Feb 3, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
We don’t spend a ton of time at MotorSportsTalk focusing on the GP2 Series and/or World Series by Renault, but considering they’re the two top feeder series into Formula One, we do want to recap who’s lining up where at this stage in the offseason before their 2014 seasons start.
Starting with GP2, some of the F1 aspirational names already confirmed for the 2014 season include McLaren reserve Stoffel Vandoorne and Caterham reserve Alexander Rossi. I spoke to Rossi about his hopes for this year at the Rolex 24 at Daytona, when he raced in the DeltaWing prototype.
“I think you always have a shot (to advance), but the best kind of B-plan option is GP2 for another year and I’m quite pleased with that,” said Rossi, who won his first GP2 race at Abu Dhabi in November. “With the same team, keeping the continuity is a positive thing. We have very high expectations for the next year.”
Here’s the quick rundown of confirmed team/driver combinations in GP2:
- Carlin: 3-Julian Leal
- DAMS: 7-Jolyon Palmer, 8-Stephane Richelmi
- ART Grand Prix: 9-Stoffel Vandoorne, 10-Takuya Izawa
- Hilmer Motorsport: 11-Daniel Abt
- Rapax: 14-Simon Trummer
- Arden International: 16-Rene Binder, 17-Andre Negrao
- EQ8 Caterham Racing: 18-Rio Haryanto, 19-Alexander Rossi
- MP Motorsport: 20-Daniel De Jong
- Campos Racing: 26-Arthur Pic
Those seats not confirmed include both seats at Russian Time (Nos. 1, 2), Racing Engineering (Nos. 5, 6), Trident Racing (Nos. 22, 23), Venezuela GP Lazarus (Nos. 24, 25) and second seats at Carlin (No. 4), Hilmer (No. 12), Rapax (No. 15), MP (No. 21) and Campos (No. 27).
The 2013 champion, Fabio Leimer, does not have his plans set for 2014; series runner-up Sam Bird will run selected TUDOR United SportsCar Championship races with Starworks Motorsport in North America. The GP2 season begins April 5-6 at Bahrain.
Meanwhile in WSR, the series won by new McLaren recruit Kevin Magnussen last year, there’s still more seats to be filled before its first test Feb. 25-27 at Motorland Aragon. Confirmed team/driver combinations are below:
- Arden Motorsport (GBR): William Buller, Pierre Gasly
- DAMS (FRA): Norman Nato, Carlos Sainz Jr.
- Fortec Motorsports (GBR): Oliver Rowland, Sergey Sirotkin
- International Draco Racing (ITA): Pietro Fantin
- ISR (CZE): Jazeman Jaafar
- Lotus (CZE): Matthieu Vaxiviere
- Strakka Racing (GBR): Will Stevens, Matias Laine
Teams still needing to confirm both seats are: AV Formula (ESP), Carlin (GBR), Comtec Racing (GBR), Pons Racing (ESP), Tech 1 Racing (FRA) and Zeta Corse (ITA). Draco, ISR and Lotus still have to confirm their second seats. The WSR race season opens April 12-13 at Monza.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0