Jan 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EST
Felipe Massa made it another Mercedes-powered car on top of the timesheets in Friday’s fourth test session of the week, as Formula One kicked off its official preseason testing schedule at Jerez.
Massa completed 86 laps in the Williams FW36, and posted a flier of 1:28.229 on a day when times were off the pace due to wet and damp conditions.
The Mercedes reliability was solid out of the gate this week. Massa was one of four Mercedes drivers who completed more than 80 laps on Friday; Force India reserve Daniel Juncadella clocked 81 while Nico Rosberg (91) and Kevin Magnussen (110) also turned in successful days of work.
Rosberg’s stood out in particular, as it included a full race simulation of 74 laps with two pit stops.
Fernando Alonso led the official lap sheets for the day, with 115 turned in the Ferrari F14 T and a best lap of 1:29.145.
As written earlier today, Caterham and Red Bull packed up early, although Kamui Kobayashi turned in 54 of Renault’s 70 total laps on Friday. Daniil Kvyat (Toro Rosso) and Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) didn’t even make it into double digits.
The next four-day test will run from Feb. 19-22 in Bahrain. By then, some of the reliability issues should be sorted, and Lotus should be able to make its debut with the new E22 chassis.
1. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 28.229s, 86 Laps 2. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 29.145s, 115 3. Daniel Juncadella, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 29.457s, 81 4. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 30.806s, 110 5. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 30.822s, 41 6. Jules Bianchi, Marussia-Ferrari, 1m 32.222s, 25 7. Adrian Sutil, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 36.571s, 69 8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 36.951s 91 9. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1m 43.193s, 54 10. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 44.016s, 9 11. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 45.374s, 7
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 1
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 3
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0