formula One kicked off its official preseason testing schedule at Jerez.
Massa completed 86 laps in the Williams FW36, and posted a flier of 1:28.229 on a day when times were off the pace due to wet and damp conditions.
The Mercedes reliability was solid out of the gate this week. Massa was one of four Mercedes drivers who completed more than 80 laps on Friday; Force India reserve Daniel Juncadella clocked 81 while Nico Rosberg (91) and Kevin Magnussen (110) also turned in successful days of work.
Rosberg’s stood out in particular, as it included a full race simulation of 74 laps with two pit stops.
Fernando Alonso led the official lap sheets for the day, with 115 turned in the Ferrari F14 T and a best lap of 1:29.145.
As written earlier today, Caterham and Red Bull packed up early, although Kamui Kobayashi turned in 54 of Renault’s 70 total laps on Friday. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) and Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) didn’t even make it into double digits.
The next four-day test will run from Feb. 19-22 in Bahrain. By then, some of the reliability issues should be sorted, and Lotus should be able to make its debut with the new E22 chassis.
1. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 28.229s, 86 Laps 2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 29.145s, 115 3. Daniel Juncadella, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 29.457s, 81 4. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 30.806s, 110 5. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 30.822s, 41 6. Jules Bianchi, Marussia-Ferrari, 1m 32.222s, 25 7. Adrian Sutil, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 36.571s, 69 8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 36.951s 91 9. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1m 43.193s, 54 10. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 44.016s, 9 11. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 45.374s, 7
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1