Feb 9, 2014, 2:41 PM EDT
Heading into Sunday’s final eliminations of the NHRA season-opening Circle K Winternationals in Pomona, Calif., the overall weekend has shaped up thus far to be one for the ladies.
On Saturday, Alexis DeJoria became the first female driver in NHRA Funny Car history to cover the 1,000-foot dragstrip in under four seconds.
Driving her Patron Spirits-sponsored Toyota-powered Funny Car, DeJoria, 36, turned in an elapsed time of 3.997 seconds at 318.32 mph at Auto Club Raceway, good for third-place for Sunday’s final eliminations.
Another female racer, Brittany Force – daughter of NHRA Funny Car legend John Force – recorded a career-best pass of 3.778 seconds at 326.24 mph in her Top Fuel dragster, putting her eighth for Sunday’s eliminations.
Check out the video of DeJoria’s record-setting run below (courtesy of NHRA):
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 0
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- FIA WEC: Mark Webber preparing for possible wet WEC debut 1
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)