Feb 3, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
American football season is officially over with the Seattle Seahawks’ smackdown of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII last night.
Which means that next up in the sporting calendar is the start of two racing seasons, NASCAR’s and the NHRA’s.
Daytona Speedweeks and the Circle K Pomona Winternationals are February’s racing highlights, although testing for other series is still ongoing this month.
Here’s what’s on tap for the racing month of February (see January’s “on tap” here):
- Daytona Speedweeks: From Feb. 14 through Feb. 23, 10 days of practice, qualifying and racing culminating with the Daytona 500 on the 23rd. NASCAR’s Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, the ARCA opener and the preseason Sprint Unlimited and Budweiser Duel Sprint Cup events will take place. For the Daytona 500, there will be several new team/driver combination debuts, and also the much-heralded return of the No. 3 to a Sprint Cup race with rookie Austin Dillon.
- NHRA’s West Coast doubleheader: The traditional first two weekends of the drag racing season commence at Pomona (Feb. 6-9) and Phoenix (Feb. 21-23). At the season opener, Courtney Force seeks to defend her Funny Car race win and father John begins another season long title defense. It’s a big year for JFR as a whole; the team enters its last year with Fords and Castrol, two flagship brands associated with the Force family for nearly 30 years.
- F1’s Bahrain testing double: There wasn’t a ton of running for the contingent of Formula One teams at their first test in Jerez last week; teams spent time sorting out some initial mechanical issues with their new chassis and new powerplants. Heavier running should occur at both February tests in Bahrain; the first is from Feb. 19-22, with the second Feb. 27-March 2. Lotus, which missed the Jerez test, is the only team yet to run its new chassis.
- More IndyCar testing: A mix of Florida and California tests for the IndyCar Series are on tap. Additionally, the series will hold its preseason Media Day in Orlando on Feb. 18. The series still has a handful of full-season seats to fill as we enter the final two months before its season opener in St. Petersburg at the end of March – there was little movement on the driver front in January.
- Winter Series: There’s two “winter series” of note. The new four-race Florida Winter Series runs from Feb. 3-5 at Palm Beach, Feb. 12-14 and Feb. 17-19 at Homestead. Meanwhile the Cooper Tires Winterfest Championship takes place for all three rungs of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder. Doubleheader Pro Mazda races and tripleheader USF2000 races will occur Feb. 21-22 at NOLA Motorsports Park and Feb. 25-26 at Barber Motorsports Park, respectively; Indy Lights will have testing all four days as well.
- Elsewhere: The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship tests at Sebring Feb. 20-21, in what will be another test of Balance of Performance for DP and P2 cars … FIA World Rally Championship has its second event of the season this weekend, Rally Sweden in the snow Feb. 5-8 … one endurance race of note is on tap, with the Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour race for production and GT cars Feb. 7-9 … we figure there will be more Pirelli World Challenge team and driver announcements across its field.
Nov 22, 2014, 6:15 PM EST
Will Owen, who impressively won the 2014 USF2000 race as a rookie at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this past May, is moving up the racing ladder.
Nov 22, 2014, 5:52 PM EST
Something a bit quicker than nine little reindeer…
Marco Andretti, Will Power, AJ Allmendinger go back to roots in big karting race this weekend in Las Vegas
Nov 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Marco Andretti, reigning IndyCar champ Will Power and NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger, are all going back to their racing roots this weekend in Las Vegas, taking part in one of the biggest karting events of the season.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:45 PM EST
Luke, Lambert, crew chief for Ryan Newman, has been named Federal-Mogul Motorparts’ “Problem Solver of the Year.” And with it comes a $100,000 prize that he’ll receive Dec. 4 in Las Vegas.
Nov 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EST
The former Grand Prix regular and current sports car racer chats with NBCSN’s Will Buxton in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 22, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
Mallya attacks Red Bull following its double exclusion from today’s qualifying session in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
di Grassi climbs from 18th on the grid to second at finish in Putrajaya ePrix; Nick Heidfeld found to have made pit stop car change outside permitted area, relegated to 19th.
Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
The stage is set for the final showdown on Sunday. Will it be Lewis or Nico?
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
McLaren junior driver moves up to second in the championship with feature race win in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
The new cancer center’s lobby will be named in honor of RHR’s late mother, who succumbed to colon cancer in 2009.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EST
The British F1 debutant will start his first grand prix from 17th place tomorrow.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
He remains suspended by NASCAR, but Jeremy Mayfield continues his racing comeback this weekend at Myrtle Beach Speedway.
Nov 22, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Ricciardo and Vettel to start from the back of the grid in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
The 22-year-old is not set to move up to F1 despite an incredible rookie season in GP2.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EST
Valtteri Bottas and Williams best of the rest once again in Abu Dhabi qualifying.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
The administrator put in charge of the ailing F1 team believes that a buyer can be found in the next couple of weeks.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
“The technical people were panicking a little bit, being afraid that I would take some secrets.”
Nov 22, 2014, 10:13 AM EST
The Mexican driver will remain with Force India for 2015 alongside Nico Hulkenberg.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
It was confirmed on Thursday that the four time F1 world champion would be joining Ferrari for the 2015 season, replacing Fernando Alonso.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 1
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21