Sam Hornish Jr. looks forward to new start with Joe Gibbs Racing

Feb 13, 2014, 1:36 AM EDT

Indiana 250 - Practice Getty Images

After battling Austin Dillon for last season’s Nationwide Series championship, Sam Hornish Jr. ultimately fell short by a mere three points.

Dillon won the title and got a promotion to Sprint Cup for 2014.

Hornish, however, was essentially laid-off from Penske Racing when enough sponsorship dollars couldn’t be found to keep his NNS team going for 2014.

But rather than mope or throw a pity party, the 34-year-old Hornish will indeed be racing in 2014, driving in at least seven NNS races as he and Kyle Busch team up to share a ride in the Joe Gibbs Racing-owned No. 54 NNS Toyota.

It’s not a full-time ride, but Hornish feels fortunate he has another job and he’s still racing.

Even with the departure from the Penske organization after a decade-long association that included one of his three IndyCar championships and a victory in the 2006 Indianapolis 500, Hornish holds no grudges – even though some uninformed critics felt otherwise.

“Cleaning up my office (at Penske Racing) and packing up all the stuff, it felt weird,” Hornish told MotorSportsTalk. “There were some people that expressed a little bit of bitterness towards me about it, but I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t quit. I didn’t have a job anymore. What do you want me to do?’

“It’s just like anything else in life, you’re never going to make everybody happy. I’m proud of the decade-long relationship with Penske Racing and Roger, and I hope that no matter what happens throughout as the future goes, I can always say that not only was he my boss but he was my friend as well.”

While Hornish could have stayed on with Penske in a different capacity, perhaps as a test driver or another role, when the JGR offer came up, he had to take it.

“I told Roger from the get-go that I was going to do this,” Hornish said. “I told him, ‘I hope you understand where I’m at and all those things.’ After we had an opportunity to talk about it, I feel like he felt much better about it.”

While this will essentially put him back to square one by racing a part-time schedule, Hornish is okay with that. The key is just to be back behind the wheel.

He also hasn’t given up on his hopes to return to a full-time ride in Sprint Cup some day.

“I want to be successful and I want to run up towards the front of no matter what I do,” he said. “I’m really excited to get into a JGR car, starting out on the Nationwide side.

“I want to go Cup racing in the future, but I’m only going to do that if I think that it’s with an organization I can run in the top-15 regularly. That means I want to do it with someone I can hopefully get into the Chase with. There are a lot of things that can bias that, but I know that being with an organization like JGR that has great sponsors that tend to be on the car year in and year out, to be with a company like Monster Energy and what they’re brand is … this is the right place for me.”

Hornish will start with seven races in the No. 54 Toyota and see where things go. His first race tentatively isn’t until April 25 at Richmond.

Even though that may seem like a long time, Hornish looks on the bright side. When asked about how he thinks NASCAR’s new qualifying format will play out, Hornish said with a laugh, “The great part about my job is this year is I’ve got eight weeks to watch everybody else do it and screw it up, and hopefully I’ll get it right.”

Until then, he’ll continue to immerse himself in the JGR culture and way of doing things, while also enjoying the latest addition to his family. After two daughters, Hornish and wife Crystal welcomed son Samuel III into the world on Feb. 8.

With Juan Pablo Montoya‘s decision to return to Indy cars after a seven-season stint in NASCAR, as well as Cup drivers Kurt Busch and AJ Allmendinger planning to compete in this year’s Indianapolis 500, Hornish was asked whether he’d ever consider going back to the open-wheel world.

After all, he experienced a much greater level of success in sleek Indy cars – three championships and a win in the 2006 Indianapolis 500 – than he has in NASCAR stock car racing.

Hornish quickly downplays the possibility.

“The last time I had serious thoughts about it was in 2011,” Hornish said. “That ended after about the fifth lap at the Las Vegas race (when his friend Dan Wheldon was killed in a horrific wreck) and I haven’t thought much about it since then.”

Plus, there’d be very little to gain for Hornish to return to IndyCar.

“I feel like I accomplished everything I wanted to over there,” Hornish said. “There was a reason I left. The reason wasn’t monetary, it was a challenge (in NASCAR). Yeah, there might be more of a challenge going back there now because I’ve been out of it for seven years.

“I just feel like what would be the point to where you could possibly tarnish a career that you won in almost 20 percent of the events you ran and won half the full-time championships that you ran when you focused on it.

“And then you look at the safety fact of it, too. I got a lot of people that I need to take care of in my life, and racing in general for me is probably a little bit of a selfish thing because I probably don’t need to do it, but I want to. So, I have to sit back and think about as far as my family life goes, everything worked out exactly the way it needed to for this year.”

There’s one other thing, as well.

Even when he was tearing up the IndyCar circuit, Hornish admits he never felt he got the respect he deserved.

