Feb 3, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s not a need to draw too much in the way of conclusions after Formula One’s first test in Jerez last week, except these:
- Mercedes powerplants ran hundreds of laps (875 total laps).
- Renault powerplants did not (151).
- Ferrari split the difference (444).
- This marked the first time teams could get any sort of extended running on the 2014 Pirelli compounds.
- Kevin Magnussen delivered as excellent a first impression as a confirmed Grand Prix driver as was possible.
- Teams will still have a lot of work to do in the factories before the next test, Feb. 19-22 in Bahrain.
1. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 23.276s, 162 Laps 2. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 23.700s, 133 3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 23.952s, 121 4. Jenson Button, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 24.165s, 83 5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 24.812s, 78 6. Valtteri Bottas, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 25.344s, 42 7. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 25.495s, 173 8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 25.588s, 188 9. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 26.096s, 17 10. Sergio Perez, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 28.376s, 48 11. Daniel Juncadella, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 29.457s, 81 12. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 29.915s, 45 13. Adrian Sutil, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 30.161s, 103 14. Jules Bianchi, Marussia-Ferrari, 1m 32.222s, 25 15. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 33.270s, 60 16. Marcus Ericsson, Caterham-Renault, 1m 37.975s, 12 17. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 38.320s, 11 18. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1m 43.193s, 54 19. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 44.016s, 9 20. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 45.374s, 10 21. Robin Frijns, Caterham-Renault, No time, 10 22. Max Chilton, Marussia-Ferrari, No time, 5
Jul 29, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
The impact of the Jeff Gordon Era; a family affair at Indy for the Dillons; thoughts on the Homestead tire test in August.
Jul 29, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Carl Edwards, Jack Roush and crew chief Bob Osborne were severely penalized for a missing oil tank container lid after Edwards’ win at Las Vegas six years ago.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
No. 11 crew chief Darian Grubb suspended for six races, fined $125,000; No. 11 car chief Wesley Sherrill suspended for six races; Denny Hamlin loses 75 championship points, but still in position to make the Chase.
Jul 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
A look back at Ganassi’s half-decade of dominance at the old-school road course in the Ohio countryside.
Jul 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: The Top 5 wins of Jeff Gordon’s career; “Scan All 43″ for the Brickyard 400; reaction to Ty Dillon’s Nationwide win at Indianapolis.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Richard Petty and David Pearson were joined on Sunday by Jeff Gordon as the only Sprint Cup drivers to win at least 90 races at NASCAR’s top level.
Jul 29, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Between a few days in Texas and auctioning off her race worn Indianapolis 500 helmet, it’s been a busy couple of weeks for Pippa Mann and the Susan G. Komen organization.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Chase-eligible teams will have to send a driver not qualified for the post-season to an Aug. 26 tire test at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Jul 29, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
IndyCar heads to Mid-Ohio this week. Here’s how telemetry readings from the track looked 20 years ago.
Jul 29, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
After a group of laid-off employees from Caterham announced their intent to pursue legal action against the team’s new owners, Caterham has said they’ll push for a lawsuit against the ex-employees over “gross misrepresentation of the facts.”
Jul 29, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
MotorSportsTalk catches up with Milwaukee IndyFest general manager Kevin Healy of Andretti Sports Marketing for a primer on the level of IndyFest promotion you’ll see at the Wisconsin State Fair, which starts Thursday.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
It’s been a character-building season for the defending World Champions, but things are looking up for Red Bull going into the summer break.
Jul 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Two charity cars and three comeback efforts highlight the Pirelli World Challenge weekend at Mid-Ohio.
Jul 29, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
English rookie Jack Hawksworth has impressed more often than not during his first IndyCar season, and could bag his first win before the year’s out.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
Reports Tuesday indicate Bernie Ecclestone could attempt to pay his way out of his corruption case.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone speaks out against standing starts, and wants them gone for 2015 before they even get the chance to debut.
Jul 29, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Roush Fenway Racing faces a period of uncertainty with its younger lineup for 2015, alongside Greg Biffle.
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
There have been some massive rises and falls in the F1 points tables comparing the 2014 standings post-Hungary to the 2013 ones.
Jul 28, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Among the possible options: A new steering damper, a thumb/wrist brace adapted from motocross, and energy-absorbing material for steering wheels.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT
Jeff Gordon reflects on fifth Brickyard victory; Joe Gibbs Racing starting to peak; the impact of Carl Edwards’ exit from Roush Fenway Racing.
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 3
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0
- Chase-eligible teams – but not drivers – allowed at Homestead tire test 4
- Q&A: Kevin Healy on Milwaukee IndyFest activation heading into Wisconsin State Fair 2
- Report: Ecclestone says no to standing restarts in 2015 6