Feb 13, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
2014 is already turning into quite a year for Michael Andretti.
On the competition side, the Andretti Autosport team did its full unveil of its open-wheel programs last month and acquired new sponsorship and engineering talent. It also revealed it will run a two-car, factory Volkswagen program in Red Bull Global Rallycross with Tanner Foust and Scott Speed.
Meanwhile, in late December 2013, its Andretti Sports Marketing arm confirmed it will run and promote the FIA Formula E race in Miami next season.
On the family side, Mario Andretti’s been honored by the National Motorsports Press Association Hall of Fame.
And now, Thursday, Michael’s a father once again. Wife Jodi gave birth to new twins Mario and Mia, both named after grandparents. Michael’s tweet is below.
@michaelandretti: Welcome baby Mario 5,8lbs and bay Mia(Miati) 5.3lbs! Both named after Gparents. Mom and babies doing gr8!
— Michael Andretti (@michaelandretti) February 13, 2014
And here’s an Instagram post from Marco Andretti:
We’re already projecting the next Mario Andretti will be in contention to win the 2042 Indianapolis 500, 75 years after the Mario Andretti won his first and thus far, the family’s only 500 as a driver.
And we have an update from the Mario, himself. The new Mario name was a surprise.
I knew the twins were arriving. The surprise was the phone call from @michaelandretti telling me that my new grandson has been named Mario
— Mario Andretti (@MarioAndretti) February 13, 2014
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0