Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Andreas Bakkerud to sub for Piquet Jr. with SH Rallycross at X Games

May 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Photo: SH Rallycross Photo: SH Rallycross

Andreas Bakkerud will fill in for Piquet while he’s on Formula E duty in Russia.

2. Wolff answers fans questions following Monaco pit error

May 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - MARCH 12:  Mercedes GP Executive Director Toto Wolff speaks with members of the media next to St Kilda beach during previews to the Australian Formula One Grand Prix on March 12, 2015 in Melbourne, Australia.  (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images) Getty Images

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff took part in a Twitter Q&A earlier this week.

3. Foust reflects on Red Bull GRC’s evolution, growth, what wins mean now

May 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Photo: Tony DiZinno Photo: Tony DiZinno

Two-time series champion looks ahead to a big year in Red Bull GRC with Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross.

4. Gossage to Walker: “We needed a more competitive race this year than last year”

May 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

The Bombardier Learjet 500k Getty Images

Gossage and Walker are in contact about how to best move forward with super speedway aero kits ahead of June 6 IndyCar race.

5. Final tally of Pippa Mann’s 2015 #GetInvolved campaign revealed

May 28, 2015, 7:30 AM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

No. 63 driver tops $61,000 raised for Susan G. Komen this month.

6. IndyCar drivers break down Belle Isle Park street course

May 27, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Chevrolet Indy Dual In Detroit - Dual II Getty Images

The last seven races held in Detroit have been won by a different driver.

7. INDYCAR announces post-Indy 500 penalties; Coyne, Herta pit penalties among them

May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

Penalties doled out after the Indy 500, most notably to the No. 19 and 98 teams for pit incidents.

8. Tristan Vautier, Rodolfo Gonzalez to race for Dale Coyne Racing in Detroit Duals

May 27, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT

Tristan Vautier Tristan Vautier

Gonzalez returns to No. 18 car after running it in the Grand Prix of Alabama.

9. Graham Rahal feels ‘really good’ about Detroit Dual

May 27, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

Graham Rahal Graham Rahal

After three straight top-five finishes, Graham Rahal returns to the site of his only 2014 podium.

10. Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency

May 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Photo: Red Bull Content Pool Photo: Red Bull Content Pool

Ahead of the Red Bull GRC season, Tanner Foust and Scott Speed look for better luck in the pair of Volkswagen Andretti Rallycross Beetles.

11. Charlie Kimball looks to capitalize on Indianapolis performance in Detroit Dual

May 27, 2015, 12:28 PM EDT

Charlie Kimball Charlie Kimball

Charlie Kimball says his team has hit its stride after two straight top-five finishes.

12. Wilson adds Andretti FE to his diverse racing portfolio, racing at Moscow

May 27, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT

Justin Wilson AP

Wilson and Andretti continue relationship at FE race in Moscow.

13. Racing for Cancer, DeBoer partner ahead of Le Mans Festival

May 27, 2015, 9:23 AM EDT

deboer_3D_rendering_lemans

Racing for Cancer to make trip to this year’s Le Mans, with Derek DeBoer in an Aston Martin Vantage GT4.

14. Red Bull GRC course layout for Ft. Lauderdale opener revealed

May 27, 2015, 8:16 AM EDT

FtLauderdaleMain Getty Images

The Red Bull GRC season kicks off in Fort Lauderdale this weekend.

15. Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit

May 27, 2015, 7:44 AM EDT

IndyCar Detroit Auto Racing AP

Fast facts heading into this weekend’s Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit, courtesy of IndyCar PR staff.

16. Chaves wins Indy 500 Rookie of the Year honors

May 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Chaves best of two first-year drivers in 99th Indianapolis 500.

17. Nelson Piquet, SH Rallycross look for big second year in Red Bull GRC

May 26, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT

Photo: Red Bull Content Pool Photo: Red Bull Content Pool

Look out for Nelson Piquet Jr. and SH Rallycross to have a big year in 2015.