Feb 3, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There’s not a need to draw too much in the way of conclusions after Formula One’s first test in Jerez last week, except these:
- Mercedes powerplants ran hundreds of laps (875 total laps).
- Renault powerplants did not (151).
- Ferrari split the difference (444).
- This marked the first time teams could get any sort of extended running on the 2014 Pirelli compounds.
- Kevin Magnussen delivered as excellent a first impression as a confirmed Grand Prix driver as was possible.
- Teams will still have a lot of work to do in the factories before the next test, Feb. 19-22 in Bahrain.
1. Kevin Magnussen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 23.276s, 162 Laps 2. Felipe Massa, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 23.700s, 133 3. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1m 23.952s, 121 4. Jenson Button, McLaren-Mercedes, 1m 24.165s, 83 5. Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 1m 24.812s, 78 6. Valtteri Bottas, Williams-Mercedes, 1m 25.344s, 42 7. Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 1m 25.495s, 173 8. Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, 1m 25.588s, 188 9. Nico Hulkenberg, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 26.096s, 17 10. Sergio Perez, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 28.376s, 48 11. Daniel Juncadella, Force India-Mercedes, 1m 29.457s, 81 12. Jean-Eric Vergne, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 29.915s, 45 13. Adrian Sutil, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 30.161s, 103 14. Jules Bianchi, Marussia-Ferrari, 1m 32.222s, 25 15. Esteban Gutierrez, Sauber-Ferrari, 1m 33.270s, 60 16. Marcus Ericsson, Caterham-Renault, 1m 37.975s, 12 17. Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 38.320s, 11 18. Kamui Kobayashi, Caterham-Renault, 1m 43.193s, 54 19. Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso-Renault, 1m 44.016s, 9 20. Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull-Renault, 1m 45.374s, 10 21. Robin Frijns, Caterham-Renault, No time, 10 22. Max Chilton, Marussia-Ferrari, No time, 5
Aug 29, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan also reports on the atmosphere around Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT
“…[Stewart] being in the race car right now is about him getting through what has been a very emotional two weeks, and what his next step is in coping with this.” – Stewart Haas Racing’s Brett Frood
Aug 29, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT
Brian Vickers and other winless drivers are facing big-time pressure to get a victory in the final races of the regular season.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Porsche GT-Cup class class to enter into Pirelli World Challenge in 2015.
Aug 29, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Coming up today: More on the return of Tony Stewart at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Houston gone and momentum grows for Canadian Tire Motorsport Park, if a date can be found, for IndyCar.
Aug 29, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Following an emotional press conference this morning, the three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion got back to work.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — Tony Stewart didn’t just wake up Friday morning and decide he was going to return to NASCAR racing. Rather, NASCAR officials required that Stewart followed procedures and protocols that included him being evaluated by outside professionals.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:05 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Tony Stewart is still eligible to make this year’s Chase for the Sprint Cup, NASCAR president Mike Helton announced Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway. But for that to happen, Stewart must win one of the next two races to get in.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:47 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. — NASCAR president Mike Helton spoke with the media an hour after Tony Stewart read his self-prepared statement Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Ontario County (N.Y.) Sheriff Philip Povero makes his first statement on the Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. crash investigation since Aug. 12.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – Stewart-Haas Racing teammates Danica Patrick and Kurt Busch are fully in support of their boss, Tony Stewart, being back in a race car this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
After reading from a prepared statement, Stewart left to prepare for Sprint Cup practice this afternoon. Stewart Haas Racing executive VP Brett Frood then took questions from the assembled media.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Will Power on top in opening MAVTV 500 practice session.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:37 PM EDT
HAMPTON, Ga. – A visibly somber Tony Stewart, at times bordering on tears, faced the media and the NASCAR world for the first time in nearly three weeks Friday afternoon at Atlanta Motor Speedway.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Frenchman hoping to bounce back to form at the Singapore Grand Prix in three weeks’ time.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
NWI will sponsor Earnhardt and the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy at Richmond, and will reveal its 2015 paint scheme for NASCAR’s most popular driver next week on social media.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Kvyat has impressed the entire F1 community after a mature start to his career.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Not something you see every day: Denny Hamlin lip syncing to Taylor Swift.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Briton says that he shares a “deep foundation” with Rosberg despite their differences.
Video from NASCAR America
- How NASCAR determined Tony Stewart was ready to race again 3
- Helton: Tony Stewart still eligible for Chase, but must win to get in 2
- Sheriff: Stewart crash investigation to continue “for at least another 2 weeks” 8
- Kurt Busch, Danica Patrick glad to see boss, teammate and friend Tony Stewart back in race car 0
- Tony Stewart: ‘This is a sadness and pain that I hope no one has to experience in their life’ 40
- The most memorable moments of IndyCar 2014 (so far) 0
- Mercedes drivers “remain free to race” following meeting today 7