Feb 9, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Sometimes the most outrageous things occur at the most unexpected times.
NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps was minding his own business, just motoring along on what should have been another routine qualifying pass Friday at the season-opening Circle K Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, Calif., when he experienced every Funny Car driver’s worst nightmare:
A motor explosion — and resulting fire.
The explosion blew off the entire top of Capps’ NAPA Funny Car, but thanks to NHRA’s fire suppression safety features built into race cars, the blaze was fairly short-lived.
Fortunately, the veteran driver was unhurt.
Check out video of the explosion, courtesy of the NHRA, from a number of different angles:
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 1
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0
- Chase-eligible teams – but not drivers – allowed at Homestead tire test 3
- Q&A: Kevin Healy on Milwaukee IndyFest activation heading into Wisconsin State Fair 0
- Report: Ecclestone says no to standing restarts in 2015 4