Feb 9, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Sometimes the most outrageous things occur at the most unexpected times.
NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps was minding his own business, just motoring along on what should have been another routine qualifying pass Friday at the season-opening Circle K Winternationals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, Calif., when he experienced every Funny Car driver’s worst nightmare:
A motor explosion — and resulting fire.
The explosion blew off the entire top of Capps’ NAPA Funny Car, but thanks to NHRA’s fire suppression safety features built into race cars, the blaze was fairly short-lived.
Fortunately, the veteran driver was unhurt.
Check out video of the explosion, courtesy of the NHRA, from a number of different angles:
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2