Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EST

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NHRA: Brittany Force set for 2015 to be her year in Top Fuel

Dec 19, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography) Brittany Force. (Photos courtesy of Ron Lewis Photography)

Daughter of legendary Funny Car champ John Force, Brittany Force is out to prove that 2015 will be her year in NHRA Top Fuel racing.

2. Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test

Dec 19, 2014, 6:55 PM EST

mick schumacher jr.

Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., spent a recent testing day in a Formula 4 car, a possible prelude to following in his famous father’s footsteps.

3. Ganassi places faith in youngsters Kimball, Karam by putting them in No. 01 car

Dec 19, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

CGRdaytona Getty Images

Rare, intriguing call for CGR to put two lesser-experienced drivers in No. 01 car.

4. Williams recaps incredible 2014 campaign (VIDEO)

Dec 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PODIUM Getty Images

Williams’ stellar 2014 season, recapped in pictures and words.

5. Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 12 – Newman, Kenseth winless but still successful

Dec 19, 2014, 2:15 PM EST

Hollywood Casino 400 - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth proved that consistency still pays.

6. Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015

Dec 19, 2014, 1:49 PM EST

sprint cup logo

The fan-favorite Sprint Experience at NASCAR tracks across the country is apparently no longer, according to a media report.

7. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 18 Jamie McMurray

Dec 19, 2014, 1:30 PM EST

NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race Getty Images

McMurray shined at the All-Star Race in May but missed out on a 2014 Chase berth.

8. NASCAR: Top drivers of 2014 – No. 17 Kyle Larson

Dec 19, 2014, 12:57 PM EST

(David Becker/Getty Images) Getty Images

Kyle Larson had a tremendous rookie season in 2014. If he was that good this season, imagine how much better he’ll be next season and seasons to come.

9. Felipe Nasr goes with 12 for his F1 car number

Dec 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Brazil - Previews Getty Images

Felipe Nasr’s No. 12 rounds out the F1 grid number choices for 2015.

10. Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver

Dec 19, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

Canadian F1 Grand Prix - Previews Getty Images

Jean-Eric Vergne signs with Ferrari as a test and development driver, which means a bunch of simulator work.

11. RC Enerson confirmed for Indy Lights with Schmidt Peterson

Dec 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EST

IndyLights

RC Enerson moves up from USF2000 to Indy Lights.

12. NASCAR: Kid Rock to perform pre-race show at 2015 Daytona 500

Dec 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

2014 Louder Than Life Festival - Day 2 Getty Images

Multiplatinum artist to rock out before 2015 running of the Great American Race.

13. NASCAR Canadian Tire Series 2015 schedule released

Dec 18, 2014, 9:51 PM EST

Canadian tire series logo

It lasts only four months, but there’ll be lots of action on the schedule for the 2015 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series.

14. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. to do a little pre-Christmas dirt tracking Saturday in Illinois

Dec 18, 2014, 9:26 PM EST

(Tom Pennington/Getty Images) Getty Images

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. will be slinging some pre-Christmas dirt this Saturday in an all-star sprint car race in DuQuoin, Ill.

15. Kurt Busch sponsor supports him ‘110 percent’ in dispute with ex-girlfriend

Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 PM EST

(Jerry Markland/Getty Images) Getty Images

One of Kurt Busch’s sponsors has joined team owner Gene Haas in backing the driver in his ongoing dispute with ex-girlfriend Patricia Driscoll.

16. Have a good laugh: Check out NASCAR America’s 2014 blooper reel (video)

Dec 18, 2014, 6:31 PM EST

NASCAR America

Want to have a good laugh or two? Check out all of the bloopers and behind-the-scenes fun from NASCAR America over this past year.

17. NASCAR suspends Camping World Truck Series crew member

Dec 18, 2014, 6:18 PM EST

nascar logo 2014

NASCAR announced that a Camping World Truck Series crew member has been suspended for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.

18. WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN

Dec 18, 2014, 6:00 PM EST

ROA_Twitter_Promo

RoC, Mecum, and two F1 “Road To:” specials make for motors block on NBCSN tonight starting at 7 p.m. ET.

Video from NASCAR America