Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO)

Sep 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Brad Keselowski, Joey Logano AP

They’ve already got the IndyCar title. But can Team Penske claim the Sprint Cup as well this season?

2. NASCAR AMERICA: The evolution of Joey Logano (VIDEO)

Sep 22, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT

Sylvania 300 Getty Images

It hasn’t always been easy for Logano since he broke into the Sprint Cup Series in 2009. But there’s no disputing that the kid once known as “Sliced Bread” (as in, greatest thing since) has grown up.

3. NASCAR: Penske, Roush Fenway squads test at Texas Motor Speedway

Sep 22, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

Credit: Texas Motor Speedway Credit: Texas Motor Speedway

Two teams on the opposite ends of the Chase spectrum head for the Lone Star State.

4. Red Bull GRC: Ken Block, Joni Wiman now the ones to beat in title race

Sep 22, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

GRCLogo

A wild doubleheader in Los Angeles has left Block with an 18-point edge over Wiman as the series heads for Seattle.

5. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA recaps day of survival in N.H. at 4:30 p.m. ET

Sep 22, 2014, 4:15 PM EDT

Sylvania 300 Getty Images

Coming up today: Highlights and analysis from Joey Logano’s Chase win at Loudon; an interview with Penske president Tim Cindric; Kevin Harvick’s Chase progress; Denny Hamlin’s nightmarish day; 16-year-old Cole Custer’s historic Truck win.

6. Alex Zanardi inspires once again in “Touch The Sky” clip (VIDEO)

Sep 22, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Indianapolis 500 Getty Images

The former CART and F1 driver’s incredible story is spotlighted in a special clip that previews a new film regarding BMW’s legacy in touring car racing.

7. Wally Dallenbach Jr. is coming back to Trans-Am

Sep 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

DallenbachHeadshot

Wally Dallenbach Jr. to make competitive return to driving in Trans-Am, starting next month.

8. McLaren principal says Red Bull used coded messages in Singapore GP

Sep 22, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Eric Boullier indicates that he feels Red Bull breached the FIA’s new radio ban with its messages to Daniel Ricciardo during Sunday’s race.

9. Mark Webber refreshed, relaxed in Austin return

Sep 22, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

WebberCOTA Getty Images

Mark Webber enjoys his return to Austin in FIA WEC, even if the result in his No. 20 Porsche goes begging.

10. Team Penske has early Chase edge, but Hendrick camp can strike at Dover

Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

Chase for the sprint cup logo

The clash of the titans has gone Team Penske’s way so far. But next weekend’s race at Dover could see the tide turn in favor of Hendrick Motorsports.

11. Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore”

Sep 22, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

LottererCaterham Getty Images

Andre Lotterer reflects on the openness of FIA WEC and Super Formula compared to his one-off Grand Prix appearance in Belgium.

12. COTA weekend thoughts and observations: FIA WEC

Sep 22, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

GDriveSMPCOTA AP

The FIA WEC headed to Texas this weekend. Here are some thoughts on how it went down.

13. COTA weekend thoughts and observations: IMSA

Sep 22, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

IMSACota Getty Images

Both the TUDOR Championship and Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge put on a show in Austin this weekend.

14. FIA WEC: Another Audi win at COTA

Sep 22, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT

Le Mans 24h Race Getty Images

Audi 1-2 leads FIA WEC winners at COTA.

15. Can Hamilton take this momentum all the way to Abu Dhabi?

Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Reliability woes have left Nico Rosberg reeling. If he doesn’t respond at Suzuka, it could be game over.

16. Rosberg: I felt helpless in Singapore (VIDEO)

Sep 22, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

German driver does well to keep his anger in check in his post-race video blog.

17. Force India owner heaps praise on Sergio Perez after Singapore fightback

Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Vijay Mallya delighted as Force India makes 2014 its most successful season since entering F1 back in 2008.

18. Singapore GP Weekend: All Posts, One Place

Sep 22, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Singapore Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton has put himself back in control of the 2014 F1 world championship after a great win in Singapore as teammate Nico Rosberg retired.

19. Red Bull GRC: Rhys Millen wins Race 2 in L.A.; Ken Block takes championship lead

Sep 21, 2014, 8:43 PM EDT

GRCLogo

Millen scores his second win of 2014, while YouTube icon Block takes an 18-point lead in the championship with two races left in the season.

20. Schumacher (TF), C. Force (FC), Connolly (PS), Hines (PSM) are NHRA winners at Texas

Sep 21, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy NHRA) (Photo courtesy NHRA)

Tony Schumacher (Top Fuel), Courtney Force (Funny Car), Dave Connolly (Pro Stock) and Andrew Hines (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were the winners in Sunday’s final rounds of the NHRA FallNationals in Ennis, Texas.

Video from NASCAR America

Which longshot will advance in Chase?
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches