Feb 14, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
Last week, we ran a preliminary Daytona 500 entry list based on confirmations and projections of entries from all offseason announcements.
There’s only one change from the list we outlined, and it’s an addition. The 48 cars listed last week are all on the official entry list, joined by the No. 40 Hillman Racing Chevrolet driven by Landon Cassill for the entry list completion of 49 cars.
VIEW: Official Entry List
More importantly perhaps is a rundown of owner points shuffles/changes and how the cars will qualify for the Daytona 500. The Daytona 500 qualifying format, unlike the remaining 35 NASCAR Sprint Cup races this year, is unchanged.
- The front row, positions 1-2, will be filled by single-car, two-lap time trials held on Sunday.
- Positions 3-32 are filled by the top 15 finishers in each of the Budweiser Duel races held Thursday night. The 16th place car gets in if either driver on the Daytona 500 front row finishes in the top 15.
- Positions 33-36 go to the four fastest qualifying speeds not already locked in via Duel results.
- Positions 37-42 are provisionals based on 2013 owner points, not already locked in by any of the above ways.
- Position 43 is a past champion’s provisional, descending in order from most recent past champ not already locked in.
And now, the owner points changes:
- At Richard Childress Racing, the No. 3 (Austin Dillon) takes the No. 29 points from Kevin Harvick last year.
- Harvick’s No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet will have the No. 39 points from Ryan Newman. As a new entry, Kurt Busch‘s No. 41 will not have any 2013 owner points to use, but he will have a past champion’s provisional available if needed.
- Michael Waltrip Racing shifts the No. 56 owner points from Martin Truex Jr. to Brian Vickers‘ No. 55, while Waltrip’s own No. 66 will take the No. 55 points.
- BK Racing’s No. 23 (Alex Bowman) will have the No. 93 2013 points; the No. 93 driven by Morgan Shepherd won’t have any as a new entrant fielded by MacDonald Motorsports, per Sporting News’ Bob Pockrass.
- The Randy Humphrey-fielded No. 77, driven by Dave Blaney, will take the No. 19 2013 points.
There are 14 cars entered that are outside the top 35 in 2013 entrant points, and eight of these 14 will make the field. So although three drivers have a past champion’s provisional available, they’ll likely need to qualify either on speed or via their Budweiser Duel result. They are arranged by owner points and include:
- 83-Ryan Truex, BK Racing (36th in 2013, 36 2013 attempts)
- 32-Terry Labonte, Go Fas Racing (37th, 36, plus eighth in PCP order)
- 33-Brian Scott, Richard Childress Racing (38th, 36)
- 35-Eric McClure, Front Row Motorsports (39th, 36)
- 87-Joe Nemechek, Jay Robinson (40th, 36)
- 21-Trevor Bayne, Wood Brothers (41st, 12)
- 98-Josh Wise, Phil Parsons Racing (42nd, 33)
- 40-Landon Cassill, Hillman Racing (43rd, 16)
- 95-Michael McDowell, Leavine Family Racing (44th, 22)
- 77-Dave Blaney, Humphrey Racing (45th, 23)
- 41-Kurt Busch, Stewart-Haas Racing (New entry, 0, plus fourth in PCP order)
- 52-Bobby Labonte, HScott Motorsports (New entry, 0, plus seventh in PCP order)
- 26-Cole Whitt, Swan Racing (New entry, 0)
- 93-Morgan Shepherd, MacDonald Motorsports (New entry, 0)
Oct 24, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Bernie Ecclestone allows the team to miss the next two races as it searches for a buyer.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Deputy team boss Federico Gastaldi says the team is close to finalizing its drive line-up, with Grosjean in pole position for the seat.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
A win for Kenseth this Sunday would also put him into the Sprint Cup Championship Race at Homestead next month.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT
Two-time Formula One World Champion Emerson Fittipaldi will make an appearance at Austin’s Circuit of the Americas next week as part of a COTA fan experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Ricciardo full of praise for Austin and the Circuit of the Americas ahead of next weekend’s race.
The man behind the sculptures: William Behrends’ presence endures for Borg-Warner Trophy, and Giants legends
Oct 24, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Statues outside AT&T Park and the faces on the Borg-Warner Trophy share a common thread, in sculptor William Behrends.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Dr. Jean-Francois Payen says that he has noticed some progress in Schumacher’s recovery.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Sauber also complete a test in Spain with Adderly Fong and Roy Nissany.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:30 AM EDT
Just like Arrows and Super Aguri before it, Caterham is on its last legs. However, it is going out in far less dignified fashion.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:26 AM EDT
Finnbarr O’Connell is now in charge at Leafield as the team prepares for a race against time to make the United States GP in Austin next weekend.
Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday
Oct 23, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
This is a column that should never have been written, about an event that never should have happened.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:24 PM EDT
Legendary motorsports team owner and innovator — and Kentucky native — Jack Roush will be inducted this Saturday into the Kentucky Motorsports Hall of Fame. Roush was born in Covington, Ky.
Oct 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
On Thursday’s edition of NASCAR America, Kyle Petty joined Dave Briggs to mark the 10-year anniversary of the Hendrick Motorsports plane crash and how the team recovered from it.
Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months
Oct 23, 2014, 7:37 PM EDT
For the second time in 18 months, police in the area of Talladega Superspeedway are investigating the disappearance of a race fan who had intended to go to the Sprint Cup race at the 2.66-mile racetrack.
Enrique Contreras III, nephew of Carlos Contreras, to make first NASCAR truck race start at Martinsville
Oct 23, 2014, 7:02 PM EDT
Enrique Contreras III, nephew of veteran Mexican racer Carlos Contreras, will make his NASCAR debut in Saturday’s Camping World Truck Race at Martinsville Speedway.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
GTSport Racing returns with Jack Baldwin and Buz McCall.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
Martinsville preview on tap in Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Marsh, Cameron on the move to Action Express.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
Fernandes claims he didn’t receive full payment for Caterham, the new owners claim they haven’t received their shares, Bernie Ecclestone says he is trying to remedy the situation – but all the while, workers are locked out of the factory, putting the team’s hopes of making Austin in doubt.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Brendan Gaughan back for another year with RCR in XFINITY.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 0
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 13
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2