Healed and stronger, Denny Hamlin ready to pick up in 2014 where he left off at Homestead

Feb 14, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT

AAA 400 - Practice Getty Images

When the green flag drops to start the 56th Daytona 500 on Feb. 23, it’ll be 98 days and 290 miles between races for Denny Hamlin.

But even with the time lapse and the distance between Hamlin’s 2013 season-ending win at Homestead Miami Speedway and the 2014 Sprint Cup season opener at Daytona International Speedway, the Virginia native still feels like it was just yesterday that he took home the checkered flag.

And even with the layoff, Hamlin still feels like he has the best momentum of pretty much any fellow competitor coming into this year’s 500, based upon how he ended the most difficult year of his career at Homestead.

“Homestead, for me, made me believe that it’s possible, that if I get back healthy, this is the kind of results we can expect and this is how I should expect to run,” Hamlin told MotorSportsTalk. “So, not that Homestead made me change how hard I worked in the gym this off-season, but it definitely motivated me to know that if I’m feeling good, I’m going to be running good.”

There’s no denying how difficult and frustrating last season was for Hamlin. He was in the worst wreck of his career, forced to miss the next four races as a result of the back injury he sustained in a head-on crash into a unpadded retaining wall at Auto Club Speedway last March.

“It’s a dead year in a lot of ways,” Hamlin said.

To say Hamlin is more cerebral coming into 2014 is not a stretch. Up until last season, he relied more so on his talent to lead him behind the wheel. But now, he’s much more of a thinking man’s driver.

“What I take from it the most, I would say, would be just the appreciation of when you do run well,” he said. “I took for granted just making the Chase every single year and winning multiple races every year. Just like it was easy, really didn’t have to prepare for it.  I just showed up and we did it.

“With the competition and how we ran at the end of last year, you’ve got to think about preparing for more weeks and preparing to be good, you can’t just rely on talent to do it. “It’s looking over what you struggled with last time. It’s all about debriefing and figuring out in your meeting how can you get better? Not just chalking it up, ‘Oh, it’s just a bad weekend. We’ll rebound next weekend.’ No, why? Why did you struggle? How can you get better?”

Just putting the pedal to the metal won’t get it done anymore, Hamlin acknowledges. And what’s brought about the biggest change in him has nothing to do with Denny the race car driver, but more so Denny the man.

“I had a daughter, that helped a lot,” Hamlin said. “One thing’s for sure, as crappy as my weekends were week in and week out, it lasted as long as the plane ride home. That helped a ton.

“Those two events, having a daughter and having to sit out a few races, made me probably change my outlook more than anything has in the eight years that I’ve been in the Cup series on getting through those bad weeks and getting to the good ones and hopefully seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Those two things have changed the way I think about my job and what I have to do and hopefully it’s all for the good and shows up in 2014.”

Hamlin ultimately finished 2013 in 23rd place, which in and of itself is pretty significant. Sure, it was the worst finish of his Sprint Cup career, but he still managed to do so in just 32 races, compiling the win at Homestead, four top-5 and eight top-10 finishes.

By comparison, Hamlin finished higher than eight other full-time Cup competitors – including Casey Mears, Talladega spring winner David Ragan and Danica Patrick – in less races.

There were a number of critics that implored Hamlin to sit out the rest of the season and recuperate from the serious compression fracture he suffered at Fontana, that he needed complete rest and he was in effect hurting both himself and his team by playing hurt.

To his credit, Hamlin turned a deaf ear to the naysayers. And while admittedly his performance suffered, particularly in the middle of the season, he persevered and tuned out both his critics and the pain.

But no medicine could have made Hamlin feel better than the win at Homestead. Sure, his accomplishment was overshadowed by Jimmie Johnson winning his sixth Sprint Cup championship the same day, but Hamlin got exactly the kind of dose he needed: to go out a winner and build upon that momentum going into 2014.

“As the season got further towards the end, I started feeling better and better, and our performance just really started going with it,” he said. “Hopefully, my results (in 2014) go with all the hard work I’ve put in because I’ve done everything that I can to make sure that I’m well for this year. I don’t want to be the weak link, like I was during the summer, I feel like, for our team.”

So with the season opener now less than 10 days away, how is Hamlin feeling?

“I haven’t had anything, really,” he said when asked if he’s had any lingering pain. “Everything’s been good. I just feel so much stronger than I have been, so it shouldn’t be an issue at all. I think that really everything’s roses from here on out and we’ll see how it goes.”

