Feb 5, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Scuderia Ferrari has retained Davide Rigon and former Formula One race drivers Marc Gene and Pedro de la Rosa as its three test and development drivers for 2014.
Rigon, 27, will pair his F1 testing work with a full season in the FIA World Endurance Championship, racing for the AF Corse team in the GTE Pro class. Rigon has experience with a year-old spec Ferrari F458 Italia in the GTE Am division in the WEC a year ago, with Enzo Potolicchio’s 8Star Motorsports team; he’ll step up to the Pro class and a 2014 version of the F458 this year.
Gene and de la Rosa, meanwhile, provide the veteran support to the team. The Spaniards each began their F1 race careers as rookies in 1999; Gene with Minardi and de la Rosa at Arrows. Now, Gene enters his tenth season with Ferrari, while de la Rosa begins his second.
On the off chance either Fernando Alonso or Kimi Raikkonen can’t participate in a Grand Prix this year, Rigon would be unavailable on five occasions due to his WEC commitments. The official preseason WEC test ends March 30 at Paul Ricard, same date as the Malaysian Grand Prix weekend.
Meanwhile on April 20, F1 is at Shanghai and the WEC at Silverstone; on Sept. 20, the WEC is at Austin with F1 in Singapore a day later; on Oct. 12, the WEC is at Fuji and F1 in Russia; and on Nov. 2, the WEC is in Shanghai while F1 is in Austin.
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 0
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 2
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0