Danica Patrick puts pressure on Ricky Stenhouse Jr. for memorable Valentine’s Day

Feb 13, 2014, 3:31 PM EST

Subway Fresh Fit 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

As a race car driver, Danica Patrick has big plans for Friday. She’ll take part in two practices as well as the drawing for the field for Saturday’s Sprint Unlimited.

But as for plans for afterward, Patrick has absolutely no clue.

We’re talking about Valentine’s Day plans, of course, with her boyfriend and fellow Sprint Cup driver Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

“I’m the girl, don’t ask me, ask Ricky,” Patrick said when asked about what she expects to do on the big V Day during Thursday’s Media Day at Daytona International Speedway.

But while she doesn’t have a clue what Stenhouse is planning, Patrick made sure she dropped a few hints in recent days.

“I did say to him yesterday, I said, ‘Hey, babe, I feel like I shouldn’t be thinking about this because it should be your job, but would you like me to ask someone to make reservations as a restaurant?’

“He said, ‘No, I’ll get it.  I’ll figure it out.  I’ll ask somebody here.’

“I’m like, ‘Okay, I’ll let you just do it.'”

Patrick said she expects to at least go out for a romantic dinner. Now the pressure is on Stenhouse to come up with a broader overall plan.

“I don’t know, I don’t know,” Patrick told reporters. “I think we’ll probably go to a restaurant.  I don’t know. You’ll have to ask him, though. Maybe he’ll tell you.”

Hopefully, this year’s Valentine’s Day will be a bit more, shall we say, pricier than the gifts the couple gave to each other last year, when their romance was just beginning to bloom.

“For our Valentine’s Day presents we both bought like $20 gifts for each other and paid like $100 in shipping because we did it last minute,” Patrick said. “He was telling me how he had it shipped and it wasn’t there.  I said, I did the last thing, actually.  He said (his gift) was more expensive.  I said, ‘Your gift was $22 and I paid $100 in shipping.  So that was our Valentine’s Day.”

Later in the day, Stenhouse downplayed if he’s feeling any pressure for this Valentine’s Day: “We went and ate dinner (last year), but she made the reservation.  I made reservations this year, so we’re good.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

1. bcsh8er - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

And this has what to do with racing? Let TMZ cover BS like this NBC.

• indycarseries500 - Feb 13, 2014 at 4:29 PM

It’s not about racing, advertisers, who pay for this site, like to see the amount of hits and judging by comments Danica articles get a lot more attention than every other ones so you can’t blame them for putting up more and more.

2. hatenapa - Feb 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM

As long as NAPA and Chase Elliott crashes every week, I’m good.

• indycar02 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:50 PM

how can anybody in their right mind hate someone that much.

3. givemethehighgear - Feb 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Ricky should get her driving lessons.

4. onbucky96 - Feb 14, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Right…I just threw up in my mouth. Get a room you two. And D.C., maybe, juuuuust maybe, win a race.

5. timaug - Feb 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM

RICKY IS GOING TO BUY HER A DVD.
    ” HOW TO DRIVE A NASCAR CUP CAR “.
    by Richard Petty.

• indycar02 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM

lol, good 1

6. ssj455 - Feb 14, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Maybe someone should put pressure on her to win more often.

• penskefan - Feb 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM

What do you mean more often? She does not even come close to winning at all.

7. penskefan - Feb 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

This is why Danica receives so much negative publicity. Who cares what a mediocre driver does on Valentine’s Day. Does any other driver even remotely receive this type of ludicrous publicity? Why doesn’t Motorsportstalk do an article on Jimmie Johnson for Valentine’s Day. He actually WINS races, and many of them.

8. cospgsmadman - Feb 14, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Hey Ricky, buy her a smaller bikini and take pics.
    Thanks,
    from the fellas

• indycar02 - Feb 19, 2014 at 6:55 PM

and have her get a HAIR CUT, what a mess.

9. mrsfoxxe - Feb 14, 2014 at 6:22 PM

Maybe she’s expecting a “ring”! If he does he’s stupid!

10. mrsfoxxe - Feb 14, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Don’t give her anything!

11. timaug - Feb 15, 2014 at 12:22 AM

Ricky wrote a poem for her.

We have such fun,
    we love to race.
    Please, sweetie pie,
    keep up the pace !

12. timaug - Feb 15, 2014 at 12:24 AM

ALL THES FANS OF DANICA,THAT ARE SO UPSET ABOUT PETTYS COMMENTS.
    NONE OF THEM WOULD BET RICHARD, $10.00 A WEEK, THAT DANICA WAS GOING TO WIN THE RACE.
    RICHARD IS RIGHT,,,,,,,,,,,,ABSOLUTELY !

13. pnicky2009 - Feb 15, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Maybe Ricky needs the driving lessons.She made it through the wreck,and then he took her out!

14. pnicky2009 - Feb 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Why would you speed up,when you can’t see anything?

• worknman24hours - Feb 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

You weren’t in the car.

You speed up because you are afraid some back marker trying to miss the wreck is coming right at the back of your car.

Ricky was just trying to sort the car out -AND -keep from getting run over and everything worked totally not in his or Danica’s favor.

I was gutted for Danica too but sometimes racing happens.

15. 1960cowboy - Feb 23, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Buy her a pair of slippers and a dildo and if she don’t like the slippers she can go screw herself….

Video from NASCAR America