Feb 2, 2014, 10:46 AM EST
We’re only a couple of weeks out from SpeedWeeks at Daytona, the kickoff to the 2014 NASCAR season. The Daytona 500 is unique in that it’s the “Super Bowl” of the series, but it is the first event of the year rather than the last.
Anyway, as today, most of the country prepares for Super Bowl XLVIII in New Jersey, we’ll run a quick list of recent memorable moments from racing’s “Super Bowl” equivalent events over the last few years.
Because it’s never too early to look ahead to the blue riband events of the year.
NASCAR: Daytona 500
- 2013: NASCAR’s new Generation-6 car debuts. Danica Patrick scores the pole, and a media blitz follows. Order is restored in the galaxy when Jimmie Johnson wins.
- 2012: Rain pushes the 500 to Monday night, then a bizarre crash occurs under a yellow when Juan Pablo Montoya crashed into a jet drier. Underdog race leaders Dave Blaney and Landon Cassill get freight trained on the eventual restart after a red flag, and Matt Kenseth wins.
- 2011: Trevor Bayne takes a shock win for the Wood Brothers, after David Ragan is penalized for changing lanes on a restart.
IndyCar; Indianapolis 500
- 2013: Tony Kanaan makes the eventual winning move on a restart with a few laps to go, with his elusive first ‘500 win confirmed as longtime friend and former teammate Dario Franchitti crashes in Turn 1.
- 2012: Franchitti holds off the charge from Takuma Sato, who loses control after a passing attempt into Turn 1 (the simply awesome Japanese call is linked here). Franchitti’s win, we had no idea at the time, would be his third ‘500 and last of his illustrious IndyCar career.
- 2011: The centennial ‘500 featured a dramatic finish, as rookie JR Hildebrand crashed lapping fellow rookie Charlie Kimball in Turn 4. Hildebrand slides to the line, but the late Dan Wheldon passes his former car to pull the popular upset for Bryan Herta Autosport.
Formula 1: Monaco Grand Prix
- 2013: Nico Rosberg dominates an attrition-filled day to score his second career victory for Mercedes.
- 2012: Michael Schumacher is the fastest qualifier, but dropped five positions to serve an avoidable contact penalty from the previous Grand Prix. Mark Webber capitalizes, en route to his second Monaco victory for Red Bull.
- 2011: A late red flag for an accident shifts tire strategy, and Sebastian Vettel is able to hold off fellow World Champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button for what has been, thus far, his only Monaco win.
Sports cars/FIA WEC: 24 Hours of Le Mans
- 2013: Early-race accident that claims Allan Simonsen’s life casts a shadow over the rest of the race. Audi still wins, with eventual FIA World Endurance Champions Allan McNish, Tom Kristensen and Loic Duval behind the wheel of the R18 e-tron quattro.
- 2012: McNish’s late race charge against his teammates Benoit Treluyer, Andre Lotterer and Marcel Fassler ends with a spin, so the defending champs win their second straight race. Anthony Davidson goes for this wild ride in his Toyota, while the other Toyota hits the debuting DeltaWing and driver Satoshi Motoyama tries in vain to repair the wounded prototype.
- 2011: Audi loses McNish’s car with this horror smash, then loses Mike Rockenfeller’s car in another awful accident. But the one remaining Audi, driven by Treluyer, Lotterer and Fassler, hold off three Peugeots for the win. Simon Pagenaud’s efforts in the new 908 came up a scant 13 seconds short after 24 hours.
Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EST
Daughter of legendary Funny Car champ John Force, Brittany Force is out to prove that 2015 will be her year in NHRA Top Fuel racing.
Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EST
Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., spent a recent testing day in a Formula 4 car, a possible prelude to following in his famous father’s footsteps.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
Edwards’ Arris car won’t be hard to find in a pack next year.
Dec 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Rare, intriguing call for CGR to put two lesser-experienced drivers in No. 01 car.
Dec 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
Williams’ stellar 2014 season, recapped in pictures and words.
Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth proved that consistency still pays.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:49 PM EST
The fan-favorite Sprint Experience at NASCAR tracks across the country is apparently no longer, according to a media report.
Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
McMurray shined at the All-Star Race in May but missed out on a 2014 Chase berth.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
Kyle Larson had a tremendous rookie season in 2014. If he was that good this season, imagine how much better he’ll be next season and seasons to come.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Felipe Nasr’s No. 12 rounds out the F1 grid number choices for 2015.
Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Jean-Eric Vergne signs with Ferrari as a test and development driver, which means a bunch of simulator work.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EST
RC Enerson moves up from USF2000 to Indy Lights.
Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
Multiplatinum artist to rock out before 2015 running of the Great American Race.
Dec 19, 2014, 10:37 AM EST
Party like it’s 1996 in 2015 – Panis and Herta sons signed to deals.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST
It lasts only four months, but there’ll be lots of action on the schedule for the 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.
Dec 18, 2014, 9:26 PM EST
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be slinging some pre-Christmas dirt this Saturday in an all-star sprint car race in DuQuoin, Ill.
Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 PM EST
One of Kurt Busch’s sponsors has joined team owner Gene Haas in backing the driver in his ongoing dispute with ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 PM EST
Want to have a good laugh or two? Check out all of the bloopers and behind-the-scenes fun from NASCAR America over this past year.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:18 PM EST
NASCAR announced that a Camping World Truck Series crew member has been suspended for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.
Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
RoC, Mecum, and two F1 “Road To:” specials make for motors block on NBCSN tonight starting at 7 p.m. ET.
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 1
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 3
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0