Feb 7, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Most of the pieces are in place for the field for this year’s Daytona 500. An unofficial list of those confirmed to compete in the race are below, with a handful of other notes to follow. We’ll break it down by manufacturer:
- Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates: 1-Jamie McMurray, 42-Kyle Larson (R)
- Richard Childress Racing: 3-Austin Dillon (R), 27-Paul Menard, 31-Ryan Newman, 33-Brian Scott
- Stewart-Haas Racing: 4-Kevin Harvick, 10-Danica Patrick, 14-Tony Stewart, 41-Kurt Busch
- Hendrick Motorsports: 5-Kasey Kahne, 24-Jeff Gordon, 48-Jimmie Johnson, 88-Dale Earnhardt Jr.
- Tommy Baldwin Racing: 7-Michael Annett (R), 36-Reed Sorenson
- Germain Racing: 13-Casey Mears
- JTG Daugherty Racing: 47-AJ Allmendinger
- HScott Motorsports: 51-Justin Allgaier (R), 52-Bobby Labonte
- Furniture Row Racing: 78-Martin Truex Jr.
- Phil Parsons Racing: 98-Josh Wise
- Team Penske: 2-Brad Keselowski, 22-Joey Logano
- Richard Petty Motorsports: 9-Marcos Ambrose, 43-Aric Almirola
- Roush Fenway Racing: 16-Greg Biffle, 17-Ricky Stenhouse Jr., 99-Carl Edwards
- Wood Brothers: 21-Trevor Bayne
- Go Fas Racing: 32-Terry Labonte
- Front Row Motorsports: 34-David Ragan, 35-Eric McClure, 38-David Gilliland
- Randy Humphrey Racing: 77-Dave Blaney
- Brian Keselowski Motorsports: 92-Brian Keselowski
- Leavine Family Racing: 95-Michael McDowell
- Joe Gibbs Racing: 11-Denny Hamlin, 18-Kyle Busch, 20-Matt Kenseth
- Michael Waltrip Racing: 15-Clint Bowyer, 55-Brian Vickers, 66-Michael Waltrip*, 87-Joe Nemechek*
- BK Racing: 23-Alex Bowman (R), 83-Ryan Truex (R), 93-Morgan Shepherd**
- Swan Racing: 26-Cole Whitt (R), 30-Parker Kligerman (R)
*Denotes that Waltrip and Nemechek will be sharing No. 66 in MWR/Jay Robinson Racing partnership for the remainder of the season. Nemechek is expected to qualify for the Daytona 500 in his own No. 87 Toyota.
**Shepherd’s No. 93 is from BK Racing, but not run by the team.
There are at least two other cars that could be added to the above entries. Landon Cassill, who has been reported to return with Circle Sport Racing, would have to qualify in the team’s No. 40 Chevrolet with Brian Scott of RCR using No. 33 for the 500. Meanwhlile J.J. Yeley wrote on his Facebook page he has a confirmed Cup ride, but said details would need to wait.
We’re looking at roughly between 48 to 51 cars attempting to qualify for the 43 spots in this year’s Daytona 500. The official entry list should be out late next week, as Daytona Speedweeks begins.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The next generation of stock car racing’s fabled Alabama Gang has now officially arrived.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:49 PM EDT
Chase Pistone tops Practice 1, while Brendan Gaughan is fastest in Practice 2 for tomorrow night’s Nationwide Series race.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
The Sprint Cup championship leader admits that his back may never “be the same” after suffering spasms in May at Charlotte.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:11 PM EDT
Townley has been released from a local hospital after a hard wreck in ARCA qualifying this morning, but he will not race in tomorrow’s Pocono Mountains 150 for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Will the 11 team adapt to interim crew chief Mike Wheeler? Plus, Kyle Petty shares his Victory Lane predictions for Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono.
Aug 1, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
One year ago, Kahne effectively put himself into the Chase with a win at Pocono. Another win on Sunday at the Tricky Triangle could do it again.
Aug 1, 2014, 5:12 PM EDT
Is his first career Sprint Cup win not too far off? Larson’s lap of 183.438 mph is enough to earn pole position for Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.
Aug 1, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Coming up today: Kasey Kahne on his hunt for a Chase-clinching win; expectations for Denny Hamlin’s interim crew chief; Dale Jr. and IndyCar’s Graham Rahal visit National Guard soldiers; the many nuances of Pocono Raceway; Ty Dillon looks back on an extraordinary weekend at Indy.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
Larson and Peters go 1-2 in the first Truck practice, then flip-flop in the second practice at Pocono.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Former Pocono winner Kyle Petty explains the aspects that set Pocono apart from the rest of NASCAR’s tracks.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
Toronto winner leads second practice for the Verizon IndyCar Series on Friday.
Aug 1, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Kenseth’s teammate, Denny Hamlin, does not have regular crew chief Darian Grubb behind him this weekend, as Grubb has begun serving his six-race suspension.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
In the final part of our 2014 mid-season review, we look at the storylines that have defined the season so far and take a look at what we may be talking about come the end of the year.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Ives has won multiple Sprint Cup titles as an engineer for Jimmie Johnson, but will be making his Cup debut as a crew chief when he joins forces with Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season.
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
NASCAR drivers are known for trading paint, spinning out rivals and are seemingly always ready for a fight. And those are just some of the same elements that NASCAR drivers share with CEO’s of some of the best middle-market companies, according to a new story.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Busch posts a lap of 180.353 mph around the 2.5-mile Tricky Triangle.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Much like a frequent flier or frequent hotel guest program, JTG Daugherty has created the first ‘rewards program’ for fans to earn awards and prizes using engagement with the team and its sponsors through social media.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
In part two of our mid-season report, we look at the drivers: who has excelled and who has floundered in 2014?
Aug 1, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Multi-motorsports team owner Chip Ganassi will be honored August 7 in Corning, N.Y., for more than a quarter-century of contributions to the auto racing world.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Austin Dillon isn’t skating through his rookie season in Sprint Cup. Everything he achieves, he earns. But Dillon did try skating of a different kind and took to it like a natural.