Feb 9, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Heading into Sunday’s final eliminations of the NHRA season-opening Circle K Winternationals in Pomona, Calif., the overall weekend has shaped up thus far to be one for the ladies.
On Saturday, Alexis DeJoria became the first female driver in NHRA Funny Car history to cover the 1,000-foot dragstrip in under four seconds.
Driving her Patron Spirits-sponsored Toyota-powered Funny Car, DeJoria, 36, turned in an elapsed time of 3.997 seconds at 318.32 mph at Auto Club Raceway, good for third-place for Sunday’s final eliminations.
Another female racer, Brittany Force – daughter of NHRA Funny Car legend John Force – recorded a career-best pass of 3.778 seconds at 326.24 mph in her Top Fuel dragster, putting her eighth for Sunday’s eliminations.
Check out the video of DeJoria’s record-setting run below (courtesy of NHRA):
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3
- Fernando Alonso thanks fans for support following crash 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Thursday 0