Feb 3, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s not a need to draw too much in the way of conclusions after Formula One’s first test in Jerez last week, except these:
- Mercedes powerplants ran hundreds of laps (875 total laps).
- Renault powerplants did not (151).
- Ferrari split the difference (444).
- This marked the first time teams could get any sort of extended running on the 2014 Pirelli compounds.
- Kevin Magnussen delivered as excellent a first impression as a confirmed Grand Prix driver as was possible.
- Teams will still have a lot of work to do in the factories before the next test, Feb. 19-22 in Bahrain.
1. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 23.276s, 162 Laps 2. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 23.700s, 133 3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 23.952s, 121 4. Jenson Button, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 24.165s, 83 5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 24.812s, 78 6. Valtteri Bottas, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 25.344s, 42 7. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 25.495s, 173 8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 25.588s, 188 9. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 26.096s, 17 10. Sergio Perez, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 28.376s, 48 11. Daniel Juncadella, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 29.457s, 81 12. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 29.915s, 45 13. Adrian Sutil, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 30.161s, 103 14. Jules Bianchi, Marussia-Ferrari, 1m 32.222s, 25 15. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 33.270s, 60 16. Marcus Ericsson, Caterham-Renault, 1m 37.975s, 12 17. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 38.320s, 11 18. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1m 43.193s, 54 19. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 44.016s, 9 20. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 45.374s, 10 21. Robin Frijns, Caterham-Renault, No time, 10 22. Max Chilton, Marussia-Ferrari, No time, 5
- It’s “never-say-die” for Graham Rahal with three races left 0
- Paralyzed driver Michael Johnson returning to track in Pro Mazda 0
- Simon Pagenaud ‘agonizingly close’ to wins at Mid-Ohio, not to success in 2015 0
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 1
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 6
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 20
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 7