Feb 3, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Clint Bowyer is the lone full season holdover at Michael Waltrip Racing for the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season; Martin Truex Jr. has left for Furniture Row Racing and the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota, which was shared by several drivers the last couple years, will have a single driver in Brian Vickers.
With that established, MWR is determined to keep Bowyer for 2015 and beyond, per team owner Rob Kauffman in a FOX Sports report.
“We working on it now, trying to get it renewed,” Kauffman told FOX’s Lee Spencer. “It’s time to perform and make sure we maintain that level of success so we can re-up these sponsors and get a contract signed. We should have something soon.”
The renewal process for Bowyer requires several steps. Getting the Emporia, Kan. driver under contract is step one; from there, the team can work on the commercial aspects of the deal.
There was a bunch of movement this offseason that saw drivers shift to other teams, and created more potential Chase challengers. For MWR to stay in title-winning contention, it needs to wrap up Bowyer to ensure it stays in the top tier of the NASCAR grid.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 0
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0
- Chilton to race in Belgium after all; Rossi denied F1 debut 4
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the Belgian Grand Prix 0
- After 62 starts, Brad Keselowski finally earns first career Trucks win at Bristol 0