Feb 4, 2014, 3:00 PM EST
“Front Row” Joe Nemechek has his 2014 plans set, as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series continues to confirm more mid-level entries to grow the field size. He’ll have a busy season between Cup and the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Jay Robinson Racing has partnered with Michael Waltrip Racing, and Nemechek will race anywhere from 27 to 29 races in the partner’s entry, the No. 66 Toyota. Waltrip will drive that car at the Daytona 500, and Jeff Burton at the remaining six to eight events.
Nemechek will also race 12 of 22 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series races in the No. 8 SWM-NEMCO Motorsports truck, with son John Hunter racing the other 10 events where at age 16, he’s eligible to compete. That was revealed Wednesday in a team release.
“We all have our bucket lists and racing the truck for a win is on mine,” Joe Nemechek said in the release. “Trucks are a lot of fun with the high downforce and less horsepower. And what better way to make a run for it than with the excitement of sharing the season with my son, and giving him the best possibility to run well.”
Nemechek, 50, has run his own NEMCO Cup team the last five years, since racing with Furniture Row Racing in 2008. He has four career wins in 651 starts. He has not won in seven career truck starts, the last of which came in 2006. As he was the 1992 NASCAR Busch Grand National (now Nationwide) champion, a win in trucks would add his name to the list of drivers with victories in all three of NASCAR’s major national touring series.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 7
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 8
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 20
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 6