Feb 14, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Last week, we ran a preliminary Daytona 500 entry list based on confirmations and projections of entries from all offseason announcements.
There’s only one change from the list we outlined, and it’s an addition. The 48 cars listed last week are all on the official entry list, joined by the No. 40 Hillman Racing Chevrolet driven by Landon Cassill for the entry list completion of 49 cars.
VIEW: Official Entry List
More importantly perhaps is a rundown of owner points shuffles/changes and how the cars will qualify for the Daytona 500. The Daytona 500 qualifying format, unlike the remaining 35 NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year, is unchanged.
- The front row, positions 1-2, will be filled by single-car, two-lap time trials held on Sunday.
- Positions 3-32 are filled by the top 15 finishers in each of the Budweiser Duel races held Thursday night. The 16th place car gets in if either driver on the Daytona 500 front row finishes in the top 15.
- Positions 33-36 go to the four fastest qualifying speeds not already locked in via Duel results.
- Positions 37-42 are provisionals based on 2013 owner points, not already locked in by any of the above ways.
- Position 43 is a past champion’s provisional, descending in order from most recent past champ not already locked in.
And now, the owner points changes:
- At Richard Childress Racing, the No. 3 (Austin Dillon) takes the No. 29 points from Kevin Harvick last year.
- Harvick’s No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet will have the No. 39 points from Ryan Newman. As a new entry, Kurt Busch‘s No. 41 will not have any 2013 owner points to use, but he will have a past champion’s provisional available if needed.
- Michael Waltrip Racing shifts the No. 56 owner points from Martin Truex Jr. to Brian Vickers‘ No. 55, while Waltrip’s own No. 66 will take the No. 55 points.
- BK Racing’s No. 23 (Alex Bowman) will have the No. 93 2013 points; the No. 93 driven by Morgan Shepherd won’t have any as a new entrant fielded by MacDonald Motorsports, per Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass.
- The Randy Humphrey-fielded No. 77, driven by Dave Blaney, will take the No. 19 2013 points.
There are 14 cars entered that are outside the top 35 in 2013 entrant points, and eight of these 14 will make the field. So although three drivers have a past champion’s provisional available, they’ll likely need to qualify either on speed or via their Budweiser Duel result. They are arranged by owner points and include:
- 83-Ryan Truex, BK Racing (36th in 2013, 36 2013 attempts)
- 32-Terry Labonte, Go Fas Racing (37th, 36, plus eighth in PCP order)
- 33-Brian Scott, Richard Childress Racing (38th, 36)
- 35-Eric McClure, Front Row Motorsports (39th, 36)
- 87-Joe Nemechek, Jay Robinson (40th, 36)
- 21-Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers (41st, 12)
- 98-Josh Wise, Phil Parsons Racing (42nd, 33)
- 40-Landon Cassill, Hillman Racing (43rd, 16)
- 95-Michael McDowell, Leavine Family Racing (44th, 22)
- 77-Dave Blaney, Humphrey Racing (45th, 23)
- 41-Kurt Busch, Stewart-Haas Racing (New entry, 0, plus fourth in PCP order)
- 52-Bobby Labonte, HScott Motorsports (New entry, 0, plus seventh in PCP order)
- 26-Cole Whitt, Swan Racing (New entry, 0)
- 93-Morgan Shepherd, MacDonald Motorsports (New entry, 0)
Nov 20, 2014, 8:29 PM EST
Joey Logano on a turnaround and breakout season.
Nov 20, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
After a month of voting and more than 350 ballots cast by their peers on all Sprint Cup teams, the top pit crew members and overall pit crews of 2014 were announced Thursday.
Nov 20, 2014, 5:56 PM EST
The No. 17 Roush Fenway Racing team dodged a bullet Thursday when NASCAR announced less severe than expected penalties for unapproved rear suspension parts found last weekend at Homestead.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
All the latest from the ground in Abu Dhabi from NBCSN’s Will Buxton in this week’s “Paddock Pass.”
Nov 20, 2014, 4:18 PM EST
TV times, title outlooks for this weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Nov 20, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Big night of F1 on NBC from 7 p.m. ET.
Nov 20, 2014, 3:09 PM EST
If you like wild, crazy and unpredictable, you won’t want to miss Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, airing LIVE at 5 pm ET on NBCSN.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:31 PM EST
In this edition of NASCAR Minute, Rick Allen and Kyle Petty talk about the wackiest things they saw this race season.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
After his departure from Ferrari was announced today, Alonso drops the biggest hint yet that he will be driving for McLaren in 2015.
Nov 20, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
What would the final 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup point standings look like if there had been no Chase format? Would Kevin Harvick still have finished No. 1? You might be surprised.
Nov 20, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
New paint scheme for Danica Patrick’s No. 10 in 2015.
Nov 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Gunning for his second world championship, Hamilton can be sure of the title by finishing second in Abu Dhabi – but will the pressure get to him?
Nov 20, 2014, 11:35 AM EST
How will Will Stevens’ debut go? He’s in a rare spot, making an in-season debut.
Nov 20, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
A few little things to look out for during this weekend’s race in Abu Dhabi.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:45 AM EST
Kasey Kahne’s arrival shouldn’t change the arrival of Chase Elliott at Hendrick Motorsports, but it may change the date.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Mexican driver admits trying to take a step down out of a race seat for 2015 is a risk, but feels it is the best move for his future.
Nov 20, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Matthew Brabham replaces Charles Pic in FE this weekend.
With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1
Nov 20, 2014, 10:00 AM EST
Ferrari, McLaren, Red Bull and Lotus will be very different teams in 2015.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Kasey Kahne re-ups with Hendrick for three more years.
Nov 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EST
Mexican driver all but certain to stay with Force India for 2015, with the finer details of his contract being ironed.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0