Feb 7, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Its flagship race is held in October, but for Mount Panorama, February is also a big month with the annual Liqui-Moly Bathurst 12 Hour this weekend.
The endurance race is held on the same course as the Australian V8 Supercars race in the iconic Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000. The 12-hour race features a heavy mix of GT3 contenders from manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Nissan, McLaren, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Porsche to name but a few.
Erebus Motorsport won the race overall in 2013, with the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 driven by Bernd Schneider, Thomas Jaeger and Alexander Roloff. Schneider and Erebus are back to defend the title in 2014, with co-drivers Maro Engel and Nicolas Bastian.
V8 drivers competing include Craig Lowndes, Will Davison, Jason Bright, Warren Luff, Rick Kelly, Craig Baird, Steve Richards, Dean Canto, Tony D’Alberto and Karl Reindler. Audi aces Rene Rast and Markus Winkelhock make the trek to Australia after competing in the Rolex 24 at Daytona two weekends ago.
Others of note include Oliver Gavin and Americans Patrick Long and Kevin Gleason.
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0