Feb 12, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
There could be a crowd-funded effort in this year’s Indianapolis 500, if Cutters Race Team’s two principles, Travis Tetrault and Jason Godby, gather enough fan interest to support the run.
“The People’s Race Car,” under the CuttersRT name, has a $1 million goal established. Each fan who pays $100 to become a sponsor would have his or her name on the car, with the target of 10,000 fans to meet that financial goal.
Names of individuals, rather than corporations, would be the only ones that appear on the car.
“The only way we could figure out how to do that was be a part of the big race and go out there with the corporations and sponsor a car,” Tetrault said, via NBC Indianapolis affiliate WTHR 13.
If the goal is met, Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing would operate the car at the Speedway.
Important to note though, the CuttersRT effort is independent of being an SFHR program, and is also independent of SFHR’s second car, run in one race each of the last two years by RW (Rotondo Weirich) Motorsports’ Steve Weirich.
Weirich is still a team partner, and the team will release more regarding his specific involvement this year at a later date.
The car could still run with corporate sponsors if the all-fan target amount is not met. More information can be found at cuttersrt.com and the group’s social media platforms.
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 0
- Kevin Harvick is halfway leader in Sunday’s Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas 0
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)