Feb 14, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Last week, we ran a preliminary Daytona 500 entry list based on confirmations and projections of entries from all offseason announcements.
There’s only one change from the list we outlined, and it’s an addition. The 48 cars listed last week are all on the official entry list, joined by the No. 40 Hillman Racing Chevrolet driven by Landon Cassill for the entry list completion of 49 cars.
VIEW: Official Entry List
More importantly perhaps is a rundown of owner points shuffles/changes and how the cars will qualify for the Daytona 500. The Daytona 500 qualifying format, unlike the remaining 35 NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year, is unchanged.
- The front row, positions 1-2, will be filled by single-car, two-lap time trials held on Sunday.
- Positions 3-32 are filled by the top 15 finishers in each of the Budweiser Duel races held Thursday night. The 16th place car gets in if either driver on the Daytona 500 front row finishes in the top 15.
- Positions 33-36 go to the four fastest qualifying speeds not already locked in via Duel results.
- Positions 37-42 are provisionals based on 2013 owner points, not already locked in by any of the above ways.
- Position 43 is a past champion’s provisional, descending in order from most recent past champ not already locked in.
And now, the owner points changes:
- At Richard Childress Racing, the No. 3 (Austin Dillon) takes the No. 29 points from Kevin Harvick last year.
- Harvick’s No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet will have the No. 39 points from Ryan Newman. As a new entry, Kurt Busch‘s No. 41 will not have any 2013 owner points to use, but he will have a past champion’s provisional available if needed.
- Michael Waltrip Racing shifts the No. 56 owner points from Martin Truex Jr. to Brian Vickers‘ No. 55, while Waltrip’s own No. 66 will take the No. 55 points.
- BK Racing’s No. 23 (Alex Bowman) will have the No. 93 2013 points; the No. 93 driven by Morgan Shepherd won’t have any as a new entrant fielded by MacDonald Motorsports, per Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass.
- The Randy Humphrey-fielded No. 77, driven by Dave Blaney, will take the No. 19 2013 points.
There are 14 cars entered that are outside the top 35 in 2013 entrant points, and eight of these 14 will make the field. So although three drivers have a past champion’s provisional available, they’ll likely need to qualify either on speed or via their Budweiser Duel result. They are arranged by owner points and include:
- 83-Ryan Truex, BK Racing (36th in 2013, 36 2013 attempts)
- 32-Terry Labonte, Go Fas Racing (37th, 36, plus eighth in PCP order)
- 33-Brian Scott, Richard Childress Racing (38th, 36)
- 35-Eric McClure, Front Row Motorsports (39th, 36)
- 87-Joe Nemechek, Jay Robinson (40th, 36)
- 21-Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers (41st, 12)
- 98-Josh Wise, Phil Parsons Racing (42nd, 33)
- 40-Landon Cassill, Hillman Racing (43rd, 16)
- 95-Michael McDowell, Leavine Family Racing (44th, 22)
- 77-Dave Blaney, Humphrey Racing (45th, 23)
- 41-Kurt Busch, Stewart-Haas Racing (New entry, 0, plus fourth in PCP order)
- 52-Bobby Labonte, HScott Motorsports (New entry, 0, plus seventh in PCP order)
- 26-Cole Whitt, Swan Racing (New entry, 0)
- 93-Morgan Shepherd, MacDonald Motorsports (New entry, 0)