Follow me @JerryBonkowski

Latest Posts
  1. Red Bull GRC: Rhys Millen, Hyundai score Daytona win

Aug 23, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT

GRCLogo

Millen becomes the fifth different winner of the GRC season in his Hyundai Veloster, beating out Ken Block and Bucky Lasek for the victory at Daytona International Speedway.

2. Belgian GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday

Aug 23, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

All of the latest news, reports and analysis from the Belgian Grand Prix paddock at Spa-Francorchamps.

3. WATCH LIVE: Lucas Oil Pro Motocross ends seasons in Utah at 3 p.m. ET

Aug 23, 2014, 2:45 PM EDT

Photo credit: ProMotocross.com/Matt Rice Photo credit: ProMotocross.com/Matt Rice

Click here to watch live coverage of the final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship on NBC Sports Live Extra today at 3 p.m. ET.

4. IndyCar: Ryan Hunter-Reay fastest in first Sonoma practice

Aug 23, 2014, 2:03 PM EDT

Iowa Corn Indy 300 - Day 1 Getty Images

RHR leads the way with a 1 minute, 17.7150 lap around the Sonoma Raceway road course in first practice for the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma.

5. WATCH LIVE: Red Bull Global Rallycross Daytona at 2:30 p.m. ET

Aug 23, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

GRCLogo

CLICK HERE for stream links to Round 6 of the 2014 Red Bull Global Rallycross championship from Daytona International Speedway.

6. Ecclestone: No concerns about taking F1 to Russia in six weeks’ time

Aug 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

F1 supremo confirms that he has no problems with taking F1 to Russia in October.

7. Roczen, Dungey will settle championship fight at Motocross season finale today

Aug 23, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT

The 450 Class championship battle between Ryan Dungey and Ken Roczen has come down to the final race of the season. Who will leave Utah with a title in hand?

8. Alonso matches best 2014 qualifying result at Spa

Aug 23, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Ferando Alonso AP

Fourth place a welcome surprise for Fernando Alonso and Ferrari.

9. WATCH LIVE: Utah National qualifying and pre-show at 1 p.m. ET; Tomac, Martin currently top the charts

Aug 23, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT

The final round of the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship has arrived. Watch the second qualifying session at 1 p.m. ET and the pre-show at 2:15 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Live Extra.

10. Bianchi impresses once again to make Q2 for Marussia

Aug 23, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Jules Bianchi AP

For the second year in a row, Bianchi managed to upset some of the bigger names during qualifying at Spa.

11. McLaren not planning to leave driver decision until off-season

Aug 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Great Britain - Practice Getty Images

Racing director Eric Boullier says that a decision will be made before the season is out.

12. Report: Darlington returning to Labor Day weekend on 2015 NASCAR schedule

Aug 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Jeff Gordon, Kyle Busch, Jimmie Johnson AP

The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series had raced at the track “Too Tough To Tame” on Labor Day weekend from 1950-2003.

13. Mistakes from Hulkenberg result in Q1 elimination

Aug 23, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

P18 on the grid goes down as the Hulk’s second-worst qualifying result in F1.

14. Vettel: Third the best Red Bull could achieve today

Aug 23, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

Defending world champion qualifies a distant third behind the two Mercedes cars on Saturday at Spa.

15. Brake problem hinders Hamilton in Q3, but he is pleased with P2

Aug 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

2008 world champion secures his first top five qualifying result since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June.

16. Rosberg delighted with “awesome” pole position at Spa

Aug 23, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Belgium - Qualifying Getty Images

Mercedes locks out the front row of the grid for the first time since the Canadian Grand Prix back in June, with Rosberg claiming pole at one of the sport’s most famous circuits.

17. Hamilton: Beating Rosberg when he’s at his best “more painful”

Aug 23, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Lewis wants to beat Rosberg when the German is at the peak of his powers, as the two drivers fight for this year’s F1 world title.

18. Rosberg tames wet conditions to claim Belgian GP pole

Aug 23, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT

Belgium F1 GP Auto Racing AP

German driver takes pole at a damp Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on Saturday afternoon.

19. Alonso accepts Ice Bucket Challenge, nominates Montezemolo and Briatore (VIDEO)

Aug 23, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT

Monaco F1 GP Auto Racing AP

The Ferrari driver took the plunge after being nominated by Felipe Massa and soccer player Juan Manuel Mata.

20. WATCH LIVE: Belgian GP qualifying – can anyone stop Mercedes?

Aug 23, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT

Nico Rosberg AP

You can watch qualifying from Spa-Francorchamps live on CNBC and Live Extra from 8am ET.

Video from NASCAR America

Why Bristol is such a unique track
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches