Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the United States GP

Oct 31, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

F1 US Grand Prix Auto Racing AP

Watch first practice from COTA live on Live Extra from 11a ET today.

2. NASCAR: Elliott Sadler jumping to Roush for 2015 XFINITY Series season

Oct 31, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Credit: Roush Fenway Racing Credit: Roush Fenway Racing

Former Sprint Cup veteran will bring his OneMain Financial sponsorship with him.

3. From GP3 to F1, it’s been quite a year for Daniil Kvyat

Oct 31, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia Getty Images

After just one year in F1, Kvyat will be replacing four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull next season. Not bad going!

4. Extreme Speed gearing up for overseas WEC debut

Oct 31, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports Photo: Extreme Speed Motorsports

Extreme Speed takes its HPDs to Shanghai for the FIA WEC race.

5. FIA confirms changes to qualifying format in Austin

Oct 31, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

Four cars will drop out in Q1 and Q2 to account for the absence of both Caterham and Marussia at COTA.

6. Grosjean reveals Lotus escape clause

Oct 30, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

GrosjeanAUS AP

Romain Grosjean can opt out of Lotus at year’s end if he so desires.

7. Button hit with five-place grid penalty for Austin

Oct 30, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-RUS Getty Images

British driver forced to change his gearbox for this weekend’s race at COTA.

8. Johnny Sauter is fastest in both Truck practices at Texas

Oct 30, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT

(Sean Gardner/Getty Images for Texas Motor Speedway) Getty Images

Johnny Sauter was fastest in both NASCAR Camping World Truck Series practices Thursday afternoon at Texas Motor Speedway.

9. NASCAR America video: Top five drivers to watch in Texas

Oct 30, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT

(Todd Warshaw/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

On Thursday’s NASCAR America, Rusty Wallace gave his top five drivers to watch in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at Texas. Rusty’s pick for the winner? Jeff Gordon.

10. Alonso speaks of “ambitious plan” for his racing future

Oct 30, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Spaniard says that his future is not his first priority, and that all of the events of the past few months have gone as planned.

11. NASCAR America video: Who has the best chance in Texas?

Oct 30, 2014, 5:58 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Eric Risberg) (AP Photo/Eric Risberg)

On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Rick Allen and Rusty Wallace discussed what are Carl Edwards’ and Jeff Gordon’s chances Sunday at Texas Motor Speedway.

12. Kaltenborn “beyond the stage of frustration” over F1’s cost crisis

Oct 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-SIN-F1 Getty Images

Sauber team boss has long warned about the problems blighting Formula 1.

13. Hamilton excited by F1’s profile and growth in the USA

Oct 30, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Valtteri Bottas, Lewis Hamilton AP

British driver speaks about his appearance on NBC’s TODAY Show and his trip to New York City.

14. Hamilton questions fairness of double points

Oct 30, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT

Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, Sebastian Vettel AP

Lewis Hamilton politely questions double points.

15. 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview

Oct 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Daniel Ricciardo, Lewis Hamilton AP

As the end of the 2014 Formula 1 season draws near, the sport ventures to the United States for one of the most popular races of the year in Austin, Texas.

16. Watch NASCAR America LIVE at 5 pm ET: Texas 3-step, Harvick’s 500th, up-and-coming Quiroga, lots more

Oct 30, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT

NASCAR America

Things are always bigger and better in Texas, and we live up to that with the big show we have planned for Thursday’s NASCAR America.

17. Miles explains IndyCar’s 2015 schedule changes, clashes

Oct 30, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

TorontoLeadPts Getty Images

Date changes, date equity, and broadcast windows play key role in shaping 2015 IndyCar schedule.

18. What does the future hold for F1 in the United States?

Oct 30, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

F1 United State Grand Prix Auto Racing AP

F1 is booming in the United States, but could the arrival of an American team and an American driver send its popularity off the charts?

19. Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO)

Oct 30, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT

RTM Logo 101714

Ahead of the premiere of Road to Mercedes on NBCSN at 10p ET, here is one final teaser for the show that will see NBCSN’s Will Buxton and Jason Swales travel to Germany to visit the Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

20. Vergne: Being kept by Toro Rosso win-win for everybody

Oct 30, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Russia Getty Images

Frenchman thinks he would be the best choice for Toro Rosso in 2015 alongside Max Verstappen.

Video from NASCAR America

Who has the best chance in Texas?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches