Feb 3, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
American football season is officially over with the Seattle Seahawks’ smackdown of the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII last night.
Which means that next up in the sporting calendar is the start of two racing seasons, NASCAR’s and the NHRA’s.
Daytona Speedweeks and the Circle K Pomona Winternationals are February’s racing highlights, although testing for other series is still ongoing this month.
Here’s what’s on tap for the racing month of February (see January’s “on tap” here):
- Daytona Speedweeks: From Feb. 14 through Feb. 23, 10 days of practice, qualifying and racing culminating with the Daytona 500 on the 23rd. NASCAR’s Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series, the ARCA opener and the preseason Sprint Unlimited and Budweiser Duel Sprint Cup events will take place. For the Daytona 500, there will be several new team/driver combination debuts, and also the much-heralded return of the No. 3 to a Sprint Cup race with rookie Austin Dillon.
- NHRA’s West Coast doubleheader: The traditional first two weekends of the drag racing season commence at Pomona (Feb. 6-9) and Phoenix (Feb. 21-23). At the season opener, Courtney Force seeks to defend her Funny Car race win and father John begins another season long title defense. It’s a big year for JFR as a whole; the team enters its last year with Fords and Castrol, two flagship brands associated with the Force family for nearly 30 years.
- F1’s Bahrain testing double: There wasn’t a ton of running for the contingent of Formula One teams at their first test in Jerez last week; teams spent time sorting out some initial mechanical issues with their new chassis and new powerplants. Heavier running should occur at both February tests in Bahrain; the first is from Feb. 19-22, with the second Feb. 27-March 2. Lotus, which missed the Jerez test, is the only team yet to run its new chassis.
- More IndyCar testing: A mix of Florida and California tests for the IndyCar Series are on tap. Additionally, the series will hold its preseason Media Day in Orlando on Feb. 18. The series still has a handful of full-season seats to fill as we enter the final two months before its season opener in St. Petersburg at the end of March – there was little movement on the driver front in January.
- Winter Series: There’s two “winter series” of note. The new four-race Florida Winter Series runs from Feb. 3-5 at Palm Beach, Feb. 12-14 and Feb. 17-19 at Homestead. Meanwhile the Cooper Tires Winterfest Championship takes place for all three rungs of the Mazda Road to Indy ladder. Doubleheader Pro Mazda races and tripleheader USF2000 races will occur Feb. 21-22 at NOLA Motorsports Park and Feb. 25-26 at Barber Motorsports Park, respectively; Indy Lights will have testing all four days as well.
- Elsewhere: The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship tests at Sebring Feb. 20-21, in what will be another test of Balance of Performance for DP and P2 cars … FIA World Rally Championship has its second event of the season this weekend, Rally Sweden in the snow Feb. 5-8 … one endurance race of note is on tap, with the Liqui Moly Bathurst 12 Hour race for production and GT cars Feb. 7-9 … we figure there will be more Pirelli World Challenge team and driver announcements across its field.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT
LeBron came back to Cleveland, but IndyCar isn’t. Yet.
Jul 7, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
Scott Dixon’s 250th start comes at the same track he debuted with Chip Ganassi Racing at in 2002.
Jul 7, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Fast facts heading into this weekend’s ABC Supply Co. Wisconsin 250, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Alonso provides a sneak peek at McLaren simulator.
Jul 7, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The son of Mike Wallace will make his second ARCA start on July 24 at Lucas Oil Raceway.
Jul 7, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Carpenter and Newgarden look for a rebound similar to the 1-2 finish at Toronto.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:04 AM EDT
Wilson returns for final five IndyCar races of the year with Andretti Autosport.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:10 AM EDT
Next up for one of racing’s busiest drivers? ARCA debut in Iowa.
Jul 7, 2015, 9:44 AM EDT
Will Power dominated Milwaukee in 2014. Here’s how he did it.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Degree of continuity at Coyne, as Mann and Vautier confirmed for next two short ovals.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Scott Hargrove adds two more wins to his record after a one-day sweep of two Porsche races in Canada.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:04 PM EDT
IndyCar, Indy Lights drivers try to guess towns or cheeses in Wisconsin.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
The potential ripple effects of Austin Dillon’s catch-fence accident could extend far beyond NASCAR.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Sandell, Dyne make it a double top-five for Bryan Herta Rallysport at MCAS New River.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Leading 1-2 early, Williams was almost trapped, rather than able to seize its moment in Silverstone.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
A gamble on intermediate tires backfires for Kimi Raikkonen at Silverstone.
Race Recap: Hamilton sees off early Williams threat and late rain shower to claim third home victory
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The British driver sends the home crowd into raptures with his third Silverstone victory.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
After the latest Red Bull GRC round, we catch up with NBC Sports Group motorsports analyst Townsend Bell for a special Red Bull GRC installment of “Ten with Townsend.”
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Luke Smith gets a little patriotic following his home grand prix, explaining why F1 could stand to be a little more British in its mentality.
NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win
Jul 5, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Doug Kalitta (Top Fuel), Jack Beckman (Funny Car), Greg Anderson (Pro Stock) and Karen Stoffer (Pro Stock Motorcycle) took home wins in Sunday’s NHRA race in Norwalk, Ohio.
- Report: Cleveland out for 2016 IndyCar schedule, still possible for future 0
- It’s not the years, but the mileage for Scott Dixon going into 250th start 0
- CFH Racing looks to turn things around once again at Milwaukee 0
- Welcome back, Wilson: Englishman back with Andretti for rest of 2015 1
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 8
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2