Feb 4, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
“Front Row” Joe Nemechek has his 2014 plans set, as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series continues to confirm more mid-level entries to grow the field size. He’ll have a busy season between Cup and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Jay Robinson Racing has partnered with Michael Waltrip Racing, and Nemechek will race anywhere from 27 to 29 races in the partner’s entry, the No. 66 Toyota. Waltrip will drive that car at the Daytona 500, and Jeff Burton at the remaining six to eight events.
Nemechek will also race 12 of 22 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races in the No. 8 SWM-NEMCO Motorsports truck, with son John Hunter racing the other 10 events where at age 16, he’s eligible to compete. That was revealed Wednesday in a team release.
“We all have our bucket lists and racing the truck for a win is on mine,” Joe Nemechek said in the release. “Trucks are a lot of fun with the high downforce and less horsepower. And what better way to make a run for it than with the excitement of sharing the season with my son, and giving him the best possibility to run well.”
Nemechek, 50, has run his own NEMCO Cup team the last five years, since racing with Furniture Row Racing in 2008. He has four career wins in 651 starts. He has not won in seven career truck starts, the last of which came in 2006. As he was the 1992 NASCAR Busch Grand National (now Nationwide) champion, a win in trucks would add his name to the list of drivers with victories in all three of NASCAR’s major national touring series.
- BREAKING NEWS: NHRA to go ahead with Topeka race May 22-24, despite City Council vote against racetrack purchase 0
- New McLaren Honda livery revealed 1
- Q&A: IMS President Doug Boles heading into 2015 Month of May, 2016 planning 0
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 4
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 3
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 3
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1