Feb 12, 2014, 1:12 PM EST
Sebastian Saavedra has been confirmed for KV Racing’s second IndyCar for the 2014 season. The Colombian will drive the No. 17 AFS-backed KV AFS Racing Chevrolet, and for a second straight year, be teammates with Sebastien Bourdais.
KV Racing, run by Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser, have joined forces with Gary Peterson’s AFS group to make the entry. Vasser said the engineering lineup are confirmed and will be released at a later time.
“I’m very excited to be honest,” Saavedra said. “It’s very important to have some sort of relationship with teammates last year. We get to work together, find out what we like, and joining forces again with a great team with a history, and the mentality of securing the Indy 500 last year is even more motivation. Having the tools, the energy, will help.”
Bourdais and Saavedra were teammates at Dragon Racing in 2013, but Dragon will not return to IndyCar on a full-time basis in 2014. The only confirmed program for Jay Penske’s organization in 2014 is the team’s FIA Formula E Championship effort.
Saavedra and Peterson have worked together on two prior occasions. When the Colombian first entered Indy Lights in 2009, he was in an AFS/Andretti Green Racing entry. Additionally, when he stepped back down to Indy Lights in 2012, it was with Peterson’s support in a then-AFS/Andretti Autosport car. He made three IndyCar starts in 2012, both 500-mile races at Indianapolis and Fontana and the road race at Sonoma.
Colombia now has its third confirmed driver on the 2014 IndyCar grid, as Saavedra joins his old Indy Lights teammate Carlos Munoz and Juan Pablo Montoya in the field.
Vasser added during the conference call held Wednesday that the team has “real good” chances of running a third car for the Indianapolis 500, for a veteran male or female driver.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3