Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Rosberg beats rain, red flags and Vettel for Hungary pole

Jul 26, 2014, 9:10 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing

Crazy qualifying session in Hungary ends with Rosberg at the front once again.

2. VIDEO: Hamilton’s qualifying goes up in flames after engine fire

Jul 26, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

An engine fire sees Hamilton’s hopes of a first pole since the Spanish Grand Prix go up in flames.

3. WATCH LIVE: Hungarian GP Qualifying; Hamilton seeks first pole since Spain

Jul 26, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Can Hamilton secure his first pole position since the Spanish Grand Prix today?

4. Sebastian Vettel “absolutely committed” to Red Bull

Jul 26, 2014, 7:15 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Red Bull boss Christian Horner has no doubts about the future of his star driver.

5. F1 teams to follow FIA’s lead for Russian Grand Prix

Jul 26, 2014, 6:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

Boycott of the race in Sochi this October seems unlikely.

6. Hamilton completes his clean sweep in Hungary FP3

Jul 26, 2014, 6:02 AM EDT

Lewis Hamilton AP

Clean sweep of practices for Hamilton, but Rosberg is still hanging onto his teammate’s coattails.

7. WATCH LIVE: FP3 for the Hungarian Grand Prix

Jul 26, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT

Hungary F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Lewis Hamilton looks to continue his clean sweep of practice in Hungary.

8. Kyle Busch sweeps past John Hunter Nemechek on final turn to win ARCA CRA late-model event

Jul 26, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT

kyle busch nh Getty Images

BROWNSBURG, Ind. – In an exciting finish that featured plenty of beating and banging, Kyle Busch waited until the final turn of the final lap to get by John Hunter Nemechek and win Friday night’s ARCA CRA Super Series Circle City 100 late-model event at Lucas Oil Raceway.

9. IMSA: Action Express dominates Indy; Hawksworth wins on debut

Jul 25, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT

AxIMSWin Getty Images

Action Express wins Indy; RSR, Viper and Ferrari the other TUDOR Championship class winners.

10. Red Bull GRC enters heart of stock car country for season’s 5th event

Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GRCLogo

After Tanner Foust emerged as the victor of a riotous final in New York, the beat goes on for Red Bull GRC this weekend with a trip to The Dirt Track at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

11. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson easy pick for Brickyard

Jul 25, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

2014 brickyard 400 logo

On Friday’s edition, the NASCAR America crew discussed the favorites for Sunday’s Brickyard 400. And not surprisingly, Jimmie Johnson is the easy pick — but there are a few other drivers who could contend.

12. NASCAR America: Jimmie Johnson looking for fifth Brickyard win

Jul 25, 2014, 6:26 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Qualifying Getty Images

On Friday’s edition of NASCAR America, Sam Hornish Jr. joined Leigh Diffey to discuss Jimmie Johnson’s quest for his fifth Brickyard 400 win. Hornish noted that Johnson’s first win at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway was a positive turning point for his team.

13. NASCAR America: Clint Bowyer talks keys to winning Chase

Jul 25, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT

(Photo: Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images) Getty Images

On Friday’s NASCAR America, Clint Bowyer talked about handling Indianapolis Motor Speedway, site of Sunday’s 21st annual Brickyard 400, as well as his teams’ improvement and his hopes of getting into and winning the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

14. Juan Pablo Montoya, Will Power go looking for fun, wind up with ‘Sex Tape’

Jul 25, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

sex tape

After a long day of testing at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Penske Racing teammates Juan Pablo Montoya and Will Power went to see a movie Wednesday in Mansfield, Ohio. Check out Montoya’s hilarious tale about what they saw.

15. Kurt Busch: No talks yet on a second Indy-Charlotte double

Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Kurt Busch AP

“Every day I wake up and I’m like, ‘Yes, let’s do it again.’ Then there are thoughts of ‘I finished sixth, that’s pretty special.’ I don’t know if I could achieve that result again.” – Outlaw

16. Brickyard owes Juan Pablo Montoya one, but will it pay off Sunday?

Jul 25, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

(AP Photo/Darron Cummings) AP

INDIANAPOLIS – Juan Pablo Montoya has twice come close to winning the Brickyard 400, only to suffer maladies that kept him from kissing the finish line bricks at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in celebration.

17. Got questions about life? “Bartender Brad” Keselowski’s here to help (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

Aaron's 499 - Practice Getty Images

The former Sprint Cup champion steps behind the counter and serves up cold ones…Of truth.

18. Everyone worried about a Kenseth win — except Matt himself

Jul 25, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT

kenseth indy AP

INDIANAPOLIS — Everyone seems to be concerned Matt Kenseth hasn’t won a race thus far in 2014 – everyone, that is, except Kenseth himself.

19. Jimmie Johnson remembers early Brickyard struggles

Jul 25, 2014, 2:17 PM EDT

Geico 400 - Practice Getty Images

The four-time Brickyard 400 champion says he had to go against his “natural tendencies” as a driver in order to become as successful as he has been at Indy.

20. Hungarian GP Paddock Notebook – Friday

Jul 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Practice Getty Images

All of the latest news and analysis from the paddock at the Hungaroring.

Today on NASCAR AMERICA