Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EST

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life”

Nov 23, 2014, 10:13 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ABU-DHABI-PODIUM Getty Images

British driver wins his second F1 championship in Abu Dhabi as title rival Nico Rosberg fails to finish in the points.

2. Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP

Nov 23, 2014, 9:45 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

An engine failure for Nico Rosberg leaves Hamilton free to win the race under the lights in Abu Dhabi and clinch his second world title.

3. GP2: Coletti wins final race of the season in Abu Dhabi

Nov 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EST

© GP2 Media Service © GP2 Media Service

F1′s feeder series comes to a close in Abu Dhabi on Sunday.

4. GP3: Stoneman and Niederhauser close out season with wins

Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EST

© GP3 Media © GP3 Media

The third tier single seater series comes to a close in Abu Dhabi, with Alex Lynn winning the championship.

5. Starting grid for the 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Nov 23, 2014, 7:15 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

Nico Rosberg will lead the grid away for the 11th and final time in 2014 later today.

6. WATCH LIVE: Abu Dhabi GP Race Day live on NBCSN from 7a ET

Nov 23, 2014, 6:45 AM EST

Nico Rosberg AP

Nico Rosberg and Lewi Hamilton’s date with destiny awaits in Abu Dhabi today.

7. Alonso hits back at questions about his motivation

Nov 23, 2014, 6:30 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Practice Getty Images

Spaniard responds to comments made by Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci earlier this week.

8. The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi

Nov 23, 2014, 6:00 AM EST

Nico Rosberg, Lewis Hamilton AP

The 2014 Formula 1 season has been a sensational one, but the championship will finally be decided today in Abu Dhabi. Will it be Lewis or Nico?

9. Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane

Nov 23, 2014, 5:48 AM EST

Mideast Emirates F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Changes made to the cars overnight warrant another penalty for Red Bull.

10. Brad Keselowski tips Lewis Hamilton to win F1 title

Nov 23, 2014, 1:57 AM EST

Goody's Headache Relief Shot 500 - Practice Getty Images

“I believe in miracles but not this time. Lewis Hamilton has got this.”

11. Remembering iconic motorsports PR great Denny Darnell

Nov 22, 2014, 11:21 PM EST

Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski. Denny Darnell (far left), with wife Jean, and Cyndee and Jerry Bonkowski.

The world of motorsports — particularly NASCAR and NHRA — is mourning arguably the best public relations person it has ever seen, Denny Darnell, who passed away Saturday.

12. Indy USF2000 winner Will Owen moves to Juncos Racing, Pro Mazda Series in 2015

Nov 22, 2014, 6:15 PM EST

(Photo courtesy Juncos Racing) (Photo courtesy Juncos Racing)

Will Owen, who impressively won the 2014 USF2000 race as a rookie at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this past May, is moving up the racing ladder.

13. Marco Andretti, Will Power, AJ Allmendinger go back to roots in big karting race this weekend in Las Vegas

Nov 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

superkarts usa

Marco Andretti, reigning IndyCar champ Will Power and NASCAR driver AJ Allmendinger, are all going back to their racing roots this weekend in Las Vegas, taking part in one of the biggest karting events of the season.

14. Luke Lambert, Ryan Newman’s crew chief, named ‘Problem Solver of the Year’; earns $100k prize

Nov 22, 2014, 4:45 PM EST

Ryan Newman, left, team owner Richard Childress and crew chief Luke Lambert together at Homestead-Miami Speedway last weekend. (Robert Laberge/Getty Images) Getty Images

Luke, Lambert, crew chief for Ryan Newman, has been named Federal-Mogul Motorparts’ “Problem Solver of the Year.” And with it comes a $100,000 prize that he’ll receive Dec. 4 in Las Vegas.

15. Former F1 driver Mark Webber talks Hamilton-Rosberg title battle (VIDEO)

Nov 22, 2014, 4:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of USA - Race Getty Images

The former Grand Prix regular and current sports car racer chats with NBCSN’s Will Buxton in Abu Dhabi.

16. Force India owner Vijay Mallya comes out firing against Red Bull on Twitter

Nov 22, 2014, 3:50 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

Mallya attacks Red Bull following its double exclusion from today’s qualifying session in Abu Dhabi.

17. Formula E Notes: Lucas di Grassi keeps points lead; Nick Heidfeld excluded from Putrajaya ePrix

Nov 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

Formula E Championship - Putrajaya Getty Images

di Grassi climbs from 18th on the grid to second at finish in Putrajaya ePrix; Nick Heidfeld found to have made pit stop car change outside permitted area, relegated to 19th.

18. Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday

Nov 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EST

Lewis Hamilton AP

The stage is set for the final showdown on Sunday. Will it be Lewis or Nico?

19. GP2: Vandoorne claims fourth win of 2014 in Abu Dhabi

Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 PM EST

© GP2 Media Service © GP2 Media Service

McLaren junior driver moves up to second in the championship with feature race win in Abu Dhabi.

Video from NASCAR America

Most unexpected event of 2014?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches