Feb 8, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Red Bull Volkswagen Motorsport is two-for-two in the 2014 FIA World Rally Championship season, as Jari-Matti Latvala has taken the Rally Sweden victory on Saturday. Teammate Sebastien Ogier won the Rally Monte Carlo opener last month.
Latvala took the win over VW’s third driver Andreas Mikkelsen by 53.6 seconds. Mikkelsen threatened the lead but made a mistake in a snowbank on Saturday morning.
Mads Ostberg led the Citroen contingent in third place, ahead of a pair of Fords driven by Mikko Hirvonen and Ott Tanak.
Of note, Ogier finished sixth and Robert Kubica failed to score once again.
The win is Latvala’s third at Sweden and moves him into the championship standings lead; he finished fifth in Monte Carlo.
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (6)