Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Gordon’s Brickyard legacy superb, but can’t be compared to other Indy legends

Jul 27, 2014, 7:52 PM EDT

Jeff Gordon AP

A world of differences make it impossible to weigh Jeff Gordon’s accomplishments at Indy against those of A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears, Al Unser Sr., and Michael Schumacher.

2. Kyle Larson has solid outing in first Brickyard 400

Jul 27, 2014, 6:52 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) (Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images)

INDIANAPOLIS – Jeff Gordon gave himself an early 43rd birthday present with Sunday’s Brickyard 400 win. Kyle Larson also gave himself an early birthday present – his 22nd will be Thursday – with a solid seventh-place finish in his first Brickyard.

3. Joe Gibbs Racing has great overall Brickyard run, but Denny Hamlin’s car could have issues

Jul 27, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

joe gibbs AP

INDIANAPOLIS – It wasn’t quite the 1-2-3 finish they might have hoped for, but it was almost just as good for Joe Gibbs Racing’s three drivers in Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Kyle Busch finished second to winner Jeff Gordon, followed by Denny Hamlin in third and Matt Kenseth was fourth.

4. Kyle Busch picks up 3rd runner-up finish in last 4 races

Jul 27, 2014, 5:41 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 Getty Images

Rowdy continues his strong performance as of late with another P2 at Indianapolis.

5. Kasey Kahne unable to hang on late at the Brickyard

Jul 27, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

Kasey Kahne AP

Kasey Kahne led a race-high 70 laps, but lost the Brickyard 400 lead to Jeff Gordon on a restart with 16 laps to go and faded to sixth.

6. Jeff Gordon wins record 5th Brickyard 400 in vintage fashion

Jul 27, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Robert Baker) AP

INDIANAPOLIS – It was an oldie but goodie performance as Jeff Gordon – seven days short of his 43rd birthday – rallied late to win Sunday’s 21st Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

7. Hungarian GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday

Jul 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

One final round-up from the Hungaroring following Daniel Ricciardo’s supreme victory.

8. Broken axle spoils Danica Patrick’s day, Brickyard win hopes

Jul 27, 2014, 2:53 PM EDT

(Photo: Sean Gardner/Getty Images) Getty Images

A broken rear axle ended Danica Patrick’s day prematurely in Sunday’s Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

9. Brickyard 400 Update: Strategies shifting, but Kahne’s leading at halfway

Jul 27, 2014, 2:43 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 Getty Images

Strategy plays have been plentiful in the first half of today’s race at Indianapolis.

10. Sebastian Vettel struggles to seventh in Hungary after spin

Jul 27, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Defending world champion has a quiet race at the Hungaroring; now 43 points behind Ricciardo in the drivers’ championship.

11. Hamilton unsure why he was asked to let Rosberg past

Jul 27, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Briton was asked twice to let Rosberg past, but he defied team orders on both occasions.

12. Carl Edwards says he has a 2015 deal “worked out”

Jul 27, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Practice Getty Images

“I have a deal moving forward. I can’t announce it yet. When all those pieces come together, it’ll be announced and we’ll talk about it.” – Edwards

13. Perez and Ericsson crash hard in Hungary (VIDEOS)

Jul 27, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Big crashes for both Perez and Ericsson, but luckily neither suffered any injuries.

14. Alonso: Second place “a nice surprise” for Ferrari

Jul 27, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Best result of the season for Ferrari with Alonso second and Kimi Raikkonen P6.

15. Announcement of Edwards’ exit from Roush Fenway had some strange timing

Jul 27, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

By making announcement hours before Brickyard 400, team owner Jack Roush didn’t seem to do Edwards any favors.

16. Rosberg disappointed with fourth place behind Hamilton (VIDEO)

Jul 27, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Championship lead shrinks by three points after finishing half a second behind Hamilton at the flag.

17. Hungry Hamilton charges from the pit lane to the podium

Jul 27, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Cuts the gap to Nico Rosberg by three points, leaving the gap at just eleven for the summer break.

18. Ricciardo elated with second Formula 1 victory in Hungary

Jul 27, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary Getty Images

Red Bull driver won a sensational grand prix ahead of Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton.

19. Carl Edwards to leave Roush Fenway Racing at season’s end

Jul 27, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT

Camping World RV Sales 301 - Practice Getty Images

Roush Fenway Racing announces that its 2015 Sprint Cup driver lineup will feature Greg Biffle, Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Trevor Bayne.

20. Ricciardo rockets to sensational Hungarian GP victory

Jul 27, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Australian driver claims a sensational win for Red Bull, the second of his F1 career.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA