Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH: MAVTV 500 replay and INDYCAR championship celebration tonight, starting 8 p.m. ET

Sep 2, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

MAVTV 500 Ð Day 1 Getty Images

The Fontana race replay and championship celebration air tonight on NBCSN from 8 p.m. ET through 11:30 p.m. ET.

2. NASCAR AMERICA: Who can challenge Hendrick, Penske drivers in Chase? (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT

Irwin Tools Night Race - Qualifying Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman have their ideas on who can beat out NASCAR’s two strongest teams for a championship.

3. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne looking ahead to the Chase (VIDEO)

Sep 2, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

The newest Chase-bound driver chats with NBCSN’s Marty Snider about his win on Sunday at Atlanta Motor Speedway.

4. Everything you need to know for Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond

Sep 2, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT

Jeff Gordon AP

400 miles. 2 Chase Grid spots. It all comes down to Saturday night.

5. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with Atlanta winner Kahne at 5 p.m. ET

Sep 2, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT

(Photo: Sarah Glenn/Getty Images) Getty Images

Coming up today: Beating the Hendrick/Penske bloc; Atlanta edition of “Scan All 43″; Kyle Busch’s continued struggles; the career of crew chief Jimmy Fennig.

6. American driver Conor Daly loses GP2 ride with Venezuela GP Lazarus

Sep 2, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

© GP2 Media © GP2 Media

Daly confirms the tough news on his Twitter page, citing a “lack of funding” as the cause for his dropping.

7. NASCAR: Turner Scott shuts down No. 30 team in Truck Series

Sep 2, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

Pocono Mountains 150 - Practice Getty Images

Ron Hornaday Jr. is out of a ride and 18 employees are out of a job.

8. Fernando Alonso denies rumors of leaving Ferrari

Sep 2, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Practice Getty Images

Alonso to Britain’s Sky Sports: “I want to win here and finish the job that we started some years ago, and we will see what the future [holds]“

9. MRTI: Hargrove (Porsche GT3 Canada) and Burkett (Atlantic) capture other titles

Sep 2, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA Green, Hargrove, Pigot. Photo: IMSA

Mazda Road to Indy regulars Scott Hargrove and Daniel Burkett secure titles in Porsche GT3 Canada and Atlantic, respectively.

10. Caterham GP2 team brings in Red Bull Junior Pierre Gasly for rest of 2014

Sep 2, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Photo via @RedBullMotors Photo via @RedBullMotors

Pierre Gasly, a Red Bull Junior, will join Caterham’s GP2 team for the rest of 2014.

11. Your Chase clinch scenarios for Saturday’s regular season finale

Sep 2, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Irwin Tools Night Race - Practice Getty Images

Ryan Newman is the only Chase hopeful that controls his destiny going into Saturday’s Federated Auto Parts 400.

12. Mikhail Aleshin updates social media for first time since Fontana accident

Sep 2, 2014, 1:03 PM EDT

AleshinSunIMS Getty Images

Mikhail Aleshin updates his social media pages for first time since scary Fontana accident on Friday night.

13. Gene Haas’ F1 team changes team name, launches new pages

Sep 2, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT

Gene Haas Formula One Press Conference Getty Images

What was Haas Formula is now Haas F1 Team as part of a new brand rollout.

14. United Fiber & Data announces IndyCar return; capacity, driver TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

United Fiber & Data looks set to return to IndyCar for 2015 and the foreseeable future.

15. Cindric proposes IndyCar champion Will Power will run No. 1 in 2015

Sep 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

WillNumber AP

Team Penske president Tim Cindric all but confirms Will Power will run the No. 1 in 2015.

16. MAVTV announces two-year IndyCar extension at Fontana; date TBD

Sep 2, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

MAVTV 500 Getty Images

MAVTV announces IndyCar’s return to Fontana for two more years through 2016, although official confirmation from the sanctioning body and a date remains to be revealed.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Kahne’s in Chase, but knows he and No. 5 team must improve (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

Kahne to NBCSN contributor Nate Ryan: “We need to build off of this…As a team, we need to be stronger together.”

18. NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO)

Sep 1, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Oral-B USA 500 Getty Images

NASCAR AMERICA’S Kyle Petty and Parker Kligerman believe that the three-time Sprint Cup champion handled himself well throughout a difficult weekend.

19. F1: Sochi grandstand to be named for Toro Rosso rookie Kvyat

Sep 1, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Hungary - Qualifying Getty Images

Organizers of the Russian Grand Prix appear to be getting behind their countryman as F1’s first visit to Sochi draws closer.

20. NHRA: Four first-time U.S. Nationals winners crowned in Indianapolis

Sep 1, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

DeJoriaWin AP

Richie Crampton, Alexis DeJoria, Shane Gray and Eddie Krawiec captured U.S. Nationals wins on Monday.

Video from NASCAR America

Tony Stewart does well in return
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches