Feb 7, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
Force India has expanded into the GP2 ranks with a partnership with Hilmer Motorsport, the team announced Friday. The provides Sahara Force India an official place in the championship, and expands the organization’s driver development program beyond its reserve lineups.
Facu Regalia and Daniel Abt will drive the team’s GP2 entries; Daniel Juncadella will focus on his reserve role with the F1 team.
“As a team we’ve always placed great emphasis on nurturing young drivers so I’m delighted to announce our partnership with a GP2 team,” Force India team principal Dr. Vijay Mallya said. “It’s the logical next step as we look to bring through the next generation of drivers and provide them with the opportunity to showcase their talent. Our presence in GP2 moves us closer to having a holistic development programme to school drivers from grassroots karting to the higher echelons of professional motorsport.”
Added Hilmer team boss Franz Hilmer, “We are very happy about the collaboration between Hilmer Motorsport and Sahara Force India Formula One Team. I’ve had an association with Sahara Force India for ten years and we are looking forward to working together on a sporting level going forward.”
Abt was already confirmed in this year’s GP2 lineup, and Regalia steps up from GP3, where he finished second to Daniil Kyvat in 2013.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 0
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 13
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1
- Sprint to end title sponsorship of NASCAR’s Cup Series after 2016 (VIDEO) 17
- NBC SportsWorld: The vision of blind NHRA crew chief Jay Blake 1