Feb 8, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Red Bull Volkswagen Motorsport is two-for-two in the 2014 FIA World Rally Championship season, as Jari-Matti Latvala has taken the Rally Sweden victory on Saturday. Teammate Sebastien Ogier won the Rally Monte Carlo opener last month.
Latvala took the win over VW’s third driver Andreas Mikkelsen by 53.6 seconds. Mikkelsen threatened the lead but made a mistake in a snowbank on Saturday morning.
Mads Ostberg led the Citroen contingent in third place, ahead of a pair of Fords driven by Mikko Hirvonen and Ott Tanak.
Of note, Ogier finished sixth and Robert Kubica failed to score once again.
The win is Latvala’s third at Sweden and moves him into the championship standings lead; he finished fifth in Monte Carlo.
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 0
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 1
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 1
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9