Jan 31, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
UPDATE, 7:45 p.m. ET, Friday: More successful surgery for Memo Gidley, per another team update from GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing issued on noon E.T. Friday:
“Memo Gidley underwent successful surgery to repair a fracture in his left heel this morning.
“To send well wishes to Memo, go to http://www.gainscoracing.com/All4Memo or use #All4Memo on Twitter and Facebook.”
We echo the well wishes sentiment, as Gidley begins the recovery process after his accident Saturday at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
ORIGINAL, 10:45 a.m. ET, Tuesday: The GAINSCO/Bob Stallings Racing team issued a new update Tuesday on Memo Gidley, who was injured in an accident Saturday at the Rolex 24 at Daytona:
“Memo Gidley underwent surgery late yesterday to repair and stabilize the fracture in his lower back. He continues to be monitored and evaluated at Halifax Health in Daytona Beach, Florida. We will continue to provide updates as they are available.”
Yesterday, the other driver involved in the accident, Risi Competizione’s Matteo Malucelli, was released from the hospital and returned home to Florida.
Those who have seen Gidley in hospital have said he is in good spirits. Here’s tweets from Gidley’s three co-drivers in the No. 99 GAINSCO “Red Dragon” Corvette DP, Alex Gurney, Jon Fogarty and Darren Law:
Just leaving Daytona after rough weekend. Saw Memo again this morning, he’s got such a great attitude, I admire him very much! @IMSA
— Alex Gurney (@AGurney99) January 27, 2014
Just showed @MemoGidley the video of his crash. His response… “That’s bullshit”
— Jon fogarty (@JonFogarty99) January 26, 2014
Flying home now we got to see Memo before flights I’m so happy he’s ok he’s an amazing person thanks to all for support @UnitedSportsCar
— Darren law (@DLaw544) January 27, 2014
Video from NASCAR America
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 1
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 0
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 4
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12
- The 2014 Milwaukee IndyFest weekend high on promise, with more positives than negatives 5
- NASCAR’s worst-kept secret is official: Carl Edwards joins Joe Gibbs Racing from 2015 4
- Report: Comcast’s Xfinity, NASCAR closer to series sponsorship deal 0