Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Keselowski: ‘I’m not (Dale Earnhardt Sr.) … I’m just trying to do things my own way’

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 PM EDT

(Jared C. Tilton/NASCAR via Getty Images) Getty Images

Brad Keselowski is flattered people might compare him with the late Dale Earnhardt, but he’ll be the first to say he’s not the new Intimidator in NASCAR.

2. Greatest collection of Indy 500 pace cars to be displayed soon

Oct 22, 2014, 8:18 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway) (Photo courtesy Indianapolis Motor Speedway)

Perhaps the greatest collection of original Indianapolis 500 pace cars will soon be on display at an upcoming car show in suburban Chicago.

3. IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe being toasted for fast-selling beer

Oct 22, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT

(Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com) (Photo courtesy Hinchtown.com)

For most Canadians, their homebrewed beer choice is typically Labatts or Molson. But countryman and IndyCar driver James Hinchcliffe is starting to get some traction with his own beer brand, Hinchtown Hammer Down (HHD).

4. NASCAR America: Take a spin around Martinsville Speedway

Oct 22, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT

NASCAR America

On Wednesday’s edition of NASCAR America, Parker Kligerman took a spin around Martinsville Speedway in the NBC race simulator to show why the paper-clip shaped track can be extremely difficult.

5. NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief

Oct 22, 2014, 4:13 PM EDT

Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing) Jimmy Prock, now former crew chief for John Force. (Photo courtesy John Force Racing)

In a stunning move that could potentially threaten his bid for a record-extending 17th NHRA Funny Car championship, John Force announced Wednesday that veteran crew chief Jimmy Prock has resigned, effective immediately.

6. Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT

KurtDanica Getty Images

Crew chiefs, road crews for Nos. 10 and 41 Stewart-Haas Racing cars will swap starting at Texas.

7. Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED)

Oct 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT

AUTO-PRIX-JPN-F1 Getty Images

More murky messaging from Leafield as Caterham’s future hangs in the balance.

8. Drag racer Ron Capps doesn’t let hurricane stop Hawaii appearance

Oct 22, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA, Teresa Long) AP

When you drive a car that produces nearly 10,000 horsepower and reaches speeds approaching 330 mph, a hurricane with wind speeds over 100 mph is nothing. That was the case Sunday for NHRA Funny Car driver Ron Capps.

9. Ken Block, Matthew Wilson to return to WRC in Spain this weekend

Oct 22, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

FIA World Rally Championship Mexico - Day Two Getty Images

Ken Block, Matthew Wilson make WRC returns for this weekend’s Rally Spain.

10. UPDATED: Will NHRA Funny Car legend John Force reveal new sponsor and manufacturer today?

Oct 22, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT

(AP Photo/NHRA) AP

Sixteen-time NHRA Funny Car champion John Force is expected to make a major announcement concerning John Force Racing later Tuesday afternoon.

11. NASCAR: Kurt Busch’s new 2015 paint scheme unveiled

Oct 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

Crown Royal Presents The John Wayne Walding 400 - Practice Getty Images

Kurt Busch’s 2015 paint scheme adds more red.

12. Lotus begins deal with jewelry company called Endless

Oct 22, 2014, 11:35 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Japan - Qualifying Getty Images

Lotus will have a new sponsor for Austin that’s beginning, but called Endless.

13. Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO)

Oct 22, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT

DaleJrDega AP

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will be featured for UPMC campaign that seeks to change the conversation about concussions.

14. Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end

Oct 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT

Sam-Michael-McL Getty Images

Sam Michael to leave McLaren at year’s end, the team confirms.

15. Here to stay: Keselowski vows that he won’t be run out of the sport

Oct 21, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Geico 500 Getty Images

The championship contender talks about his reputation during a Monday night appearance at Texas Motor Speedway.

16. NASCAR AMERICA: Pressure mounts with four races to go in Chase (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

(Streeter Lecka/Getty Images) Getty Images

As NASCAR AMERICA’s Kyle Petty explains, the new Chase format has created something that NASCAR hasn’t seen before.

17. NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO)

Oct 21, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Practice Getty Images

A ninth Martinsville win on Sunday would put Gordon into the Championship Race at Homestead. Check out his interview with NASCAR AMERICA’s Jason Weigandt about his success at M’Ville and more.

18. Joey Logano says he’s made peace with Danica Patrick over Charlotte wreck

Oct 21, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT

GEICO 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Logano admits he should’ve given Patrick more space on the race track two weekends ago.

19. WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA talks with “Eliminator 8″ at 5 p.m. ET

Oct 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

Credit: NASCAR Credit: NASCAR

Extended interviews with Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Brad Keselowski, and Carl Edwards also coming up on today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.

Video from NASCAR America