Feb 6, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
These are the “further details in February” Andretti Autosport planned to announce when the team first announced last month it was expanding into Red Bull Global Rallycross.
The team will race a pair of Volkswagen modified Polo rally cars, and switch to the third-generation Beetle later in the year. The latter will feature more than 600 horsepower from its turbocharged and direct-injection EA888 TSI® engine.
Drivers? They’ve got rallying ace and TV personality Tanner Foust in one car (pictured right) and former Formula One driver-turned-NASCAR and rallycross racer Scott Speed in the other.
Foust will drive a car sponsored by Rockstar Energy Drink, with Speed in the 7UP entry. 7UP falls under the Dr Pepper Snapple umbrella of brands; that’s a company Andretti Autosport continues its relationship with on the IndyCar side, and now sees active in GRC.
Foust is a two-time GRC champion (2011, 2012), while Speed won a pair of GRC races in 2013.
The season begins in May in Barbados; that weekend is the same as qualifying for the Indianapolis 500, so it would seem to rule out either driver for Andretti’s likely fifth car the team would plan to run at this year’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0