Feb 11, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
It’s one down, one to go for IndyCar team owner Bobby Rahal – maybe.
Now that he’s secured full-time National Guard sponsorship for son Graham’s No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing ride for the upcoming IndyCar season, the elder Rahal has turned his sights on finding sponsorship – and a driver – for the No. 16 car in the team’s stable.
That is, if there will even be a second RLLR car for the 2014 IndyCar season.
“First off, we don’t have the funding in place to run the second car,” Rahal told RACER.com. “We have some (funding), but it’s a long way from being able to run the season in its entirely.
“For us, we’ve got a number of prospective sponsors that have shown interest, and until they commit, we’re in a wait-and-see mode. We also have some drivers that are interested, and I continue to talk with drivers who reach out every week to see what it would take to run with us next to Graham.”
Who will potentially drive the second RLLR car — if indeed there is one — remains to be seen. Names that have been bantered around in various media reports include Oriol Servia, Conor Daly, JR Hildebrand and Alex Tagliani.
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 0
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 0
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 1
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 1
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 3