Feb 9, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
Heading into Sunday’s final eliminations of the NHRA season-opening Circle K Winternationals in Pomona, Calif., the overall weekend has shaped up thus far to be one for the ladies.
On Saturday, Alexis DeJoria became the first female driver in NHRA Funny Car history to cover the 1,000-foot dragstrip in under four seconds.
Driving her Patron Spirits-sponsored Toyota-powered Funny Car, DeJoria, 36, turned in an elapsed time of 3.997 seconds at 318.32 mph at Auto Club Raceway, good for third-place for Sunday’s final eliminations.
Another female racer, Brittany Force – daughter of NHRA Funny Car legend John Force – recorded a career-best pass of 3.778 seconds at 326.24 mph in her Top Fuel dragster, putting her eighth for Sunday’s eliminations.
Check out the video of DeJoria’s record-setting run below (courtesy of NHRA):
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2