Feb 8, 2014, 11:45 AM EST
Red Bull Volkswagen Motorsport is two-for-two in the 2014 FIA World Rally Championship season, as Jari-Matti Latvala has taken the Rally Sweden victory on Saturday. Teammate Sebastien Ogier won the Rally Monte Carlo opener last month.
Latvala took the win over VW’s third driver Andreas Mikkelsen by 53.6 seconds. Mikkelsen threatened the lead but made a mistake in a snowbank on Saturday morning.
Mads Ostberg led the Citroen contingent in third place, ahead of a pair of Fords driven by Mikko Hirvonen and Ott Tanak.
Of note, Ogier finished sixth and Robert Kubica failed to score once again.
The win is Latvala’s third at Sweden and moves him into the championship standings lead; he finished fifth in Monte Carlo.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2