Feb 7, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Force India has expanded into the GP2 ranks with a partnership with Hilmer Motorsport, the team announced Friday. The provides Sahara Force India an official place in the championship, and expands the organization’s driver development program beyond its reserve lineups.
Facu Regalia and Daniel Abt will drive the team’s GP2 entries; Daniel Juncadella will focus on his reserve role with the F1 team.
“As a team we’ve always placed great emphasis on nurturing young drivers so I’m delighted to announce our partnership with a GP2 team,” Force India team principal Dr. Vijay Mallya said. “It’s the logical next step as we look to bring through the next generation of drivers and provide them with the opportunity to showcase their talent. Our presence in GP2 moves us closer to having a holistic development programme to school drivers from grassroots karting to the higher echelons of professional motorsport.”
Added Hilmer team boss Franz Hilmer, “We are very happy about the collaboration between Hilmer Motorsport and Sahara Force India Formula One Team. I’ve had an association with Sahara Force India for ten years and we are looking forward to working together on a sporting level going forward.”
Abt was already confirmed in this year’s GP2 lineup, and Regalia steps up from GP3, where he finished second to Daniil Kyvat in 2013.
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0