Feb 6, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
These are the “further details in February” Andretti Autosport planned to announce when the team first announced last month it was expanding into Red Bull Global Rallycross.
The team will race a pair of Volkswagen modified Polo rally cars, and switch to the third-generation Beetle later in the year. The latter will feature more than 600 horsepower from its turbocharged and direct-injection EA888 TSI® engine.
Drivers? They’ve got rallying ace and TV personality Tanner Foust in one car (pictured right) and former Formula One driver-turned-NASCAR and rallycross racer Scott Speed in the other.
Foust will drive a car sponsored by Rockstar Energy Drink, with Speed in the 7UP entry. 7UP falls under the Dr Pepper Snapple umbrella of brands; that’s a company Andretti Autosport continues its relationship with on the IndyCar side, and now sees active in GRC.
Foust is a two-time GRC champion (2011, 2012), while Speed won a pair of GRC races in 2013.
The season begins in May in Barbados; that weekend is the same as qualifying for the Indianapolis 500, so it would seem to rule out either driver for Andretti’s likely fifth car the team would plan to run at this year’s race.
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0