Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Newgarden on IndyCar: “You’re not going to find better racing on the planet right now”

Aug 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

150804 newgarden Getty Images

Newgarden praises IndyCar series, its competitors; notes that new Rule 9.3.8 has been misunderstood.

2. DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans

Aug 4, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

MotorSportsTalk’s Tony DiZinno expands on one of IndyCar’s better weekends of late, from multiple aspects, at Mid-Ohio.

3. Honda’s IndyCar drivers attempt to fit inside the new Fit (VIDEO)

Aug 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Photo: Tony DiZinno Photo: Tony DiZinno

Watch as a double digit number of Honda IndyCar drivers attempt to fit inside the new Honda Fit.

4. IndyCar: Post-Mid-Ohio news and notes roundup

Aug 4, 2015, 10:43 AM EDT

WalkerNewsRoundup Getty Images

There was way more to the Mid-Ohio weekend than just the on-track product itself. Here’s a quick roundup.

5. Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together

Aug 4, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

IndySchedule16Hints Getty Images

With several race dates having already been announced, it’s time to play “piece it together” for the 2016 IndyCar schedule.

6. Dalziel, Alberico round out Mid-Ohio PWC, Pro Mazda winners

Aug 3, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT

Photo: Pro Mazda Photo: Pro Mazda

Quick recaps of the other two races at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course weekend from PWC and MRTI.

7. NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win

Aug 3, 2015, 12:24 AM EDT

(Photo courtesy NHRA) (Photo courtesy NHRA)

NHRA Funny Car driver “Fast Jack” Beckman may want to consider changing his nickname to “Faster Jack” because it doesn’t appear he’ll be slowing down anytime soon.

8. After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore

Aug 2, 2015, 9:47 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

Sunday’s win fulfilled a lifelong dream for Ohio-native Graham Rahal.

9. Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings

Aug 2, 2015, 6:14 PM EDT

Juan Pablo Montoya Juan Pablo Montoya

Montoyas 42-point lead over Rahal all but disappears in one race.

10. Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock

Aug 2, 2015, 5:56 PM EDT

150803_SageKaram Getty Images

Sage Karam in the crosshairs again after controversial Lap 66 spin at Mid-Ohio.

11. Justin Wilson finishes second at Mid-Ohio, best result in two years

Aug 2, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Wilson earns first podium finish since Houston in 2013.

12. Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 4:02 PM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Quick thinking from Rahal’s strategists allows the Ohio native to storm to his second win of the 2015 season and slice the gap to Montoya in the championship race.

13. Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio

Aug 2, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT

Castroneves

Castroneves led at halfway due to off-setting pit strategy.

14. Lynn hopes GP2 win has put him in running for F1 seat

Aug 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Series © GP2 Series

Alex Lynn has made an impression during his rookie GP2 season, but can he make the step up to F1 in 2016?

15. Dennis frustrated by lack of in-season testing in F1

Aug 2, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT

MONTREAL, QC - JUNE 06:  Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of McLaren Group Ron Dennis is seen during qualifying for the Canadian Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve on June 6, 2015 in Montreal, Canada.  (Photo by Clive Mason/Getty Images) Getty Images

McLaren’s CEO feels the reasons behind limiting in-season testing offer a “false economy”.

16. WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra

Aug 2, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Ryan Hunter-Reay AP

Watch live from Mid-Ohio ahead of the 14th round of the Verizon IndyCar Series season.

17. WRC: Latvala claims record-breaking win at Rally Finland

Aug 2, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Finnish Volkswagen Polo R WRC driver Jari-Matti Latvala and co-pilot Miikka Anttila drive during the Ouninpohja special stage of the  2015 FIA World Rally Championship WRC Rally Finland in Jyvaeskylae, Finland on July 31, 2015.  AFP PHOTO / LEHTIKUVA / Vesa Moilanen +++ FINLAND OUT        (Photo credit should read VESA MOILANEN/AFP/Getty Images) Getty Images

Latvala wins on home soil for the second time in the WRC with a record-breaking display.

18. What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra)

Aug 2, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio - Day 3 Getty Images

What to watch for ahead of Round 14 of the Verizon IndyCar Series season, the Honda Indy 200 from the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

19. Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out

Aug 2, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT

© INDYCAR © INDYCAR

Hunter-Reay finishes on top ahead of Helio Castroneves and Jack Hawksworth despite crashing his car.