“When I started racing over there, (people said) ‘You’re not good enough.’ When I won the championship (people said), ‘You didn’t have any competition. Wait till Penske comes along.’ You went with Penske (and people said), ‘Well, that wasn’t enough competition, wait for Ganassi.’ Okay, you almost won again, now it’s about the road courses. Okay, you won a championship with the road courses and you won the Indy 500, now what’s the challenge anymore?”

In a sense, Hornish has found a sense of peace in NASCAR that he didn’t have in Indy cars. And now with the new opportunity with JGR, there’s no looking back or lamenting on what was or what might have been.

“After everything gets calmed down for a couple months, I’m going to go racing,” he said. “It’s a weird thing to say, but it’s all happening kind of for the right reason.

“Call it divine intervention or just the way things worked out, or maybe in my mind I worked things to be able to get myself into this position. I want to be out there racing more, but I’m okay with where I’m at, too.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. The Rolling Stones hit IMS on Saturday, so here’s an IndyCar-inspired set list

Jul 2, 2015, 12:26 PM EDT

StonesIMS Getty Images

What if The Rolling Stones’ concert set list at IMS was specifically inspired by recent IndyCar events? We ponder the possibilities.

2. Vandoorne in regular talks with McLaren about future

Jul 2, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT

Belgian driver Stoffel Vandoorne holds his trophy as he celebrates after winning the GP2 series race at the Monaco street circuit in Monte-Carlo on May 22, 2015. AFP PHOTO / ANDREJ ISAKOVIC        (Photo credit should read ANDREJ ISAKOVIC/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

Could the Belgian be racing in Formula 1 next season?

3. Several stats, streaks or droughts of note leaving Fontana

Jul 2, 2015, 10:44 AM EDT

IndyPostACSstats Getty Images

A Power outage, JPM and Marco’s quiet rolls, and other IndyCar nuggets of note leaving Fontana.

4. GP2: Rowland, Cecotto, Lancaster, Canamasas all in for Silverstone round

Jul 2, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT

© GP2 Series © GP2 Series

Four driver changes ahead of this weekend’s round at Silverstone.

5. 2015 British Grand Prix Preview

Jul 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

150702_LewisHamilton Getty Images

Can Lewis Hamilton make it a homecoming to remember by scoring his third British Grand Prix victory at Silverstone?

6. Mark Miles: “We are not going to have a five-month season” in 2016

Jul 1, 2015, 5:53 PM EDT

Mark Miles Mark Miles

The CEO of IndyCar discussed the challenges of putting together an extended series schedule.

7. Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra

Jul 1, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT

BritishGPtv Getty Images

TV times across the board for this weekend’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

8. Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments

Jul 1, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

will power fontana 2015 getty Getty Images

Could penalties be coming to drivers who speak out about IndyCar’s on-track product? Mark Miles flips some pancakes on the possibility.

9. IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana

Jul 1, 2015, 4:03 PM EDT

California Speedway Getty Images

Will Power fined, put on probation after shoving safety official during Saturday’s race.

10. NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor

Jul 1, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT

tom compton retires from nhra -- getty Getty Images

In a surprise move, the NHRA announced Wednesday that president Tom Compton has retired after 15 years as the sanctioning body’s chief executive officer

11. Pikes Peak International Hill Climb results under review

Jul 1, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

RHYS MILLEN RHYS MILLEN

The provisional winner of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb is Rhys Millen.

12. Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’

Jul 1, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

The CFH Racing co-owner says IndyCar will never grow if “we’re tearing it apart from the inside out.”

13. Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting”

Jul 1, 2015, 11:02 AM EDT

HawkTMS Getty Images

One of A.J. Foyt’s young drivers makes some wiser points beyond his years about Saturday’s race in Fontana.

14. Royal Purple, Manpower to Horsepower program to be featured in Red Bull GRC this week

Jun 30, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

Photo: Manpower to Horsepower Photo: Manpower to Horsepower

Feature on Manpower to Horsepower to air during Red Bull GRC show this Sunday on NBC.

15. F1 and classic machinery at Goodwood, 2015, in photos

Jun 30, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT

McLaren Formula One driver and 2009 World champion Jenson Button prepares to drive the ex Ayrton Senna McLaren MP4. Photo; Getty Images Getty Images

A selection of images from the 2015 Goodwood Festival of Speed.

16. Red Bull GRC: SH Rallycross premieres patriotic HAUS livery for MCAS

Jun 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Photo: SH Rallycross Photo: SH Rallycross

SH Rallycross’ HAUS livery for Red Bull GRC this weekend screams red, white and blue.

17. Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming

Jun 30, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT

RahalWinGroup Getty Images

Given how well they’ve run this year, it was really only a matter of time until Graham Rahal and Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing won a race.

18. Report: Filippi, Brabham set for IndyCar oval tests

Jun 30, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Josef Newgarden, Luca Filippi AP

Luca Filippi and Matthew Brabham set for oval tests this Wednesday at Iowa Speedway.