Feb 11, 2014, 3:33 PM EST
It’s one down, one to go for IndyCar team owner Bobby Rahal – maybe.
Now that he’s secured full-time National Guard sponsorship for son Graham’s No. 15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing ride for the upcoming IndyCar season, the elder Rahal has turned his sights on finding sponsorship – and a driver – for the No. 16 car in the team’s stable.
That is, if there will even be a second RLLR car for the 2014 IndyCar season.
“First off, we don’t have the funding in place to run the second car,” Rahal told RACER.com. “We have some (funding), but it’s a long way from being able to run the season in its entirely.
“For us, we’ve got a number of prospective sponsors that have shown interest, and until they commit, we’re in a wait-and-see mode. We also have some drivers that are interested, and I continue to talk with drivers who reach out every week to see what it would take to run with us next to Graham.”
Who will potentially drive the second RLLR car — if indeed there is one — remains to be seen. Names that have been bantered around in various media reports include Oriol Servia, Conor Daly, JR Hildebrand and Alex Tagliani.
Video from NASCAR America
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 1
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 1
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 3
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 8
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0
- McLaren reveals Honda-powered MP4-30 for 2015 F1 season 2