Feb 11, 2014, 1:55 PM EST
We’ve written before of the medical insight offered by former FIA Chief Medical Delegate Gary Hartstein about the recovery process for seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher.
He’s written several times on his blog since the Dec. 29 skiing accident that has left Schumacher hospitalized in Grenoble with a coma, starting with the day after the accident.
Hartstein is not active at the scene, but writing based on past experience and insights from his own medical career. The recent “silence” that has taken place over the last couple weeks is, in his estimation, a little disconcerting.
A report from the German Bild has said Schumacher was not responding to stimuli, but the report has not been confirmed by either Schumacher’s PR team or the medical team on site.
Hartstein offered his interpretation of that thusly, on his blog:
IF what Bild says is true (and I looked on their site summarily, but didn’t see where this was said), we need to figure out what they meant by “no reaction to external stimulus”. If there is no response at all to painful stimulation, not even archaic stereotypical responses organised deep within ancient parts of the brain, then this is very bad news indeed.
His upshot is that this is “not good.” The medical analysis he provides though, is still very good and very much worth a read.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)