Feb 15, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
The first two hours of single-car runs are in the books for Daytona 500 practice, and Richard Childress Racing dominated the timesheets in the first official session of the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
Paul Menard was quickest as four of the top five drivers were from the RCR camp. The Wisconsin native turned a flier of 195.042, with Ryan Newman second in the No. 31 Caterpillar Chevrolet, and youngsters Austin Dillon and Brian Scott fourth and fifth.
Two-time Daytona 500 champion Matt Kenseth was the lone interloper in the top five in the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota, at 194.561.
The second two-hour practice session occurs at 1:30 p.m. ET.
VIEW: Practice 1 Times
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3