Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EST

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Allison pleased with Ferrari race pace in testing

Mar 1, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

Raikkonen 13 Getty Images

Ferrari technical director says that the SF15-T is working as expected.

2. Maldonado hoping to fight with Red Bull and Ferrari in 2015

Mar 1, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Maldonado 13 Getty Images

Maldonado confident Lotus has made a big improvement after miserable 2014.

3. Boullier expects McLaren to be up to speed by Spanish GP

Mar 1, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ESP-TEST-MCLAREN Getty Images

Team racing director admits that it is behind schedule after a difficult winter.

4. Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015

Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day Three Getty Images

British driver says that sticking with #44 means far more to him than having the number designated for the world champion.

5. FR3.5: Facu Regalia signs with Zeta Corse for 2015

Feb 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

© GP2 Media Service © GP2 Media Service

Argentinian driver confirms his plans for the new season after a difficult 2014 with Hilmer Motorsport.

6. Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday

Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

Sainz 282a Getty Images

A full round-up from the penultimate day of F1 pre-season testing in Barcelona.

7. Vergne enjoys first Ferrari run-out in Adelaide show run

Feb 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EST

V8 Supercars Clipsal 500 - Race 1 & 2 Getty Images

Frenchman joined the team as a test driver for the 2015 season.

8. More birthdays: Aldo Andretti, Bourdais, Hawksworth, Bachelart, Minassian, Leitzinger, Liddell

Feb 28, 2015, 3:11 PM EST

BourdaisTOR12 AP

Bourdais, Hawksworth, Aldo Andretti and more all have birthdays today, February 28.

9. Hamilton: “It wasn’t a particularly spectacular day”

Feb 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

Hamilton 282a Getty Images

Despite posting a time that, when adjusted to account for tire compounds, could be 1.4 seconds quicker than the rest of the field, the Briton was unenthused about his performance.

10. UPDATED: #AirJosef: Newgarden dunks with Pacers Power Pack (VIDEO)

Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST

AirNewgy AP

How well does Josef Newgarden dunk? Find out in video he does with Indiana Pacers “Power Pack.”

11. Sainz Jr. boosted by productive day for Toro Rosso

Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST

Sainz 282 Getty Images

Today was Sainz’s last run in the Toro Rosso before his F1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.

12. Kevin Magnussen wanted Corvette Le Mans drive alongside his father, Jan

Feb 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Malaysia - Qualifying Getty Images

Danish driver reveals he received the call to say he would not be racing in F1 very late, preventing him from securing a drive elsewhere in 2015.

13. “Focus” light on IndyCar content, but oozes enough cool to enhance “cool factor”

Feb 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

FocusLede AP

Is “Focus” IndyCar-focused? No. Is it cool to have IndyCar as a part of a Will Smith movie? Definitely.

14. Massa positive after final winter testing run for Williams

Feb 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day Three Getty Images

Brazilian driver finishes second on day three of the final test in Barcelona, two-tenths of a second behind pace-setter Lewis Hamilton.

15. Hulkenberg surprised by Force India mileage in Barcelona

Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

Hulkenberg 282 Getty Images

German driver completes 234 laps in just a day and a half in Barcelona as he continues to learn about the VJM08.

16. Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three

Feb 28, 2015, 12:02 PM EST

Hamilton 282 Getty Images

British driver finishes two-tenths of a second clear of Felipe Massa on the penultimate day of pre-season testing in Barcelona.

17. Vettel left wanting more from Ferrari SF15-T in testing

Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

F1 Testing In Barcelona - Day Two Getty Images

Four-time world champion will get his final test run in the new Ferrari on Sunday ahead of his grand prix debut for the team next month.

18. Button: 100 laps felt like 1,000 to McLaren on Friday

Feb 28, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Button 282 Getty Images

British driver delighted with breakthrough after a miserable winter testing programme.

19. Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti

Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Indianapolis 500 Parade Getty Images

We wish Mario Andretti, one of the all-time greats, a happy 75th birthday.

20. Manor Marussia “very close” to racing in Australian GP

Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Qualifying Getty Images

Team founder John Booth is confident that the revived outfit will race in the Australian Grand Prix on March 15.