Sam Hornish Jr. looks forward to new start with Joe Gibbs Racing

Feb 13, 2014, 1:36 AM EDT

Indiana 250 - Practice Getty Images

After battling Austin Dillon for last season’s Nationwide Series championship, Sam Hornish Jr. ultimately fell short by a mere three points.

Dillon won the title and got a promotion to Sprint Cup for 2014.

Hornish, however, was essentially laid-off from Penske Racing when enough sponsorship dollars couldn’t be found to keep his NNS team going for 2014.

But rather than mope or throw a pity party, the 34-year-old Hornish will indeed be racing in 2014, driving in at least seven NNS races as he and Kyle Busch team up to share a ride in the Joe Gibbs Racing-owned No. 54 NNS Toyota.

It’s not a full-time ride, but Hornish feels fortunate he has another job and he’s still racing.

Even with the departure from the Penske organization after a decade-long association that included one of his three IndyCar championships and a victory in the 2006 Indianapolis 500, Hornish holds no grudges – even though some uninformed critics felt otherwise.

“Cleaning up my office (at Penske Racing) and packing up all the stuff, it felt weird,” Hornish told MotorSportsTalk. “There were some people that expressed a little bit of bitterness towards me about it, but I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t quit. I didn’t have a job anymore. What do you want me to do?’

“It’s just like anything else in life, you’re never going to make everybody happy. I’m proud of the decade-long relationship with Penske Racing and Roger, and I hope that no matter what happens throughout as the future goes, I can always say that not only was he my boss but he was my friend as well.”

While Hornish could have stayed on with Penske in a different capacity, perhaps as a test driver or another role, when the JGR offer came up, he had to take it.

“I told Roger from the get-go that I was going to do this,” Hornish said. “I told him, ‘I hope you understand where I’m at and all those things.’ After we had an opportunity to talk about it, I feel like he felt much better about it.”

While this will essentially put him back to square one by racing a part-time schedule, Hornish is okay with that. The key is just to be back behind the wheel.

He also hasn’t given up on his hopes to return to a full-time ride in Sprint Cup some day.

“I want to be successful and I want to run up towards the front of no matter what I do,” he said. “I’m really excited to get into a JGR car, starting out on the Nationwide side.

“I want to go Cup racing in the future, but I’m only going to do that if I think that it’s with an organization I can run in the top-15 regularly. That means I want to do it with someone I can hopefully get into the Chase with. There are a lot of things that can bias that, but I know that being with an organization like JGR that has great sponsors that tend to be on the car year in and year out, to be with a company like Monster Energy and what they’re brand is … this is the right place for me.”

Hornish will start with seven races in the No. 54 Toyota and see where things go. His first race tentatively isn’t until April 25 at Richmond.

Even though that may seem like a long time, Hornish looks on the bright side. When asked about how he thinks NASCAR’s new qualifying format will play out, Hornish said with a laugh, “The great part about my job is this year is I’ve got eight weeks to watch everybody else do it and screw it up, and hopefully I’ll get it right.”

Until then, he’ll continue to immerse himself in the JGR culture and way of doing things, while also enjoying the latest addition to his family. After two daughters, Hornish and wife Crystal welcomed son Samuel III into the world on Feb. 8.

With Juan Pablo Montoya‘s decision to return to Indy cars after a seven-season stint in NASCAR, as well as Cup drivers Kurt Busch and AJ Allmendinger planning to compete in this year’s Indianapolis 500, Hornish was asked whether he’d ever consider going back to the open-wheel world.

After all, he experienced a much greater level of success in sleek Indy cars – three championships and a win in the 2006 Indianapolis 500 – than he has in NASCAR stock car racing.

Hornish quickly downplays the possibility.

“The last time I had serious thoughts about it was in 2011,” Hornish said. “That ended after about the fifth lap at the Las Vegas race (when his friend Dan Wheldon was killed in a horrific wreck) and I haven’t thought much about it since then.”

Plus, there’d be very little to gain for Hornish to return to IndyCar.

“I feel like I accomplished everything I wanted to over there,” Hornish said. “There was a reason I left. The reason wasn’t monetary, it was a challenge (in NASCAR). Yeah, there might be more of a challenge going back there now because I’ve been out of it for seven years.

“I just feel like what would be the point to where you could possibly tarnish a career that you won in almost 20 percent of the events you ran and won half the full-time championships that you ran when you focused on it.

“And then you look at the safety fact of it, too. I got a lot of people that I need to take care of in my life, and racing in general for me is probably a little bit of a selfish thing because I probably don’t need to do it, but I want to. So, I have to sit back and think about as far as my family life goes, everything worked out exactly the way it needed to for this year.”

There’s one other thing, as well.

Even when he was tearing up the IndyCar circuit, Hornish admits he never felt he got the respect he deserved.

“When I started racing over there, (people said) ‘You’re not good enough.’ When I won the championship (people said), ‘You didn’t have any competition. Wait till Penske comes along.’ You went with Penske (and people said), ‘Well, that wasn’t enough competition, wait for Ganassi.’ Okay, you almost won again, now it’s about the road courses. Okay, you won a championship with the road courses and you won the Indy 500, now what’s the challenge anymore?”

In a sense, Hornish has found a sense of peace in NASCAR that he didn’t have in Indy cars. And now with the new opportunity with JGR, there’s no looking back or lamenting on what was or what might have been.

“After everything gets calmed down for a couple months, I’m going to go racing,” he said. “It’s a weird thing to say, but it’s all happening kind of for the right reason.

“Call it divine intervention or just the way things worked out, or maybe in my mind I worked things to be able to get myself into this position. I want to be out there racing more, but I’m okay with where I’m at, too.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR: This time at Indy, it’s just stock cars for Kurt Busch

Jul 22, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

(Photo: Scott Halleran/Getty Images) Getty Images

The Outlaw returns to Indianapolis for the first time since his Indy 500-Coke 600 double back in May.

2. IndyCar: Want Juan Pablo Montoya’s penthouse? It’ll cost you – a lot

Jul 22, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

montoya3 Getty Images

The Team Penske pilot is putting up his six-bedroom Miami penthouse for a cool $14 million. Better start saving up…

3. NASCAR: Roush camp looking for speed in Michigan test

Jul 22, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT

AAA Texas 500 Getty Images

Seeking to catch up with their Ford stablemates at Team Penske, Roush Fenway Racing’s trio of Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, and Ricky Stenhouse Jr. have been searching for speed in a two-day test session at Michigan International Speedway.

4. Indy’s new scoring pylon is quite colorful (PHOTOS)

Jul 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway Credit: Indianapolis Motor Speedway

The new, 92-foot pylon is made up of four LED panels capable of video animations that relay race info to fans.

5. MRTI: Cape’s Toronto sweep; Burkett’s latest videos; other odds and ends

Jul 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

MazdaRoadToIndy

Recapping the future stars of IndyCar in action at Toronto this weekend.

6. Report: Mexican Grand Prix set for 2015 return?

Jul 22, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT

Grand Premio Tecate Getty Images

A report from Mexico says that Bernie Ecclestone has signed a five-year pact to bring F1 to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez starting next season.

7. IndyCar: Hinchcliffe continues to endure home race house of horrors

Jul 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

HinchTOR3 Getty Images

A miserable home weekend in Toronto strikes James Hinchcliffe yet again.

8. Claire Williams gives vote of confidence for Felipe Massa

Jul 22, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of China - Practice Getty Images

Williams’ deputy team principal on Massa: “He is mature enough – and has enough experience in the sport – to realize that sometimes, things don’t go your way.”

9. Realistically, could Toronto IndyCar shift date to CTMP?

Jul 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

CTMPWide Getty Images

Given politics, dates and dreams, could an IndyCar race at CTMP be possible?

10. Formula E: Jerome d’Ambrosio confirmed with Dragon Racing

Jul 22, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

JDAFE Getty Images

Ex-F1 shoe Jerome d’Ambrosio gets signed up for new FE series.

11. Kyle Larson, Scott Dixon, Tony Kanaan featured in Cottonelle ads (VIDEO)

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

LarsonCottonelle Getty Images

Kyle Larson’s got a new house, a new kid on the way and now a new Cottonelle ad he might not be able to live down.

12. Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale

Jul 22, 2014, 10:08 AM EDT

Spanish F1 Grand Prix - Practice Getty Images

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff calls double points “unfair.”

13. IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations

Jul 22, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT

TorontoAnalysis Getty Images

MST’s Tony DiZinno recaps the weekend in Toronto, that featured a host of surprises.

14. IndyCar: Gaps grow, but few major changes in points over last month

Jul 22, 2014, 8:26 AM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

The stretch of six races in four weekends is over, as is the stretch of doubleheader weekends for the 2014 Verizon IndyCar Series season. Here’s the points breakdown.

15. Chase Elliott keeps winning, but he’s not finished capturing checkered flags this season by any stretch

Jul 22, 2014, 1:38 AM EDT

Chase Elliott after Saturday's win at Chicagoland Speedway. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh) AP

With the third win of his rookie Nationwide Series career, Chase Elliott continued to make it look easy in this past Saturday night’s EnjoyIllinois.com 300 at Chicagoland Speedway.

16. NASCAR: Bubba Wallace prepares for Eldora’s “Mudsummer Classic” (VIDEO)

Jul 21, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT

(Photo: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images) Getty Images

For Wallace and his Truck Series rivals, racing on dirt presents a different set of challenges – and thus requires a different way to train.

17. NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary”

Jul 21, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Brian France AP

In a satellite radio interview, France shared his thoughts on the consortium of NASCAR’s most powerful teams.

18. IMSA: IndyCar rookie Hawksworth to make sports car debut in Brickyard GP

Jul 21, 2014, 6:02 PM EDT

Jack Hawksworth AP

Jack Hawksworth will co-drive the No. 08 Prototype Challenge car for RSR Racing in Friday’s IMSA event on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course.

19. Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate

Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Will the 16th time be the charm for Tony Stewart in Sunday's Daytona 500? Getty Images

Between his Eldora Speedway hosting the Truck Series and then competing at Indianapolis this weekend in Sprint Cup, Stewart’s in the middle of a busy week.

20. Everything you need to know for Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indy

Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya AP

All the notes and numbers to keep in mind for NASCAR’s visit to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.